Jungle Out There Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 48 of 48

Thread: Sam Burgess

  1. #26
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I will always remember that hit on Fui Fui Moimoi... WOW...

  2. #27
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,827
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    It is a shame but he's hardly going to go hungry. I think he'd make a good coach in any case.
    Maybe not, but I imagine his shoulder will be giving him some serious grief as he gets older.

  3. #28
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Yep. Top of the biff highlights that one.

    Lets hope he recovers fully and unexpectedly signs for Saints and regains his best form ��

  4. #29
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rainhill
    Age
    71
    Posts
    2,084
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Fearless competitor. Very much like a young Morley. Thompson is in the same mould. These brave players always stick in the mind.

  5. #30
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,602
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I will always remember that hit on Fui Fui Moimoi... WOW...
    If ever you wanted a tackle to get your team going, that was it.

  6. #31
    Learning All The Songs Nickles Forearm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    1,973
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If ever you wanted a tackle to get your team going, that was it.
    Perfect example in one moment of why we should never have fully banned the ‘shoulder charge’. To the head = penalty everywhere else = fair game. The sport lost something for me when we followed the ‘we would rather play pile on’ gang.

  7. #32
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,602
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Perfect example in one moment of why we should never have fully banned the ‘shoulder charge’. To the head = penalty everywhere else = fair game. The sport lost something for me when we followed the ‘we would rather play pile on’ gang.
    As long as it’s below the head, not much different to carrying the ball in shoulder first.

  8. #33
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Perfect example in one moment of why we should never have fully banned the ‘shoulder charge’. To the head = penalty everywhere else = fair game. The sport lost something for me when we followed the ‘we would rather play pile on’ gang.
    100%

  9. #34
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,678
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Perfect example in one moment of why we should never have fully banned the ‘shoulder charge’. To the head = penalty everywhere else = fair game. The sport lost something for me when we followed the ‘we would rather play pile on’ gang.
    100% agree let players hit with the shoulder but give them 6-8 games if they hit the head.

  10. #35
    Learning All The Songs Jackbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,249
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    A great player who perhaps over here has not been visable over the last five years only in International games? But he was great in the NRL.

    Sad loss to the game.

  11. #36
    In The South Stand OoOGazOoO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincs.
    Posts
    2,608
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Absolutely gutted to see this, a bit late behind the news, I hadn't realised he had retired.

    What a player, absolutely fearless, and an ultimate competitor.

    Huge loss to the game.

  12. #37
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Sam Burges woz ded gud. Hope he doesn't retyre for long

  13. #38
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,877
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cgsaint View Post
    sam burges woz ded gud. Hope he doesn't retyre for long

    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  14. #39
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,602
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Bit of a story from behind the scenes. I aalways thought he was treated badly with the differing positional selections but apparently it went a bit deeper.

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/52912941

  15. #40
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,877
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bit of a story from behind the scenes. I aalways thought he was treated badly with the differing positional selections but apparently it went a bit deeper.

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/52912941

    That's pretty forthright. Well in, Sam. Of course, it would likely have stayed behind closed doors if Ford hadn't have made the 'lacks the stomach' comment.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  16. #41
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    369
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That's pretty forthright. Well in, Sam. Of course, it would likely have stayed behind closed doors if Ford hadn't have made the 'lacks the stomach' comment.
    I think it was just an incredibly weird move from all involved, and one in hindsight all parties would want to undo, Burgess was headhunted by the RFU to play in the World Cup despite not playing a game of Union before and not having a set position, he started off playing centre for Bath, then moved to flanker, yet played at centre for England and looked out of place. I am glad he was able to get this off his chest as it mustn’t have been a great time for him and he got pretty much throw under the bus after England exited the World Cup, he had the dignity to wait until his career had finished to air it.

  17. #42
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,069
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Its a shame the way it all worked out with Burgess. He should have come over a year earlier though if he truly wanted to integrate himself into the game before the World Cup. His best rugby was all at 6 and it became apparent he was never going to be an international standard 12 whereas with his defensive capabilities plus his ball carrying ability he could have been a top class 6. The whole thing was mismanaged from the very start.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  18. #43
    WARNING! PIE EATER!
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    The union guys at England level don't have a clue where to play league converts who played in the pack. Most would make excellent 6,7 or 8s in union but the coaches for some reason expect them to play in the centres. Andy Farrell played his last season at Wigan mainly at prop yet somehow got shoe horned into playing centre years after all Wigan fans knew he had lost the pace of his younger days. Bizarrely the best game I saw Farrell play in Union was at Fly half when he came on as a sub for the BaaBaas when his range of passing and pass selection was on another level compared to the union guys. The only England union players capable of decent cut out passes are Owen Farrell and George Ford who learned their trade in league.

  19. #44
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,687
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    There is a lot of truth in that post but it also reminds me of being at an international match at Leigh I had the luck to find myself sitting next to two ladies who were Wigan fans and half way through the first half I politely said to them this is England you have come to watch not Wigan , because they only noticed the Wigan players . That is what doc did then.

  20. #45
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,687
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I sat elsewhere for the second half.

  21. #46
    In The South Stand Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,520
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    The union guys at England level don't have a clue where to play league converts who played in the pack. Most would make excellent 6,7 or 8s in union but the coaches for some reason expect them to play in the centres. Andy Farrell played his last season at Wigan mainly at prop yet somehow got shoe horned into playing centre years after all Wigan fans knew he had lost the pace of his younger days. Bizarrely the best game I saw Farrell play in Union was at Fly half when he came on as a sub for the BaaBaas when his range of passing and pass selection was on another level compared to the union guys. The only England union players capable of decent cut out passes are Owen Farrell and George Ford who learned their trade in league.
    I think you’ll find that Cipriani is a better ball handler than either Farrell or Ford and I doubt he’s ever been near Wigan.

  22. #47
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    487
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Do Wigan have a forum now? It's just bizarre how they use this forum to engage around their team and not really general RL.

  23. #48
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6,602
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Do Wigan have a forum now? It's just bizarre how they use this forum to engage around their team and not really general RL.
    6 fingers 1/2 a brain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •