Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sam Burgess

Learning All The Songs

I will always remember that hit on Fui Fui Moimoi... WOW...

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    It is a shame but he's hardly going to go hungry. I think he'd make a good coach in any case.
    Maybe not, but I imagine his shoulder will be giving him some serious grief as he gets older.

Learning All The Songs

Yep. Top of the biff highlights that one.

Lets hope he recovers fully and unexpectedly signs for Saints and regains his best form ��

Learning All The Songs

Fearless competitor. Very much like a young Morley. Thompson is in the same mould. These brave players always stick in the mind.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I will always remember that hit on Fui Fui Moimoi... WOW...
    If ever you wanted a tackle to get your team going, that was it.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If ever you wanted a tackle to get your team going, that was it.
    Perfect example in one moment of why we should never have fully banned the ‘shoulder charge’. To the head = penalty everywhere else = fair game. The sport lost something for me when we followed the ‘we would rather play pile on’ gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Perfect example in one moment of why we should never have fully banned the ‘shoulder charge’. To the head = penalty everywhere else = fair game. The sport lost something for me when we followed the ‘we would rather play pile on’ gang.
    As long as it’s below the head, not much different to carrying the ball in shoulder first.

Banned

100%

In The South Stand

100% agree let players hit with the shoulder but give them 6-8 games if they hit the head.

A great player who perhaps over here has not been visable over the last five years only in International games? But he was great in the NRL.

Sad loss to the game.

Absolutely gutted to see this, a bit late behind the news, I hadn't realised he had retired.

What a player, absolutely fearless, and an ultimate competitor.

Huge loss to the game.

Learning All The Songs

Sam Burges woz ded gud. Hope he doesn't retyre for long

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cgsaint View Post
    sam burges woz ded gud. Hope he doesn't retyre for long

Bit of a story from behind the scenes. I aalways thought he was treated badly with the differing positional selections but apparently it went a bit deeper.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/52912941

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bit of a story from behind the scenes. I aalways thought he was treated badly with the differing positional selections but apparently it went a bit deeper.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/52912941

That's pretty forthright. Well in, Sam. Of course, it would likely have stayed behind closed doors if Ford hadn't have made the 'lacks the stomach' comment.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That's pretty forthright. Well in, Sam. Of course, it would likely have stayed behind closed doors if Ford hadn't have made the 'lacks the stomach' comment.
    I think it was just an incredibly weird move from all involved, and one in hindsight all parties would want to undo, Burgess was headhunted by the RFU to play in the World Cup despite not playing a game of Union before and not having a set position, he started off playing centre for Bath, then moved to flanker, yet played at centre for England and looked out of place. I am glad he was able to get this off his chest as it mustn’t have been a great time for him and he got pretty much throw under the bus after England exited the World Cup, he had the dignity to wait until his career had finished to air it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

It’s a shame the way it all worked out with Burgess. He should have come over a year earlier though if he truly wanted to integrate himself into the game before the World Cup. His best rugby was all at 6 and it became apparent he was never going to be an international standard 12 whereas with his defensive capabilities plus his ball carrying ability he could have been a top class 6. The whole thing was mismanaged from the very start.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

The union guys at England level don't have a clue where to play league converts who played in the pack. Most would make excellent 6,7 or 8s in union but the coaches for some reason expect them to play in the centres. Andy Farrell played his last season at Wigan mainly at prop yet somehow got shoe horned into playing centre years after all Wigan fans knew he had lost the pace of his younger days. Bizarrely the best game I saw Farrell play in Union was at Fly half when he came on as a sub for the BaaBaas when his range of passing and pass selection was on another level compared to the union guys. The only England union players capable of decent cut out passes are Owen Farrell and George Ford who learned their trade in league.

In The South Stand

There is a lot of truth in that post but it also reminds me of being at an international match at Leigh I had the luck to find myself sitting next to two ladies who were Wigan fans and half way through the first half I politely said to them this is England you have come to watch not Wigan , because they only noticed the Wigan players . That is what doc did then.

In The South Stand

I sat elsewhere for the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    The union guys at England level don't have a clue where to play league converts who played in the pack. Most would make excellent 6,7 or 8s in union but the coaches for some reason expect them to play in the centres. Andy Farrell played his last season at Wigan mainly at prop yet somehow got shoe horned into playing centre years after all Wigan fans knew he had lost the pace of his younger days. Bizarrely the best game I saw Farrell play in Union was at Fly half when he came on as a sub for the BaaBaas when his range of passing and pass selection was on another level compared to the union guys. The only England union players capable of decent cut out passes are Owen Farrell and George Ford who learned their trade in league.
    I think you’ll find that Cipriani is a better ball handler than either Farrell or Ford and I doubt he’s ever been near Wigan.

Banned

Do Wigan have a forum now? It's just bizarre how they use this forum to engage around their team and not really general RL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Do Wigan have a forum now? It's just bizarre how they use this forum to engage around their team and not really general RL.
    6 fingers 1/2 a brain

Not good news for Sam. A real fall from grace, where does he go now?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55943949

Learning All The Songs

His ex and her father sound like real pieces of shit.
    Looking in from the outside.