Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sam Burgess

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    No dog in this fight but having seen at first hand the depths people descend to when relationships end, tit for tat family wars and permanently antagonistic attitudes and acts based around ruining peoples lives and revenge, I’m inclined to think that there were no innocent’s in that particular episode.....

A direct quote from the court case stated that “ During the court proceedings, Phoebe and her father Mitch Hooke admitted to cooperating with a journalist they knew who wrote stories accusing Burgess of drug use and domestic violence”
    Is this the same court case that the father in law was described as “impressive, believable and consistent" in his testimony by the judge?

Reacher is right; the information that is coming out regarding Burgess is pretty damning and any defence for him by outsiders appears along the lines of ‘heez a dead gud player so he must be a top fella.’ If the only case his defence have is his ex talking to the media versus what is coming out on SB then thats pretty sad.

I agree relationships going to the dogs can cause us to go to the bottom of the barrel. I wouldn't wish that stress on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post

I agree relationships going to the dogs can cause us to go to the bottom of the barrel. I wouldn't wish that stress on anyone.
    That was my point. I don’t know anything other than that.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Is this the same court case that the father in law was described as “impressive, believable and consistent" in his testimony by the judge?
    The magistrate that admitted he knew the father-in-laws family during the trial and didnt recuse himself you mean? Not defending SB, but that doesnt seem right in my eyes.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Regardless of what happened before.

Driving without a license under the influence of drugs is just downright criminal. Not only that, but being in that state when going to pick your kids up?

Absolutely no sympathy for him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    It is very difficult to avoid picking up that accent when you live there!
    I lived there longer than Burgess without picking up an Aussie accent. At the time I was single so was working and playing rugby and sharing houses with Aussies

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I lived there longer than Burgess without picking up an Aussie accent. At the time I was single so was working and playing rugby and sharing houses with Aussies
    Maybe the Belgian accent counteracts the “Strine”?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Maybe the Belgian accent counteracts the “Strine”?
    BS sounds like a cross between Tin Tin and Bernard Dwyer.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Tea well and truly snorted!

People not understanding my accent probably got me out of lots of awkward questions when giving presentations.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    People not understanding my accent probably got me out of lots of awkward questions when giving presentations.
    It's an art form, being able to speed up and slow down when needed. I quickly learned that in my early days in Holland.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Regardless of what happened before.

Driving without a license under the influence of drugs is just downright criminal. Not only that, but being in that state when going to pick your kids up?

Absolutely no sympathy for him.
    in mitigation, the lack of license is only an administrative thing as he should have applied for an aussie license to replace his international permit when he became a resident a few months ago.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by el ste View Post
    in mitigation, the lack of license is only an administrative thing as he should have applied for an aussie license to replace his international permit when he became a resident a few months ago.
    There is no mitigation, you either have a licence or you don't. Its a statutory requirement to drive a car. If you don't have one, you don't drive and if you do drive and get caught, there is no 'yeah but' allowed. That's the least of his concerns it would appear, the drug driving and for me, the worst part, he was on his way to pick up his very young children, literally putting their lives in grave danger.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    The magistrate that admitted he knew the father-in-laws family during the trial and didnt recuse himself you mean? Not defending SB, but that doesnt seem right in my eyes.
    I can’t see much relevance that had to do with the interpretation and application of law against the facts presented in the case. I should imagine many people ‘know’ and are acquainted in the legal circuit but it doesn't stop their impartiality or proper execution of law when they are in the courtroom. It's a pretty low Daily Mirror type line of argument by SB if indeed that's been put forward. A law room is exactly that, not a feelings or cheap speculation room.

Learning All The Songs

I can’t see much relevance that had to do with the interpretation and application of law against the facts presented in the case. I should imagine many people ‘know’ and are acquainted in the legal circuit but it doesn't stop their impartiality or proper execution of law when they are in the courtroom. It's a pretty low Daily Mirror type line of argument by SB if indeed that's been put forward. A law room is exactly that, not a feelings or cheap speculation room.
    The law, and those involved in discharging it, is meant to be impartial. Its hardly impartial if the magistrate in charge of the proceedings knows members of the prosecutions main witness family members. His father in law has nothing to do with the legal circuit, he was in the mining industry, so its not like they knew each other from that circuit as you allege. Sam Burgess may well be guilty of what he has been accused of, but there are elements of the conviction could quite easily be seen as unsafe, because its quite easy to describe someone as “ impressive, believable and consistent” when you have prior knowledge of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post
    There is no mitigation, you either have a licence or you don't. Its a statutory requirement to drive a car. If you don't have one, you don't drive and if you do drive and get caught, there is no 'yeah but' allowed. That's the least of his concerns it would appear, the drug driving and for me, the worst part, he was on his way to pick up his very young children, literally putting their lives in grave danger.
    he does have a license, two in fact, his british one and an international driving permitwhich allowed him to drive in australia as a 'visitor.' his crime was that he hadn't changed them for an aussie one when he became resident. it's not like he'd been disqualified or not passed a test. i'm not defending his other behaviour, merely clarifying the situation of not having a license.

Quote Originally Posted by el ste View Post
    he does have a license, two in fact, his british one and an international driving permitwhich allowed him to drive in australia as a 'visitor.' his crime was that he hadn't changed them for an aussie one when he became resident. it's not like he'd been disqualified or not passed a test. i'm not defending his other behaviour, merely clarifying the situation of not having a license.
    I'm not defending Burgess for any of his actions, but as you say this is pretty minor. I have been in the same situation myself in being slow to get a local licence where I have lived. In that situation companies are quite happy to insure you, which is far more important than the licence.

And now overturned..... interesting quote:

Mr Hooke and Phoebe admitted co-operating with a reporter they both knew who in October last year wrote stories accusing Burgess of domestic abuse and wild partying.

Judge Williams noted those stories appeared when the intimidation charge had already been listed for hearing and said Mr Hooke and his daughter could have avoided helping to craft them.

'Surely a more prudent course would have been… to say no, we don't want to participate in any media articles now because there's a hearing coming up next months and we shouldn't be thrashing this out in the media.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc...icle/100018102

Learning All The Songs

And now overturned..... interesting quote:

Mr Hooke and Phoebe admitted co-operating with a reporter they both knew who in October last year wrote stories accusing Burgess of domestic abuse and wild partying.

Judge Williams noted those stories appeared when the intimidation charge had already been listed for hearing and said Mr Hooke and his daughter could have avoided helping to craft them.

'Surely a more prudent course would have been… to say no, we don't want to participate in any media articles now because there's a hearing coming up next months and we shouldn't be thrashing this out in the media.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc...icle/100018102
    I think common sense has prevailed there, especially with the evidence of Mitchell Hooke and his daughter speaking to lawyers and a pr expert prior to calling 000, if anything it paints them in a really bad light. The whole thing reads as an act to ensure she gets custody of the children and to limit SB’s access to them.

Banned

I think common sense has prevailed there, especially with the evidence of Mitchell Hooke and his daughter speaking to lawyers and a pr expert prior to calling 000, if anything it paints them in a really bad light. The whole thing reads as an act to ensure she gets custody of the children and to limit SB’s access to them.
    I agree with you mate. The saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" comes to mind. I can certainly relate to that one.

I agree with you mate. The saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" comes to mind. I can certainly relate to that one.
    I said earlier in the thread

No dog in this fight but having seen at first hand the depths people descend to when relationships end, tit for tat family wars and permanently antagonistic attitudes and acts based around ruining peoples lives and revenge, I’m inclined to think that there were no innocent’s in that particular episode.....”

I’ve seen someone commit an act of virtually complete self-destruction and try to ruin 2 whole families in an act of revenge after being jilted. It happened in 2007 and repercussion’s are still being felt within those families due to children being involved, ironically by taking children to Australia in a vendetta against the Father and grandparents....... the children are now no longer children.....

Banned

The quote is actually Heave knows no rage like love to hatred turned
    Nor fury like a woman scorned

Banned

I said earlier in the thread

No dog in this fight but having seen at first hand the depths people descend to when relationships end, tit for tat family wars and permanently antagonistic attitudes and acts based around ruining peoples lives and revenge, I’m inclined to think that there were no innocent’s in that particular episode.....”

I’ve seen someone commit an act of virtually complete self-destruction and try to ruin 2 whole families in an act of revenge after being jilted. It happened in 2007 and repercussion’s are still being felt within those families due to children being involved, ironically by taking children to Australia in a vendetta against the Father and grandparents....... the children are now no longer children.....
    I've been there, fortunately I wouldn't let it get silly like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    The quote is actually Heave knows no rage like love to hatred turned
    Nor fury like a woman scorned
    If you're going to correct me at least get your spelling right. I was quoting Ian Brown and he's more of a wordsmith than either me or you.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 19th March 2021 at 14:58. Reason: Goodtimes

Banned

It was a 'their word against theirs' and in the circumstances, with an acquaintance of Hooke as a magistrate in the first case, it's probably the correct verdict.

That doesn't mean he was definitely innocent.

And certainly doesn't mean all the other reported incidents of Burgess acting threateningly/violently/psychotically didn't happen, either.

He's a guy with a very unpleasant side to him, which seems to especially rear itself when he can't handle his drink or drugs.

I've been there, fortunately I wouldn't let it get silly like that.

I would have said something similar about the people involved (not me by the way) until it happened, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It was a 'their word against theirs' and in the circumstances, with an acquaintance of Hooke as a magistrate in the first case, it's probably the correct verdict.

That doesn't mean he was definitely innocent.

And certainly doesn't mean all the other reported incidents of Burgess acting threateningly/violently/psychotically didn't happen, either.

He's a guy with a very unpleasant side to him, which seems to especially rear itself when he can't handle his drink or drugs.

I don’t think anyone is naive enough to believe that a lot of 18stone blokes who intimidate each other and smash the living daylights out of each other and take delight in the huge collisions and impacts won’t have an unpleasant side or aren’t capable of acts of intimidation and possibly violence off the pitch, or sometimes enjoy hugely excessive drinking sessions that cloud the judgement and can lead to bust ups or even the use of drug for recreation.

I stand by my comment “I’m inclined to think that there were no innocent’s in that particular episode....“