Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powell to leave Castleford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default Powell to leave Castleford

Leaving at the end of the season. Going to Warrington?

https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...u4is6D0GLjCSeE
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Going to Warrington with Trueman and possibly Evalds, too.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

I'd be quite happy him going to Warrington, he seems to have lost his way as a coach. I'd be less happy about them getting Evalds, I really rate him.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    After spending so much time at Cas I think he will want to go to a bigger club more like Wigan 😂

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I was hoping Evalds would be coming to us next year when Coote leaves but suspect we'll go with Welsby at #1.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    I was hoping Evalds would be coming to us next year when Coote leaves but suspect we'll go with Welsby at #1.
    I still think Coote will extend his contract. I know there's been talk of him going back home after this deal but I can't see him turning down another year or two here on decent money. 31 in a couple of weeks so not likely to get a club back in Australia.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'd be quite happy him going to Warrington, he seems to have lost his way as a coach. I'd be less happy about them getting Evalds, I really rate him.
    I have no idea if the bloke with a face like a wet weekend in skeggy is coming to us or not. If he does i hope that it is him that has identified the talent they have had and coached other players to the next level.
    He seems to have an eye for wingers, hookers and halfbacks.
    I suppose in a way he has reason to be miserable losing players like Clark, Denny Solomona, Hardaker, Gale, Chase and still be trying to compete on what must be a limited budget. Can't be a very inspiring workplace either. The HJ will seem positively palatial!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    I have no idea if the bloke with a face like a wet weekend in skeggy is coming to us or not. If he does i hope that it is him that has identified the talent they have had and coached other players to the next level.
    He seems to have an eye for wingers, hookers and halfbacks.
    I suppose in a way he has reason to be miserable losing players like Clark, Denny Solomona, Hardaker, Gale, Chase and still be trying to compete on what must be a limited budget. Can't be a very inspiring workplace either. The HJ will seem positively palatial!
    Well, yeah, you have a point but he's had chances to move in the past. You'd have to say it's a reasonable guess though he'd be going to Wire.

I must admit, I think you can do much better than him, he does seem to have a good eye for young players but he doesn't have a great deal else. I'm not saying he didn't have an influence in 2017 but he had a good set of players and no shortage of luck either, they've done nothing since while he's turned into a massive crank who spits his dummy every 2 minutes. The other thing being, he'll be expected to start well at your place, I'm not sure he'll like that pressure.

In The South Stand

Suppose it will come down to where they see Ashton long-term. I’d have thought they would go with Ashton at 1 because I think he’s a bit wasted on the wing.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Well, yeah, you have a point but he's had chances to move in the past. You'd have to say it's a reasonable guess though he'd be going to Wire.

I must admit, I think you can do much better than him, he does seem to have a good eye for young players but he doesn't have a great deal else. I'm not saying he didn't have an influence in 2017 but he had a good set of players and no shortage of luck either, they've done nothing since while he's turned into a massive crank who spits his dummy every 2 minutes. The other thing being, he'll be expected to start well at your place, I'm sure he'll like that pressure.
    I'm not sure who else there would be to go for though. There was a strong rumour of Wane, but I can't say I was massively enthused. Watson would have been my choice if he hadn't just gone to Fartown. Powell has shown he can get his team to play entertaining rugby and that is a definite plus. Despite it being a few of years since our last Championship I'm not a "win at all costs" supporter (I know, it is probably just as well).
    I wasn't keen on us recruiting and then retaining Price, but I'm not much of a judge as I didn't think much of Holbrook when you recruited him. Que sera sera.
    Last edited by Wolfie McWolf; 19th March 2021 at 13:28. Reason: typo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    I'm not sure who else there would be to go for though. There was a strong rumour of Wane, but I can't say I was massively enthused. Watson would have been my choice if he hadn't just gone to Fartown. Powell has shown he can get his team to play entertaining rugby and that is a definite plus. Despite it being a few of years since our last Championship I'm not a "win at all costs" supporter (I know, it is probably just as well).
    I wasn't keen on us recruiting and then retaining Price, but I'm not much of a judge as I didn't think much of Holbrook when you recruited him. Que sera sera.
    Yeah, true enough, there isn't many coaches about unless you took a punt on a Aussie. I think we'll go for Watson once Woolf goes home, I hope so anyway. I wouldn't fancy watching a Wane team every week, to be honest, I think he's in the right job.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I still think Coote will extend his contract. I know there's been talk of him going back home after this deal but I can't see him turning down another year or two here on decent money. 31 in a couple of weeks so not likely to get a club back in Australia.
    I will be surprised if Coote stays on given that he has a young family and will have done a 3 year stint by the end of the season

Learning All The Songs

Woolfy is out of contract this year? just saying????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    I will be surprised if Coote stays on given that he has a young family and will have done a 3 year stint by the end of the season
    Interesting point.

If he goes back, what price him doing a job at Gold Coast for Justin maybe? However my opinion is that based on his age and limited future (what’s he got left in him? 3 years? 4 years??) and he might not get a 3 year contract in Oz
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

I must admit, I think you can do much better than him, he does seem to have a good eye for young players but he doesn't have a great deal else. I'm not saying he didn't have an influence in 2017 but he had a good set of players and no shortage of luck either, they've done nothing since

Before he joined Cas they had finished 9th, 13th and were bottom of SL. And he came fresh from leading Fev to 3 straight Championships.

With few resources, he moulded a team (with a few astute signings) into one that finished 4th, 5th, 6th, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and got to the CCF in 2014. He's had to contend with players being tempted away by bigger clubs paying bigger wages, and that 2017 GF loss was shaped by the Hardaker suspension (not just losing a focal point of that team, but the impact of the news on other players)

I don't think he's the sort of coaching genius many were claiming after that 2017 season, and I'd have major doubts if he was given the job here, but to write off that 2017 season as lucky is unfair. He's a good coach, who for a spell had his team playing the best rugby in the competition at a time when the coaching zeitgeist was a bore-a-thon grind.

It'll be interesting to see how he does at a club with much deeper pockets (and dubious salary cap enforcement)

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Interesting point.

If he goes back, what price him doing a job at Gold Coast for Justin maybe? However my opinion is that based on his age and limited future (what’s he got left in him? 3 years? 4 years??) and he might not get a 3 year contract in Oz
    I'd be surprised if Coote could get an NRL contract for 2022, especially at Gold Coast who have one of the best full backs in the competition at the moment in AJ Brimson.

I'm sure Saints and Coote have had some preliminary talks already and it's a big decision for the club because isn't Fages off contact at the end of this season too? Will James Roby want to do another year as well? 2021 is the third year of the Coote, Lomax, Fages & Roby combination and will that be enough? It will be interesting to see how much game time Welsby, Dodd and Smith get this year to stake a claim for starting spots this season and for 2022.

On Powell, I think he's a good British coach and I hope he stays in the sport. I think he would be a good option for Warrington.

Regards,

STEVO

Got A Season Ticket

Isn't Lam out of contract at Wigan at the end of this season?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Isn't Lam out of contract at Wigan at the end of this season?
    Yes, isn't Woolf out of contract at Saints?

Yes as Rommel pointed out yesterday.

Thanks for turning up though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    You trying to tell us something Brian?

I think Woolf and Saints have an option for a 3rd year but, that aside, yes he's OOC at the end of 2021.

Where do you think Powell will end up?

Yes, the debut season winning Superleague GF coach is out of contract at the end of the season, and so is the crying coach that nobody wanted beyond a year that Wigan seem to be stuck with because Messiah decided his word was not his bond, and he didn’t want to return to the sewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I'd be surprised if Coote could get an NRL contract for 2022, especially at Gold Coast who have one of the best full backs in the competition at the moment in AJ Brimson.

Regards,

STEVO

Note I said “Do a job” not “take the fullback role from one of the best full backs in the competition at the moment in AJ Brimson“

Everyone is fired

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Note I said “Do a job” not “take the fullback role from one of the best full backs in the competition at the moment in AJ Brimson“
    Nobody should even acknowledge that sad ••••.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post

I'm sure Saints and Coote have had some preliminary talks already and it's a big decision for the club because isn't Fages off contact at the end of this season too? Will James Roby want to do another year as well? 2021 is the third year of the Coote, Lomax, Fages & Roby combination and will that be enough? It will be interesting to see how much game time Welsby, Dodd and Smith get this year to stake a claim for starting spots this season and for 2022.

On Powell, I think he's a good British coach and I hope he stays in the sport. I think he would be a good option for Warrington.

Regards,

STEVO
    If you think Coote isn't capable of playing in the NRL for a season or two then you need to have a word with yourself. Be little more than a doddle. He's quite good you know