Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keiron Cunningham - How is he?

Learning All The Songs

If KC came onto the pitch with other former players i think he’d get a good reception. But i do know quite a few people who still haven’t forgive him and others who even packed in going to Saints games until he got sacked. He was without doubt one of the best players ive seen put on a Saints shirt, but not the very best player ive seen play for us. As long as he doesn’t get involved with the coaching side of things at the club he should always be welcomed back.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Yeah this sums up my thoughts as well. I know this thread has/will turn into an evaluation of his coaching career but to answer the OP, I’m glad to know he’s doing OK outside of rugby. He was the finest player I’ve seen at Saints, was a pleasure to watch him every week. What he did or didn’t do as a coach is totally separate for me.
    I'm always struck by how Alex Murphy is treated by Saints fans and it's odd when you compare it to Cunningham.

I believe he was a great player but was clearly a trouble maker that the club decided was expendable.

During his time as coach he was constantly leaking stories to the press, several of which were embarrassing. On his sacking he was very vociferous calling everyone at the club. At Warrington he did everything he could to stop Iestyn Harris joining Saints despite us letting him sign Lee Briers a month previous.

Several times I've heard him shouting for Saints opposition at games yet he's a legend of the club who can do no wrong.

Whatever failings KC had as a coach he did what he thought was right. I was a huge critic of him while in charge but He left with dignity, has conducted himself respectfully despite probably feeling different has never spoken out - very much unlike the other gobshite, yet people feel strongly enough to forget what he did for Saints as a player

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I'm always struck by how Alex Murphy is treated by Saints fans and it's odd when you compare it to Cunningham.

I believe he was a great player but was clearly a trouble maker that the club decided was expendable.

During his time as coach he was constantly leaking stories to the press, several of which were embarrassing. On his sacking he was very vociferous calling everyone at the club. At Warrington he did everything he could to stop Iestyn Harris joining Saints despite us letting him sign Lee Briers a month previous.

Several times I've heard him shouting for Saints opposition at games yet he's a legend of the club who can do no wrong.

Whatever failings KC had as a coach he did what he thought was right. I was a huge critic of him while in charge but He left with dignity, has conducted himself respectfully despite probably feeling different has never spoken out - very much unlike the other gobshite, yet people feel strongly enough to forget what he did for Saints as a player

Interesting point about Murphy that. I know he was a top, top player if not the best ever but interviewing Briers before a challenge cup final, whilst wearing a Warrington polo shirt really got my back up.

I've not got a lot of time for him to be honest

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

Add to that Murphy never put a boot on for Saints once his testimonial was finished. Mercenary, but seems to be forgiven as he played the media game better than KC.

Banned

Can't stand that poison dwarf Murphy myself, he reminds me of Gary Schoefield, rent a gob.

Murphy was much worse than Keiron as a coach. His nadir was the 28-0 CC final and events leading up to it - constantly shouting his mouth off about how we were going to win I always thought must have been worth 10 points to the opposition. Then he had the audacity to put most of the team on the transfer list after the final.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I’d give him a great reception personally but I’m sure others wouldn’t and for that reason I don’t think the club or Cunningham himself would ever risk it.

That’s an interesting point. Like you said nobody really defended him at the time and you wonder if the arrogance he showed towards us at times was also the way he acted towards colleagues and teammates. If so then it would be no shock to hear he wasn’t that popular.
    Not long after he was sacked I bumped in to a Saints player I know well.enoujgh to say he hello to he asked how I was great I said now Cunninham as been sacked he just laufghed

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Murphy was much worse than Keiron as a coach. His nadir was the 28-0 CC final and events leading up to it - constantly shouting his mouth off about how we were going to win I always thought must have been worth 10 points to the opposition. Then he had the audacity to put most of the team on the transfer list after the final.
    Not that it alters that awful day but it finished up 27-0.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    Not that it alters that awful day but it finished up 27-0.
    Even now, whenever I see or hear the number 27 I get cold shivers!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don’t mind that really. I read a similar thing about Roy Keane recently. I believe he was one of the anxious types before games, didn’t he throw up in the changing rooms before games every week? I’d rather players waved after the game with a winners medal round their neck.
    I think there is a difference between being nervous or focussed before a game, and being too arrogant to acknowledge fans, most of whom have travelled a distance and paid a fair amount of money to watch them. I was a bag of nerves no matter what level I played. I always tried to catch the kick off and run it in as hard as I could to get that first hit out of the way, to get rid of the nerves. But, KC just comes across as thinking he is the messiah. The time I was referring to at wembley he was on something like a play station which was more important to him than the people that were virtually paying homage to the team. He stood out singularly as the only team member that did not acknowledge the fans. I know you will probably disagree as you are obviously a great KC fan, and though I do not particularly like him personally I do acknowledge his contribution as a player.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think there is a difference between being nervous or focussed before a game, and being too arrogant to acknowledge fans, most of whom have travelled a distance and paid a fair amount of money to watch them. I was a bag of nerves no matter what level I played. I always tried to catch the kick off and run it in as hard as I could to get that first hit out of the way, to get rid of the nerves. But, KC just comes across as thinking he is the messiah. The time I was referring to at wembley he was on something like a play station which was more important to him than the people that were virtually paying homage to the team. He stood out singularly as the only team member that did not acknowledge the fans. I know you will probably disagree as you are obviously a great KC fan, and though I do not particularly like him personally I do acknowledge his contribution as a player.
    All good. I was a great fan of him as a player, I don’t know or have never met him personally.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

All good. I was a great fan of him as a player, I don’t know or have never met him personally.
    I know you are a great fan and for the record, I would never disparage his contribution on the field.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

On the couple of occasions I met him he came across as a nice guy. Certainly not arrogant

Learning All The Songs

Whatever happened to the fireman/nutritionist/witch doctor that gave Cunningham the special juice ?.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Whatever happened to the fireman/nutritionist/witch doctor that gave Cunningham the special juice ?.
    Oh yeah, I remember that? About 2002?

Not sure. What an episode that was

Banned

He is now a six fingered banjo player residing in Warrington with a very shy reserved family.

I think he just faded away. He wasn't even qualified. Though I'm usually all for banning drug cheats, the way that saga panned out I would have been Peed off if KC had been banned.