Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Bill Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    But you have to take that deal at his age?
    You've got me. Can't turn it down. Just hope we stick him on his arris when/if he plays against us

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    .... and a mercenary.
    You are aware of why Rugby league exists as a separate code aren't you?

In The South Stand

Imagine if we’d have signed him in ‘05. That ‘06 team was fantastic, imagine adding him in to that.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    You are aware of why Rugby league exists as a separate code aren't you?
    Due to players in the north not being compensated/paid for time taken away from work to participate in matches?

I have no time for Sonny Bill. No time for him at all. Chasing big bucks with no loyalty to anyone or any club. Goes wherever the next big pay cheque is coming from.

Has he really been that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Imagine if we’d have signed him in ‘05. That ‘06 team was fantastic, imagine adding him in to that.
    Hooper would have kept him on the bench

In The South Stand

Due to players in the north not being compensated/paid for time taken away from work to participate in matches?

I have no time for Sonny Bill. No time for him at all. Chasing big bucks with no loyalty to anyone or any club. Goes wherever the next big pay cheque is coming from.

Why shouldn't he go for the money? It's a short career that can end abruptly at any time. If he can make enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life then fair play to him

He’s a world star who can command those big pay cheques. That’s largely how sport and the world in general works. I never understand this loyalty argument. Most sports people aren’t playing for their home towns so why should they feel pinned down to team x, y or z?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    He’s a world star who can command those big pay cheques. That’s largely how sport and the world in general works. I never understand this loyalty argument. Most sports people aren’t playing for their home towns so why should they feel pinned down to team x, y or z?
    Yeah fair enough.

Just not a fan. In my eyes, overrated

Noooobie

If SBW signs I think the biggest benefit will be the clubs playing home games against toronto.
    There will be people that want to go watch this household name. It also gives the team a genuine top tier athlete to market in Toronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Stlouis View Post
    If SBW signs I think the biggest benefit will be the clubs playing home games against toronto.
    There will be people that want to go watch this household name. It also gives the team a genuine top tier athlete to market in Toronto!
    People will tune in on tv to watch him, too. That’s important as the deal comes up for renegotiation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Don't rule it out. It's unlikely to happen too quickly, but if successful Toronto, New York and Valencia sides were all in the top flight in 5 years, the money involved would be vastly different to the pitiful Sky deal we have now. It is foolish and arrogant to think a club like ours in a town like ours wouldn't struggle to keep pace with cities like Toronto and New York. I'm not envisaging the big UK clubs being outside the top division in the next decade, but it's possible those big-city clubs could be more successful and infinitely more powerful financially.
    Rugby League can't even establish itself in Nottingham never mind New York. Talk of trans-international ventures are just total pie in the sky; you are'nt in the right mind if you think RL can do what say the NFL can't. Even if there was a modicum of longer term stability/success, the logistics just don't add up and the synergy of a sport like rugby league suddenly becoming some sort of global game is laughable given its track record and current state. People are still so gullible, it really does amaze me.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stlouis View Post
    For sure.

New Zealand played Samoa a good few years ago at Warrington, I think it was the World Cup.
    I went and one of the main reasons was to watch Sonny Bill, not everyday you get the chance to watch such phenomenal athletes. It turned out to be one of the very the best matches of rugby I’ve ever watched.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    People will tune in on tv to watch him, too. That’s important as the deal comes up for renegotiation.
    If I asked blokes in the pub who Sonny Bill Williams was I doubt many would know unless there were a couple of Kiwi's or some Rugby Supporters. The only thing that interests people it seems is watching the red shite.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Default NZ v Samoa game with SBW

Same thoughts here (Samoa v NZ game @warrington). Even in the third place payoff in the RWC against Wales on Friday, Sonny laid off some great passes with one hand which some folks can only dream of doing.
    Last edited by antwnsaint; 4th November 2019 at 11:59. Reason: accuracy

Got A Season Ticket

The media here in Toronto is all over SBW and the possible signing. Most of the Toronto newspapers have carried an article about him. Here is one of them: https://www.thestar.com/sports/2019/...s-package.html

They see him as a David Beckham type of signing when Beckham signed for the MLS. Given his display on Friday I think most super league sides would like to have in their 13.

NRL sites confirming he has signed a two year deal at Toronto for 10 million..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Whilst SBW is 31, this is a huge statement of intent from Toronto and arguably one of if not the biggest signing the British game has ever seen. He is a worldwide star in both codes.

The money being talked about is crazy, but also shows the power Toronto has with their wealthy owner. It puts them in a very strong position when negotiating signings from the NRL going forward.

If SL don't capitalise on this signing in their adverts etc then they have missed a big opportunity. Some strong players coming to SL next year with the likes of Burgess, Maloney, Widdop, SBW and Fonua.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Whilst SBW is 31, this is a huge statement of intent from Toronto and arguably one of if not the biggest signing the British game has ever seen. He is a worldwide star in both codes.

The money being talked about is crazy, but also shows the power Toronto has with their wealthy owner. It puts them in a very strong position when negotiating signings from the NRL going forward.

If SL don't capitalise on this signing in their adverts etc then they have missed a big opportunity. Some strong players coming to SL next year with the likes of Burgess, Maloney, Widdop, SBW and Fonua.
    He's 34.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Rugby League can't even establish itself in Nottingham never mind New York. Talk of trans-international ventures are just total pie in the sky; you are'nt in the right mind if you think RL can do what say the NFL can't. Even if there was a modicum of longer term stability/success, the logistics just don't add up and the synergy of a sport like rugby league suddenly becoming some sort of global game is laughable given its track record and current state. People are still so gullible, it really does amaze me.
    Perhaps we can't. I didn't say it was guaranteed. Other sports will no doubt make a success of it. A global league is only a matter of time in Union, NFL as you mention and probably football as well.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    NRL sites confirming he has signed a two year deal at Toronto for 10 million..
    The top news story in Toronto by all accounts...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    He's 34.
    Same age as me, he's at his peak then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

He is a great signing for them but not sure how he will perform as they need more than this signing to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by geordie_saint View Post
    The top news story in Toronto by all accounts...
    Great publicity. Apparently being reported in Toronto that the Aussies have asked for a game against them on the 2020 tour and talk of it being played in a 36000 seat stadium. The impact of a big name signing

Looking forward to seeing SBW next season, thought we had him a while since but EM said it was not on? If he offers his boots I'm in for the Grandson . Great player, hope he stays fit for us all to see.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Great publicity. Apparently being reported in Toronto that the Aussies have asked for a game against them on the 2020 tour and talk of it being played in a 36000 seat stadium. The impact of a big name signing
    Not sure about this- I have viewed 3 Toronto newspapers on line-and none mentioned it. A 4th had an article way down in the sports pages. Here in NZ they have been running a story on SBW and him being an unknown to Canadian audiences and wondering if his brand will catch on ( David Beckham was known world wide and was even front page stories in countries that dont follow football)