Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: GB Lions 2020 Tour

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Thing that gets me is he says the team have gone backwards but doesnt seem to think he is in any way responsible. If the players themselves have gone off the boil why did he select them? It's down to him surely.
    He can't really see what's in front of him, for me the players that have gone backwards are the likes of Burgess, Hodgson, Widdop, Hall whilst Whitehead and Graham have also struggled (all the NRL players).. He selected a team with minimum creativity and balance, Bennett has no passion for the British game and treats it with total contempt.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He can't really see what's in front of him, for me the players that have gone backwards are the likes of Burgess, Hodgson, Widdop, Hall whilst Whitehead and Graham have also struggled (all the NRL players).. He selected a team with minimum creativity and balance, Bennett has no passion for the British game and treats it with total contempt.
    You would hope that Sinfield and Co. Have already started looking at recruiting a new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Absolutely none whatsoever, same as his role at Leeds and look how that's gone so far. Not like he had a hugely successful international career either
    Agree with you and everyone else on this.

I will say in Sinfield's defence that he did get shoehorned into other positions when he played at international level. I remember him playing at 9 & 7 so that won't have helped.

But in terms of the job he's got, jobs for the boys springs to mind. I don't care about his achievements as a player, until you have had a distinguished coaching career, including a decent amount of time as national coach, you aren't qualified to do that job. It's typical of the idiocy that blights the running of the sport in this country

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You would hope that Sinfield and Co. Have already started looking at recruiting a new coach.
    I wouldn't bet on it

Learning All The Songs

It was only on Love Rugby League, but they were saying Danny Ward and Ian Watson were candidates to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    It was only on Love Rugby League, but they were saying Danny Ward and Ian Watson were candidates to take over.
    Wouldn't mind Watson getting a go. He has come up through the ranks and did well last year. I think it's a sad indictment of where we are now, that whoever we go for people will be saying, he can't be any worse than what we have now.

Banned

Wouldn't mind Watson getting a go. He has come up through the ranks and did well last year. I think it's a sad indictment of where we are now, that whoever we go for people will be saying, he can't be any worse than what we have now.
    I'd prefer Wane. I'm not knocking Watson, he's done well at Salford but he has more to prove this year. I don't think Danny Ward is the answer either.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

As a replacement are we thinking of a full time position? Woolf was assistant coach at club level and Tonga national coach.

As there's no mid-season international that im aware of, does it need a full time position for what is essentially a months worth of games at the end of the season.

I'm not sure about the suggestion of Wane to be honest, yes he's bring a passion to the squad, but the style of play Wigan had wasn't great (it brough trophies though).

Having Watson and Ward involved this season will put them in a decent place if the role became available. Isn't Paul Anderson still involved in te Knights set up? I wonder if the likes of Chris Chester might be worth a punt?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    As a replacement are we thinking of a full time position? Woolf was assistant coach at club level and Tonga national coach.

As there's no mid-season international that im aware of, does it need a full time position for what is essentially a months worth of games at the end of the season.

I'm not sure about the suggestion of Wane to be honest, yes he's bring a passion to the squad, but the style of play Wigan had wasn't great (it brough trophies though).

Having Watson and Ward involved this season will put them in a decent place if the role became available. Isn't Paul Anderson still involved in te Knights set up? I wonder if the likes of Chris Chester might be worth a punt?
    Chester is not a bad shout at all.

My thinking is a proven winner though. Say what you want about Wane, (I don't like the guy myself) but his record speaks for itself.

To me, it's the next step .His players ran through walls for him. He won't have us lying down against the Aussies. We will stick it to them and upset them. That's how you give yourself a chance.

Looking at the Chookpen forum last night, when on about the WCC, a poster described our competition as 'second rate.' They are so arrogant & I'd love nothing better than to shut them up. I wouldn't bet against Wane feeling similar

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I would go for Wane mainly for his motivation mental skills with Watson having a bigger say in the playing style and tactics. We also need a proven tough competitive individual who knows what's needed to beat the Aussies and for me I would bring back Paul Sculthorpe and get rid of Kevin Sinfield altogether or maybe side track him to do other RFL duties.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

The reality is that representative rugby over here at all levels is a couple of games at the end of the season when everyone is knackered so for me blokes like Watson and Chester etc are on the back foot straight away, they don’t have the time of the opportunity to ‘build’ something like they do at Salford, Wakefield or those clubs who are struggling a bit in terms of resources. They’ve got players from all different clubs, all playing different ways so a lot of their strengths as coaches won’t really count at this level. There’s an Aussie tour next year and a World Cup the year after so that just adds to it. We need results really with next to no time to prepare.

For me, Wane is ideal. He’s a winner through and through, he’s got a brilliant pack of forwards to work with and we’ve probably got enough resources in the halves as well to compete now. I think the timing is right for him, two years to go before a WC.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Chester is not a bad shout at all.

My thinking is a proven winner though. Say what you want about Wane, (I don't like the guy myself) but his record speaks for itself.

To me, it's the next step .His players ran through walls for him. He won't have us lying down against the Aussies. We will stick it to them and upset them. That's how you give yourself a chance.

Looking at the Chookpen forum last night, when on about the WCC, a poster described our competition as 'second rate.' They are so arrogant & I'd love nothing better than to shut them up. I wouldn't bet against Wane feeling similar
    They say Super League is second rate, well there's an argument for that as they have plenty of money and some great players. We also have some rubbish and some free loading teams that bring nothing to the table. However, there's quite a few mitigating factors:

RL is huge in Australia, it's not here.
    We may have some rubbish but not every teams plays the same way like a bunch of mutant robots.
    They also have plenty of shit players.
    Fans: Every NRL game is see sounds more like a wake than a match, they can only dream of games like the Us V W****, The hull derby, Cas V Leeds or Wakey. Yes, they might not all be played in fancy stadiums but I know where I'd rather be. Although they have plenty of stadiums that are little more than glorified athletics tracks.
    Ok, we're ran by a group of useless self serving morons but we don't have their "morality unit" or whatever it's called acting all holier than thou.
    We run 2 competitions, they don't. SOO is not a competition and has gone downhill in any case.

So, yes, we have our issues (I think we all agree were a lot of them lie) but so do they and everyone outside the NRL bubble see's it.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    They say Super League is second rate, well there's an argument for that as they have plenty of money and some great players. We also have some rubbish and some free loading teams that bring nothing to the table. However, there's quite a few mitigating factors:

We may have some rubbish but not every teams plays the same way like a bunch of mutant robots.
    Fans: Every NRL game is see sounds more like a wake than a match, they can only dream of games like the Us V W****, The hull derby, Cas V Leeds or Wakey. Yes, they might not all be played in fancy stadiums but I know where I'd rather be. Although they have plenty of stadiums that are little more than glorified athletics tracks.
    Ok, we're ran by a group of useless self serving morons but we don't have their "morality unit" or whatever it's called acting all holier than thou.
    We run 2 competitions, they don't. SOO is not a competition and has gone downhill in any case.

So, yes, we have our issues (I think we all agree were a lot of them lie) but so do they and everyone outside the NRL bubble see's it.
    Great post this. I'm not the first to say it but we should embrace our differences, not try to replicate everything they do, including picking Australian players and any Brit who happens to play in the NRL. This is why I think its important to have a British coach. I think Wane fits the bill perfectly, he could get the best out of what we have and get them playing for pride in the British shirt again.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

With this gem from Sinfield it's hard to have confidence: “Ash was brought out here because we deemed he was the best man for the job to give us cover on the wing spots. The difficultly for Ash is that it’s a long way to come and not play, of course, I understand that.

“However, there are a number of others who have been here for four weeks and haven’t played. Do we give a jersey away because someone has flown for 24 hours to get here, or do we give a jersey to someone who is the right man for the job? There were question marks over Zak Hardaker’s fitness but in truth, if you analyse Blake Austin’s performance like the staff did.. I thought he did a good job out on the wing.”

Source article: https://www.totalrl.com/sinfield-exp...him-for-lions/

Great post mate

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    With this gem from Sinfield it's hard to have confidence: “Ash was brought out here because we deemed he was the best man for the job to give us cover on the wing spots. The difficultly for Ash is that it’s a long way to come and not play, of course, I understand that.

“However, there are a number of others who have been here for four weeks and haven’t played. Do we give a jersey away because someone has flown for 24 hours to get here, or do we give a jersey to someone who is the right man for the job? There were question marks over Zak Hardaker’s fitness but in truth, if you analyse Blake Austin’s performance like the staff did.. I thought he did a good job out on the wing.”

Too thick skulled to admit that they got the squad selection drastically wrong, 2 wingers, 1 recognised centre, no recognised loose forward, basically a plethora of props and halfbacks. They cant pick Handley despite flying him halfway across the globe as it would be an admission that they got it wrong.

What is needed now is a clear out of Bennett, Sinfield and the older guard of players, Graham, Hill, Widdop, Hodgson, Hall and McGilvary should have all played their last game for England/GB by the end of this tour, i have no issue with them as players but they are all over the hill and we need fresh blood.
    Last edited by Tomsepho; 14th November 2019 at 14:14.

Got A Season Ticket

Well said mate

On Bennett i think Sinfield is actually trying to get him to re-sign and stay as coach

Talking in Riddles. Another Bennett in the making.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    Well said mate

On Bennett i think Sinfield is actually trying to get him to re-sign and stay as coach
    That wouldn't surprise me as he's a self serving little kiss arse and his record after finishing playing speaks for itself.

Banned

Talking in Riddles. Another Bennett in the making.
    Like Rafa Benitez towards the end with the victims.

In The South Stand

As usual mate, saying it how it is. Spot on.

In The South Stand

Personally, I'd take Watson Ward or Wane over Bennett. They're passionate and believe in British RL and they're still open to new ideas, they're still learning. I don't think Bennett is any of those things, his day is gone. Onwards and upwards!

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Apart from flap at a kick what else did Blake Austin do stuck out on the wing? I don't recall any pressure relieving runs or clean breaks from him...or are we just looking at his defensive stats?

I actually thought Sinfield was refering to Hanley as both the player that travelled for 24 hours and the right man for the job, as in he isn't just being selected as he's travelled but because he's the right man for the job. Re-reading it though, he probably didn't.

I'm still struggling to understand Coote's omission. If he was selected to tour surely use him, he's not a young player like Trueman that will benefit from the culture and the tour environment he's a seasoned player. I just hope that his inclusion doesn't come back to bite us, as he arrived from Australia more or less as soon as their season finished so he could settle into the country/town, played all season, then went on GB tour. Similar to Austin, but I'm not really interested if he's not right for the start of the season.

In The South Stand

Why can no one in the GB management just hold their hands up and admit it's been a huge blunder. Defending it is just making a bad situation worse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Apart from flap at a kick what else did Blake Austin do stuck out on the wing? I don't recall any pressure relieving runs or clean breaks from him...or are we just looking at his defensive stats?

I actually thought Sinfield was refering to Hanley as both the player that travelled for 24 hours and the right man for the job, as in he isn't just being selected as he's travelled but because he's the right man for the job. Re-reading it though, he probably didn't.

I'm still struggling to understand Coote's omission. If he was selected to tour surely use him, he's not a young player like Trueman that will benefit from the culture and the tour environment he's a seasoned player. I just hope that his inclusion doesn't come back to bite us, as he arrived from Australia more or less as soon as their season finished so he could settle into the country/town, played all season, then went on GB tour. Similar to Austin, but I'm not really interested if he's not right for the start of the season.
    Austin ran the ball ok but nothing apart from that, not that you would expect much more.

Handley has had the best part of a week to adjust and I'm sure he wasn't in cattle class which makes getting some sleep much easier, it's no excuse for me and I've done the trip and been in work the next day, you go the extra yard. It's a disgrace he's been dragged all that way and isn't playing.

Again, Coote can feel very hard done to although I've made my feelings clear on our players playing for that idiot. My hope is that he enjoys his Christmas at home and comes back to us ready to go again for next season. He strikes me as someone who's naturally quite fit and seems quite durable so fingers crossed, plus, if he needs a break or 2 mid season we've got Welsby with another pre season behind him.

The whole thing has been a mis-managed farce and I feel sorry for every single player on that tour, I'm not sure if I'd have stuck it out personally.