Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: GB Lions 2020 Tour

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    If people want to be picked they usually back the coach (in public at least) so they’re bound to say they love him....

I think he plays too many players out of position, lacks any kind of variation/plan B and clearly doesn’t watch/care about Superleague or the teams/systems......

I wonder if Widdop will get a look in once he’s in SL??
    I'm hoping he'll be our best signing for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I understand that point of view,but the Aussies and Kiwis have been doing it for years.
    We don't need to follow them though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I fail to see how you can have an international coach who does not watch the majority of players he picks, there are only a few GB/England players in the NRL, most play in Super League, for me either the coach has to be a Super League coach or its a full time position where the coach watches a couple of games a week and goes over to watch the NRL for a couple of weeks a season. Bennett has no idea the strengths or weaknesses of Super League players because he never sees them play, i hate to say it but i would rather have fat head Wane do the job.
    Same here, I've no issue's with Wane, he might be a Wigan ••••••• but he know's how to win, he's happy to give young players a chance and wouldn't have his team being bullied by anyone. He's actually not the brain dead muppet we all like to think of him as either. And he's British.

Not for one minute am I saying he'd win us a series against the Aussie's, I don't think he would but I don't think I'd be embarrassed by him, his selections or his tactics given the better quality of players he would have. No doubt that sour faced dinosaur will still be in charge though.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Ha
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Same here, I've no issue's with Wane, he might be a Wigan ••••••• but he know's how to win, he's happy to give young players a chance and wouldn't have his team being bullied by anyone. He's actually not the brain dead muppet we all like to think of him as either. And he's British.

Not for one minute am I saying he'd win us a series against the Aussie's, I don't think he would but I don't think I'd be embarrassed by him, his selections or his tactics given the better quality of players he would have. No doubt that sour faced dinosaur will still be in charge though.
    Wane would have them fired up.

At least we would see a bit of fisty cuffs & he'd upset them a bit.

And I'm sorry but an Aussie coach & Aussie players in the team? No chance. Coote & Hastings are quality players but they are Australian. Bennett is Australian.

Honestly I'd be tempted to only pick SL players who are born in GB or Ireland & have a British coach. We need to get that rivalry back that was there in the in the past. It's diluted

Banned

Bennett is finished and he has been for a while.

Get Wane or Watson in. At least they’ll watch the super league players every week and might stop putting square pegs in round holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

I fail to see how you can have an international coach who does not watch the majority of players he picks, there are only a few GB/England players in the NRL, most play in Super League, for me either the coach has to be a Super League coach or its a full time position where the coach watches a couple of games a week and goes over to watch the NRL for a couple of weeks a season. Bennett has no idea the strengths or weaknesses of Super League players because he never sees them play, i hate to say it but i would rather have fat head Wane do the job.
    He must get input from his British based assistant's otherwise Josh Jones would be nowhere near the team.

Got A Season Ticket

Very astute comment about Jones he isn't an international
    Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    He must get input from his British based assistant's otherwise Josh Jones would be nowhere near the team.
    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

And I'm sorry but an Aussie coach & Aussie players in the team? No chance. Coote & Hastings are quality players but they are Australian. Bennett is Australian.

Honestly I'd be tempted to only pick SL players who are born in GB or Ireland & have a British coach. We need to get that rivalry back that was there in the in the past. It's diluted
    100% mate, I can go with that, it's one of the few things the convicts have right. Don't play at home, don't play international. Not a chance our spineless lot would enforce that though, they can't even enforce the rules properly. I'd love us to create a division between us and the NRL.

Banned

I would have Wane but with the caveat NO MEDIA interviews. Watson as his no2 could do those. Bennett is awful just a pay day. At least the other Aussie years ago cared.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    There must be better wingers than These two, surely.
    I thought Macgilvary had a decent game.

Banned

I've no problem qualifying players who were born overseas playing for us.

All other major sports in Britain - football, cricket, rah-rah - do this, and nobody blinks an eye. In the rah-rah game today, the starting team had 3 players only qualifying through (lax) residency rules, and the bench two who qualify through parent/grandparent. And if they win the final, will be feted as national heroes.

Aus & NZ RL teams both use players not born in Aus.

If we stick to only British/English born & bred players, then we hamstring ourselves. But then, I suspect some RL fans would only be happy if players come from the old Lancashire & Yaaarksher boundaries, speak like they come from the 19th century, and have a fondness for wearing flat caps.

Banned

To add, I think Bennett is garbage and his team plays bloody awful rugby. I'd not have problem with the shaven ape as England/GB coach.

It would suit Wane down to the ground I think. He would still have plenty time for his family, dogs etc but would be back in a league environment. He also endorses boring rugby however...

I do agree that the English based players are at a disadvantage. Ok, Watson etc can have their say but ultimately Bennett picks the team

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I get that, but thats one of how many he could have picked? Hes picked 1 centre in the squad, that says more than enough for me he should not be in charge, hes trying to fit players in to positions they dont play.

Learning All The Songs

AD perfectly put, i cant agree more with what you have said, tbh i dont care who is in charge but they have to at least watch the games the vast majority of the squad tend to play in, there is no way Bennett can watch games in this country, his NRL club position wont allow it. Look at other uk national sides, their head coaches watch the club games in this country, they are closer to the pulse of the game than Bennett is.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If we stick to only British/English born & bred players, then we hamstring ourselves. But then, I suspect some RL fans would only be happy if players come from the old Lancashire & Yaaarksher boundaries, speak like they come from the 19th century, and have a fondness for wearing flat caps.
    I think this type of discussion has polarised but misses the point.

It's a global world with much more travel and mixed heritage.

Personally I could call on both Canadian and Irish decent.

The closest I have come to Canada is having a pint of Labbats.
    The Irish lineage is very different and very personal.

If the only game on offer this autumn was England Knight V Jamacia would
    either Austin or Hastings been chomping at the bit to play "rep footy".

It is not always black and white. Heritage is a reality and cannot be ignored.
    but is shouldn't be abused either.

Learning All The Songs

Hasting i agree, him and Austin should be nowhere near the squad, at least in Cootes case he has played consistently for Scotland over the last couple of years so i dont see the problem with him getting picked unlike the other 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    It would suit Wane down to the ground I think. He would still have plenty time for his family, dogs etc but would be back in a league environment. He also endorses boring rugby however...

I do agree that the English based players are at a disadvantage. Ok, Watson etc can have their say but ultimately Bennett picks the team
    Wane would get my vote.

In an international stage with access to any player eligible, he may (or may not) revert to form, playing the grind.

If he did and it brought success, on an international level, would we complain or say “it’s percentage Rugby”?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Hasting i agree, him and Austin should be nowhere near the squad, at least in Cootes case he has played consistently for Scotland over the last couple of years so i dont see the problem with him getting picked unlike the other 2.
    Point taken mate. Coote wasn't a great example. Apologies

Learning All The Songs

Point taken mate. Coote wasn't a great example. Apologies
    No worries, best case scenario we have an entire squad born, raised and playing in the UK, dont mind if that doesn’t happen, but if they are going to play for the Lions at least they must have played for a home nations side before they are selected.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Wane would get my vote.

In an international stage with access to any player eligible, he may (or may not) revert to form, playing the grind.

If he did and it brought success, on an international level, would we complain or say “it’s percentage Rugby”?
    Interesting point that.

Australia found it most difficult against GB when the off the cuff stuff was played. However, the game has changed now, defences are strong & most players at international level are tanks. So it could be that you have to win the physical battle to have a chance. If you get me?

What is doing my head in, is how adamant Bennett is that this squad is good enough & playing players out of position.

We are now a prop light, & are desperately short in the three quarters. Hardaker at centre doesn't work either. He isn't that good of a fullback anymore, never mind a centre

Learning All The Songs

No worries, best case scenario we have an entire squad born, raised and playing in the UK, dont mind if that doesn’t happen, but if they are going to play for the Lions at least they must have played for a home nations side before they are selected.
    That's a good call about already have represented a home nation but I also feel the same about Austin & Hastings as I did when Rangi Chase got picked a few years back. Something doesn't feel right about the speed or lack of urgency with these picks. When you throw into the mix that all three play as pivots the chopping & changing won't help the team at all because they will need time to gel.

Learning All The Songs

Ok I’ve only ever really seen Widdop playing for England but like Hodgeson, there is nothing that says he will be outstanding.

Learning All The Songs

Ok I’ve only ever really seen Widdop playing for England but like Hodgeson, there is nothing that says he will be outstanding.
    Get Walmsley and Thompson to run at him all game, make him tackle, his shoulder will go again, would be the 4/5th time in 2 years

Learning All The Songs

Last edited by Tomsepho; 26th October 2019 at 22:00. Reason: Posted twice in error