Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3131920212223

Thread: GB Lions 2020 Tour

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Save me a fair bit on the run up to Xmas next year then because if Bennett is in charge, I certainly won't be bothering
    Same here,won't be spending anything to go and watch a team with him in charge. I know quite a few people who support other teams who feel the same.

No international fixture should be considered a warm up or preparation for any other international fixture, IMO (unless you're talking about an England Knights team or a WC group game against a minnows nation). The idea that three or four games one autumn will somehow prepare you for three or four games twelve months later just seems daft to me.

So much happens in a year of RL. You've got no idea who will have retired, who will be injured, whose form will have nose-dived or whose will have taken off. This mentality of long-term performance planning, if anything, just leads to the selection of players who haven't justified their selection, all in the name of 'continuity'.

As far as I'm concerned, the mentality behind the England or GB setups should be quite simple: when the series is approaching you pick a balanced squad out of the best performing players available. You then pick the team that is best equipped to win its next test match, give them a simple game-plan and send them out knowing that victory in that test match is more important than anything else. Screw next year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    No international fixture should be considered a warm up or preparation for any other international fixture, IMO (unless you're talking about an England Knights team or a WC group game against a minnows nation). The idea that three or four games one autumn will somehow prepare you for three or four games twelve months later just seems daft to me.

So much happens in a year of RL. You've got no idea who will have retired, who will be injured, whose form will have nose-dived or whose will have taken off. This mentality of long-term performance planning, if anything, just leads to the selection of players who haven't justified their selection, all in the name of 'continuity'.

As far as I'm concerned, the mentality behind the England or GB setups should be quite simple: when the series is approaching you pick a balanced squad out of the best performing players available. You then pick the team that is best equipped to win its next test match, give them a simple game-plan and send them out knowing that victory in that test match is more important than anything else. Screw next year.
    It's mot even 12 months, it's 24 (well, 23)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

The whole tournament has been a holiday team bonding throw away exercise. I reckon we will be much better next year, not that im defending Bennett mind you. I will have a look at the squad next year before i bother tuning in. I fear their will be too much loyalty to NRL players regardless of ability (Hodgson), too many players living off reputation (Hall, McGilvray), and Aussies. I don’t like us picking the likes of Coote, Austin etc. Maybe im xenophobic, i just think its stupid.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    The whole tournament has been a holiday team bonding throw away exercise. I reckon we will be much better next year, not that im defending Bennett mind you. I will have a look at the squad next year before i bother tuning in. I fear their will be too much loyalty to NRL players regardless of ability (Hodgson), too many players living off reputation (Hall, McGilvray), and Aussies. I don’t like us picking the likes of Coote, Austin etc. Maybe im xenophobic, i just think its stupid.
    I'm not sure about the team bonding, half the squad would have been unhappy with his selections, some will be too old next time round.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm not sure about the team bonding, half the squad would have been unhappy with his selections, some will be too old next time round.
    Yeh thats quite likely. Some players will be ••••ed off at Bennetts throw away attitude towards this tournament. Its been a very poor return for the lions.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Rimmer and Sinfield lets be frank are not dynamic and are barely professional. I doubt they read red vee but I would not be shocked if Saints do not keep an eye on threads. The major risk of keeping Bennett is supporter and media apathy for next years Aussie series.

I myself if nothing changes would swerve the tests excluding the one in London. The RFL are like St Helens Council they think we will just dutiful turn up and spend our cash. Beware the consequences of taking fans for granted. I feel this sport especially the RFL needs a clear out it is still too much in the mould of Nigel Wood and we all know what he brought to the table, a lot less than he left the table with.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Rimmer and Sinfield lets be frank are not dynamic and are barely professional. I doubt they read red vee but I would not be shocked if Saints do not keep an eye on threads. The major risk of keeping Bennett is supporter and media apathy for next years Aussie series.

I myself if nothing changes would swerve the tests excluding the one in London. The RFL are like St Helens Council they think we will just dutiful turn up and spend our cash. Beware the consequences of taking fans for granted. I feel this sport especially the RFL needs a clear out it is still too much in the mould of Nigel Wood and we all know what he brought to the table, a lot less than he left the table with.
    I don’t look at other forums but I’d be surprised to find that other fans aren’t expressing similar views.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post

That's some size of mould.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I just think everything is too half arsed really.

We’ve got a coach who lives in Australia and coaches an NRL team full time. Straight away he misses a hell of a lot on the field, off the field it’s harder for him to build relationships and communicate with players, it’s more difficult for him to build a relationship with the clubs. Warren Gatland didn’t coach Wales for a year purely so he could watch more games and get around the clubs/countries prior to the Lions tour.

They don’t play enough games, there might be a mid season test somewhere but it’s still not enough and we didn’t even have that this year. So you’ve got all these players playing for different clubs, playing under different tactics, different systems etc, how is it possible to bring everyone together without any games? It’s not.

Essentially, they threw a group of people together after a 9 month season and hoped for the best.

I always thought the exiles idea might have been worth preserving with, it wasn’t ideal but at least it meant they played a couple of games in England against a half decent team.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V