Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lomax on the Bench

Got A Replica Shirt

Default Lomax on the Bench

Johnny best half back in the league by a mile on the bench for GB - how ridiculous! Bennett out of touch with British game

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by kimmysaint View Post
    Johnny best half back in the league by a mile on the bench for GB - how ridiculous! Bennett out of touch with British game
    What is he going to do next year when Widdop isn't in the nrl. Given his preference for nrl players we could see Bateman in the halves. I'm not a fan of Bennett at all,his shoehorning of players into other positions is annoying.

In The South Stand

He was an appalling appointment. Clearly a good coach, but just doing this gig for the money. He obviously doesn't watch the game over here at all.

I think Hastings and Widdop over Lomax is fair enough though. Hastings was and is superb and Widdop brings the kicking game and control the combination with Lomax would lack.

His choice of wingers is the more shocking. Hall is in a similar state to my physically, in fact I reckon I'd have him in mobility tests. Just so slow and lumbering. But he's been picked because he knows him and figures he's less risk. McGilvray's recent interview was funny. He said Wayne Bennett had told him he'd heard he'd been awful all year and he agreed with him. He then said something along the lines of "I'm at the end of my career, so getting to play for Great Britain is a great oppportunity". Surely there is a winger who would be a better choice than him. Grace/Lineham/Charnley aren't perfect but better than the two selected. There must be younger British wingers who would be worth a go?

Banned

Look, I know this probably won't go down well but we shouldn't worry about Lomax being on the bench. Leave Widdop the wire to get smacked about. In the grand scheme of things it's a meaningless game, I'd rather all our lads were at home setting their alarms with the rest of us and leave that stubborn old fool to it. He's doing himself no favours in my eyes and will hopefully get found out and sacked after this winter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    He was an appalling appointment. Clearly a good coach, but just doing this gig for the money. He obviously doesn't watch the game over here at all.

I think Hastings and Widdop over Lomax is fair enough though. Hastings was and is superb and Widdop brings the kicking game and control the combination with Lomax would lack.

His choice of wingers is the more shocking. Hall is in a similar state to my physically, in fact I reckon I'd have him in mobility tests. Just so slow and lumbering. But he's been picked because he knows him and figures he's less risk. McGilvray's recent interview was funny. He said Wayne Bennett had told him he'd heard he'd been awful all year and he agreed with him. He then said something along the lines of "I'm at the end of my career, so getting to play for Great Britain is a great oppportunity". Surely there is a winger who would be a better choice than him. Grace/Lineham/Charnley aren't perfect but better than the two selected. There must be younger British wingers who would be worth a go?
    Given his fondness for young back rowers maybe Morgan Knowles can feel hard done to not to be on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Look, I know this probably won't go down well but we shouldn't worry about Lomax being on the bench. Leave Widdop the wire to get smacked about. In the grand scheme of things it's a meaningless game, I'd rather all our lads were at home setting their alarms with the rest of us and leave that stubborn old fool to it. He's doing himself no favours in my eyes and will hopefully get found out and sacked after this winter.
    Hopefully he will. I can't stand the guy.

Meaningless tour this anyway..the proper one is over here, next year, ideally with a British coach at the helm.

Give me Shaun Wane any day over Bennett.

Given his fondness for young back rowers maybe Morgan Knowles can feel hard done to not to be on the wing.
    If you want big wingers, pick Lineham. He deserves his spot more than Hall does

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Hopefully he will. I can't stand the guy.

Meaningless tour this anyway..the proper one is over here, next year, ideally with a British coach at the helm.

Give me Shaun Wane any day over Bennett.
    Absolutely.

I was taking the •••• but yes, you're right.

Absolutely.

I was taking the •••• but yes, you're right.
    Wouldn't surprise me to be honest..Bateman at centre for example whilst Percival was sat at home. It's actually only one step further into stupidity.

I have a feeling this trip might not go that well & it'll set us back.

I have absolutely no interest in playing Tonga and New Zealand in tests. Don't care. I want them to be playing Australia. That's who we want to beat

In The South Stand

Hall is better than Lineham IMO, Lineham is very flakey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Completely agree, I wouldn't mind at all if all our players were on the beach instead of the bench, I know it's a selfish opinion, but the season is hard enough as it is, all we need is for Lomax and or Coote to be injured and having to let Richardson go would be a decision that haunts us, I got the impression that Makinson didn't seem too disappointed that he had to miss the tour

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post

Understood. Just that Lineham has played a lot more games this season

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Completely agree, I wouldn't mind at all if all our players were on the beach instead of the bench, I know it's a selfish opinion, but the season is hard enough as it is, all we need is for Lomax and or Coote to be injured and having to let Richardson go would be a decision that haunts us, I got the impression that Makinson didn't seem too disappointed that he had to miss the tour
    Me either, or Roby and Percival for that matter. I'm sure the lads are proud to be there but GB don't pay their wages and neither do they miss them when injured. Bennett has shown his hand so let him pick a full squad from the NRL if he wants.

Learning All The Songs

Understood. Just that Lineham has played a lot more games this season
    Positions across many sports are not just picked on by form in the international arena though. Understanding of the systems, team ethic/bonding, experience etc are all a massive part of a team; even more so at the international level where players rarely play together during a regular season. The Aussies in our sport have done it for years picking experience and proven partnerships over club form to huge success; but refreshed each year with 1-3 changes in the 17. Not suggesting Hall should be in the side (I don't think he would be if Makinson was fit) but club form isn't the be-and-end-all of the selection process IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by geordie_saint View Post
    Positions across many sports are not just picked on by form in the international arena though. Understanding of the systems, team ethic/bonding, experience etc are all a massive part of a team; even more so at the international level where players rarely play together during a regular season. The Aussies in our sport have done it for years picking experience and proven partnerships over club form to huge success; but refreshed each year with 1-3 changes in the 17. Not suggesting Hall should be in the side (I don't think he would be if Makinson was fit) but club form isn't the be-and-end-all of the selection process IMO.
    It doesn't help though when he's hardly played this season. You're right regarding the Aussie's and their policies but we don't have that pool of talent to pick from, besides, why should we follow them, I'd much prefer us not to and play some decent rugby instead of boring the opposition to death. In fact I'm fairly certain I'd be more receptive to international RL if that were the case.

It doesn't help though when he's hardly played this season. You're right regarding the Aussie's and their policies but we don't have that pool of talent to pick from, besides, why should we follow them, I'd much prefer us not to and play some decent rugby instead of boring the opposition to death. In fact I'm fairly certain I'd be more receptive to international RL if that were the case.
    Yes, I can't argue with that. As you say, McGilvary wouldn't be in either if it was on club form.

I do have concerns that Bennett is pretty dismissive of super league though

Sorry meant to reply to Geordie Saint

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post

I wouldn't want Lineham anywhere near a GB shirt. The guy is just head down and try to run through his opposite number, but most of the time he is too slow to do that. Also likely to give penalties away.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by geordie_saint View Post

Banned

Yes, I can't argue with that. As you say, McGilvary wouldn't be in either if it was on club form.

No, I wouldn't either. My team would've been.

1. Hardaker
    2. Lineham
    3. Gildart
    4. King
    5. Burgess
    6. Widdop
    7. Hastings
    8. Flower
    9. Clarke
    10. Hill
    11. Farrell
    12. Hughes
    13. S O'Loughlin

14. Williams
    15. Cooper
    16. Bullock
    17. Philbin

Got A Replica Shirt

Bullshit Lomax was the stand out player last time he was international duty and this has nothing to do with club form

Learning All The Songs

Just picking up on the bit in bold; squad for tomorrow:

James Graham (capt), Lachlan Coote, Jermaine McGillvary, Zak Hardaker, Oliver Gildart, Ryan Hall, Gareth Widdop, Jackson Hastings, Chris Hill, Josh Hodgson, Luke Thompson, John Bateman, Elliott Whitehead, Josh Jones, Tom Burgess, Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley, Jake Connor, Jack Hughes.

12 out of the 19 based in SL. Other than Hall, I don't think I'd argue on any of the NRL players not being deserved of their place in the squad. In fact, I'd argue Hill shouldn't be in (Watts would be my choice) more rigorously than any of other NRL selections. He's also dropped George Burgess from the squad and not selected Ryan Sutton from the NRL.

Hall, Hill and Hardaker are the only real contentious picks IMO tomorrow.

Got A Replica Shirt

Talking

No, I wouldn't either. My team would've been.

1. Hardaker
    2. Lineham
    3. Gildart
    4. King
    5. Burgess
    6. Widdop
    7. Hastings
    8. Flower
    9. Clarke
    10. Hill
    11. Farrell
    12. Hughes
    13. S O'Loughlin

14. Williams
    15. Cooper
    16. Bullock
    17. Philbin
    No Luke Thomson? Me thinks green eyed monster with your choices

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Just watched the video of handing out the international caps and jerseys, Peacock was enthusiastic but Bennet was a disgrace didn't look interested and offered handshakes like a wet kipper, only Walmsley got a wry smile out of him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kimmysaint View Post
    No Luke Thomson? Me thinks green eyed monster with your choices
    Nothing like missing the point entirely.

Banned

Less game time the better for our players it will hopefully get Bennett out of the door quicker.