Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Academy tour game2.

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Academy tour game2.

Arrrgh, damn n blast. The boys lost to a 78th min try by 20pts to 16. These roosters seem to have the edge on us at junior and senior levels. Let's hope we can turn it around in the big one, (WCC) next year.
    Incidentally it's not surprising we got beat considering the size of some of their guys, absolute monsters.

In The South Stand

They must have been growing big lads for years , I remember going to the aussie scoolboys playing at Saints old ground many years ago and came away saying " they must go to school till they are 30 years old.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    They must have been growing big lads for years , I remember going to the aussie scoolboys playing at Saints old ground many years ago and came away saying " they must go to school till they are 30 years old.
    Back in the 80s my school played St John Fisher from pieland. I was 15 and 6 foot. Only two of their players were shorter than me (hooker & scrum half) and the whole team seemed to have 5 o'clock shadow or full beards.

The dad of one our our guys quipped "bloody hell, they look like they've just come off a shift down the pit".

They beat us 30-odd-10 or something. Dunno if he played that day, but Joynt was in my year at that school. I like to think he played

Got A Season Ticket

Ah, St John Fisher. That corridor leading to the pitch with photos of all the cup-winning teams and internationals. No real psychological effect!

Got A Season Ticket

I didn't miss a Saints tour match for years until I moved to Queensland so bit of a shame they're not playing up here, still a great effort by the Saints team who were basically playing opposition a year older. The Roosters even had a couple of u18's.

In The South Stand

Reading the report of the game on Saints website you couldn't help but be impressed with Dodd I think that lad should get a few first team games next season .

Learning All The Songs

Reckon it won't be long before NRL clubs are sniffing around Dodd; sounds like he has had a great tour so far.

Banned

Reading the report of the game on Saints website you couldn't help but be impressed with Dodd I think that lad should get a few first team games next season .
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Reckon it won't be long before NRL clubs are sniffing around Dodd; sounds like he has had a great tour so far.
    I agree with both of these posts.

Why would NRL clubs sniff round a player who has not even made the grade in super league, hope the lad has a great career in front of him but talk of the NRL is pure fantasy

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Why would NRL clubs sniff round a player who has not even made the grade in super league, hope the lad has a great career in front of him but talk of the NRL is pure fantasy
    I agree,the tours have been going on for a good while now and how many players have we lost to the nrl ? It might put them on a teams list of players to watch out for,but that would be the case if we had the tours or not.

Learning All The Songs

I think touring Oz every 2 years is a great attraction for an up & coming kid who has the choice of a few top club. I think I am right in thinking no other club does this atm.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    If he has the potential everyone says he has, then why would the scouts not sound him out whilst running games in their own back-yard?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I think touring Oz every 2 years is a great attraction for an up & coming kid who has the choice of a few top club. I think I am right in thinking no other club does this atm.
    Its only us that has done it on a regular biannual basis, one of the biggest reasons why we can sign up young players from the service areas especially from Widnes and Warrington. I think Lewis Dodd is from Widnes similar to Percival and Jumah Sambou is from Warrington. Jack Welsby was originally from Shevington, Wigan but he played for Blackbrook at a young age, I don't know if his family moved into that area.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its only us that has done it on a regular biannual basis, one of the biggest reasons why we can sign up young players from the service areas especially from Widnes and Warrington.
    Definitely. My lad is 13 now and is training with Saints, Wigan and Warrington. Warrington have put a lot of effort into it, inviting him to training and attending his club training sessions and games. But when you speak to the parents of the other kids, each club has got the same set of lads training with them. I think there is a herd mentality to it as well, a lot of them are very interested in which club each kid would choose if they were offered scholarships from them all. A few of the leading players have said Saints, so it's easy to see Saints picking up the best players from that age group as well. The players are so similar, all three clubs have picked up the same players three or four lads from Cumbria and East Yorkshire, not just Warrington, Widnes, Wigan and St Helens. The coach was doing a speech at the end of the last training session at Cowley and his closing lines included 'Our academy lads are off to tour Australia, that could be you lot if you keep putting in the effort and choose us'.

They won again today I believe against Souths. Last minute try.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    They won again today I believe against Souths. Last minute try.
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/10/2...ay-13-of-tour/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Seems Lewis Dodd was the stand out player again. If he starts to fulfill his potential, ity was probably a smart bit of business to let Richardson go.

In The South Stand

Sometimes its hard to hold some players back , young Martyn showing he is adept at seeing the chance for an interception as well as being voted best back .

Banned

Sometimes its hard to hold some players back , young Martyn showing he is adept at seeing the chance for an interception as well as being voted best back .
    I noticed that, something his Dad was quite good at. Somethings just can't be taught.

In The South Stand

I avoided saying that .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Seems Lewis Dodd was the stand out player again. If he starts to fulfill his potential, ity was probably a smart bit of business to let Richardson go.
    Just seen his try, very nicely taken.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Think we need to be very careful that we don’t have another Richardson scenario though. Felt with Richardson that he was almost hyped up so much by the media, people watching etc, to levels that he just couldn’t reach and I don’t want that to happen to Dodd. Hopefully with Dodd we bring him through a bit more carefully, which should be easier now that reserves are back. 19’s to Super League is another sport.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Think we need to be very careful that we don’t have another Richardson scenario though. Felt with Richardson that he was almost hyped up so much by the media, people watching etc, to levels that he just couldn’t reach and I don’t want that to happen to Dodd. Hopefully with Dodd we bring him through a bit more carefully, which should be easier now that reserves are back. 19’s to Super League is another sport.
    Two different players though. Dodd looks Tony Myler esque in the way he keeps his head up at all times and just sees the pass; make no mistake he looks a talent. The irony with Richardson is Cunningham got hammered at the time for his caution and ultimately he was vindicated. Its up to the club to get his development right but everything so far is highly promising.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Two different players though. Dodd looks Tony Myler esque in the way he keeps his head up at all times and just sees the pass; make no mistake he looks a talent. The irony with Richardson is Cunningham got hammered at the time for his caution and ultimately he was vindicated. Its up to the club to get his development right but everything so far is highly promising.
    Cunningham got hammered because he wouldn't do anything slightly risky that went away from his ideas and rightly so. Richardson didn't kick on, that's clear to see but it's not like he's suddenly useless, he's moved on to another SL club. I don't think Cunnungham was validated in anything he did during his managerial career with us.

I do agree though that Dodds needs to be handled carefully and as Tez mentioned, the reserves should make that easier. I feel as though he is were Jack Welsby was this time last year and will hopefully make the next step, he certainly appears to have the tools.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think the hype about Dodd as been a bit more "under the radar", but that may be just my perception. But I fully agree, his development should be managed rather than just thrown in the deep end, with everyone expecting another Sean Long.