Default Magic Weekend Fixtures 2020

Possible Magic Weekend 2020 fixtures:

St Helens vs Salford Red Devils
    Wigan Warriors vs Warrington Wolves
    Castleford Tigers vs Catalans Dragons
    Hull FC vs Leeds Rhinos
    Wakefield Trinity vs Hull KR
    Huddersfield Giants vs Toronto Wolfpack

Read this will probably be the fixtures next year in Newcastle. (i'd take this?)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Possible Magic Weekend 2020 fixtures:

St Helens vs Salford Red Devils
    Wigan Warriors vs Warrington Wolves
    Castleford Tigers vs Catalans Dragons
    Hull FC vs Leeds Rhinos
    Wakefield Trinity vs Hull KR
    Huddersfield Giants vs Toronto Wolfpack

Read this will probably be the fixtures next year in Newcastle. (i'd take this?)
    Hahaha I hope so, every one of our rivals will have a fit if we play Salford.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

If they use the same system to determine fixtures as they did for 2019 then it’ll be Salford.

1 v 3
    2 v 4

Etc.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    If they use the same system to determine fixtures as they did for 2019 then it’ll be Salford.

1 v 3
    2 v 4

Etc.
    You'd think so, but the RFL isn't renowned for consistency - in all and every respect
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Banned

I imagine they'll find some way to contrive that the piescum get to play Salford.

Leeds against Hudds or Wakey.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I imagine they'll find some way to contrive that the piescum get to play Salford.

I believe that it will be Saints v Salford.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'm crossing everything that we'll be on Saturday, I'm staying just outside Newcastle on the Friday, my Mrs and daughter are at a gymnastics comp in the centre of Newcastle all day on the Saturday, that'll be superb for me I'll go to St James Park...

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Lucky dip the week before!

I'd personally like to see:
    1st v promoted club
    2nd v 11th
    3rd v 10th
    etc

Whilst I understand the want for close games, the reward for finishing higher up the league should almost create a seeding for this type of event.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post

1st v promoted club
    2nd v 11th
    3rd v 10th
    etc

Whilst I understand the want for close games, the reward for finishing higher up the league should almost create a seeding for this type of event.
    That would be an absolute disaster for ticket sales and viewing figures.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post

1st v promoted club
    2nd v 11th
    3rd v 10th
    etc

I think it should be Champs V Champs and then as you were. Now that would cause a stink.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    That would be an absolute disaster for ticket sales and viewing figures.
    I'm not sure it would, do people attend the event because of the fixture or because it's an event? Look at ticket sales for finals a lot of nuetrals attend because of the the occasion.

I've not seen viewing figs for each specific match across the years of "Magic", but the fact that there's almost back to back games on for a few days helps to bring viewing figs in, not just individual match-ups. We're not like boxing or WWE with a main-event, with other minor matches before.

If they were to use the 1v3, 2v4 method, do you think that Huddersfield v Toronto or Hull KR v Wakefield will have people viewing in droves on screen or in the stands?

Last season's league table isn't far off the best supported at the top and lowest at the base (flip out Salford and Leeds), if you were to use that basis, 1v6, 2v7 might give a better spread of support without having a top tier game and a bottom tier game.

If it was it's own event with no league point at stake, by all means have even match ups from the previous season's rankings. But, by putting league points on offer and not counting it as one of the regular rounds of fixtures clubs are playing uneven playing field.

In The South Stand

They’re not an awful set of fixtures. Wigan-Wire for the 9,421st time in 3 years is a bit dull but should be a good game, Hull v Leeds could be close and Wakefield v Hull KR should be a big game.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    They’re not an awful set of fixtures. Wigan-Wire for the 9,421st time in 3 years is a bit dull but should be a good game, Hull v Leeds could be close and Wakefield v Hull KR should be a big game.
    I agree. Without manufacturing the fixtures which is a complete nonsense, it’s a decent line up. Saints v Salford is a GF repeat, Wigan Wire is always marketable, as is Hull v Leeds. Catalans v Cas is a well matched game too. Stick the other two games first up on each day and it’s the best line up for a while

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Why? They've had Warrington the last two years, whereas we have had the easier fixtures.

I'd go back to derbies all round. Last year's set of fixtures was a right turn-off all round. Apart from our game, I had no interest in being there.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Why? They've had Warrington the last two years, whereas we have had the easier fixtures.

I'd go back to derbies all round. Last year's set of fixtures was a right turn-off all round. Apart from our game, I had no interest in being there.
    I have no interest in watching anyone apart from us live. On TV, yes fine but it baffles me why fans from want to sit and watch other teams/mix with their fans. Each to their own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I have no interest in watching anyone apart from us live. On TV, yes fine but it baffles me why fans from want to sit and watch other teams/mix with their fans. Each to their own I suppose.
    I have always enjoyed the whole event including watching the other games and the craic with the other fans.
    Anfield was the first MW I have missed and won't be going next season either. They have changed to the bank holiday and I go to a Festival on that weekend every year. Shame, Newcastle was always fantastic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I have always enjoyed the whole event including watching the other games and the craic with the other fans.
    Anfield was the first MW I have missed and won't be going next season either. They have changed to the bank holiday and I go to a Festival on that weekend every year. Shame, Newcastle was always fantastic.
    As I said, each to their own, just not my cup of Rusty.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

My wife asked me did I want go over to Newcastle for it. I watch all weekly the televised games, but don't think I could be bothered with 2 days of teams I have no interest in.

During MW apart for Saints, I will watch the bigger games EG Wire V Pies but not all of the games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    My wife asked me did I want go over to Newcastle for it. I watch all weekly the televised games, but don't think I could be bothered with 2 days of teams I have no interest in.

During MW apart for Saints, I will watch the bigger games EG Wire V Pies but not all of the games.
    If I'm at home and have nothing on I'll watch it half arsed as I do most games but I couldn't be doing being there unless it was on a freebee/corporate do. I understand why folk enjoy it but it's not for me. Maybe we should book that weekend away, have a knock in the morning and find an Irish bar to watch it in the afternoon.

In The South Stand

It is what you make it, I suppose. My group tend to make the non-Saints games a bit of a laugh by introducing games to keep us entertained and with something on them. We’ve bet on a tryscorer in each game, we’ve put a pound in a pint pot for each try scored and whoever ends up with it on the end of the day wins the contents and one year we predicted how many tries would be scored each day.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

I was at Anfield this year and watched all the games including Saints in one day and really enjoyed the day. I couldn't do two days though

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

If I'm at home and have nothing on I'll watch it half arsed as I do most games but I couldn't be doing being there unless it was on a freebee/corporate do. I understand why folk enjoy it but it's not for me. Maybe we should book that weekend away, have a knock in the morning and find an Irish bar to watch it in the afternoon.
    It won't be a weekend away for me as my daughter is getting married, and we will have a house full. Any other time I am always up for a round and a game after.

Got A Replica Shirt

All will be revealed at 3pm today apparently.

Hull v Leeds Saturday 7.30pm.. already out..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Hull v Leeds Saturday 7.30pm.. already out..
    Saints v Salford 5.15pm on the Saturday it is.