Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Leeds Fined for cheating

  1. #1
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Leeds Fined for cheating

    £10,000 fined for cheating last year?

    Seems if your fighting relegation break the cap and the fine will be cheaper than going down? (ala Wigan with Fielden)

  2. #2
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,614
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    £10,000 fined for cheating last year?

    Seems if your fighting relegation break the cap and the fine will be cheaper than going down? (ala Wigan with Fielden)
    What a disgrace. After reading the report Leeds have apparently been treated extremely leniently. When is our sort going to take these things seriously? Time and again repeat offenders are, in reality, getting away with it. Fining clubs in retrospect is obviously no deterrent. Cheats need to be made an example of. Points must be deducted, then maybe clubs like Leeds will examine whom they employ in their admin teams, to avoid "administrative error"!

  3. #3
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    What a disgrace. After reading the report Leeds have apparently been treated extremely leniently. When is our sort going to take these things seriously? Time and again repeat offenders are, in reality, getting away with it. Fining clubs in retrospect is obviously no deterrent. Cheats need to be made an example of. Points must be deducted, then maybe clubs like Leeds will examine whom they employ in their admin teams, to avoid "administrative error"!
    Leaving yourself wide open with statements like this Prez.
    Because Saints would never breach the salary cap er..........................again.

  4. #4
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,147
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    “We had no idea we had exceeded the 'live' cap at the time”

    Doesn’t say much for the running of your club then does it, Gary?

  5. #5
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50129375

    So not only have they gone over the cap,they have gone over it at four separate points. How can they dodge a deduction ?

  6. #6
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,147
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50129375

    So not only have they gone over the cap,they have gone over it at four separate points. How can they dodge a deduction ?
    I thought the whole point of the live cap was to stop situations like this

  7. #7
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,754
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/50129375

    So not only have they gone over the cap,they have gone over it at four separate points. How can they dodge a deduction ?
    Yes, thats surprising if we have a live cap then who isn't doing the job right at the RFL to allow 4 separate breaches. Have they been turning a blind eye whilst they have signed up a couple of mid season signings during that relegation threat period and are they in a similar scenario for the 2019 season.

  8. #8
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes, thats surprising if we have a live cap then who isn't doing the job right at the RFL to allow 4 separate breaches. Have they been turning a blind eye whilst they have signed up a couple of mid season signings during that relegation threat period and are they in a similar scenario for the 2019 season.
    Makes you wonder the point of a live cap if they can register contracts at the end of the year.

  9. #9
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,296
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    There needs to be more of a punishment than that IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  10. #10
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,010
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    There needs to be more of a punishment than that IMO.
    Aye.

    But the appropriate punishment would see them in the Championship. That's not going to happen
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  11. #11
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,194
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Could just scrap the stupid cap.

  12. #12
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,010
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Could just scrap the stupid cap.
    Warrington might win the league then
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  13. #13
    In The South Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,978
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    How exactly do you exceed the salary cap with such a shit squad?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  14. #14
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,194
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Warrington might win the league then
    Possibly but unlikely.

  15. #15
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,010
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    How exactly do you exceed the salary cap with such a shit squad?
    Brilliant
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  16. #16
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,010
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Possibly but unlikely.
    I guess. The real top players won't want to play for little Wire
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    How exactly do you exceed the salary cap with such a shit squad?
    PROPER LOL at this

  18. #18
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,480
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Leeds have always been the RFL darlings
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  19. #19
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,754
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Leeds have always been the RFL darlings
    It would seem so didn't we break the salary cap by £11,000 in 2006 and got fined £22,000

    And now we have Leeds breaking the salary cap up to £25 500 in 2018 and get fined £10,000

  20. #20
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,926
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It would seem so didn't we break the salary cap by £11,000 in 2006 and got fined £22,000

    And now we have Leeds breaking the salary cap up to £25 500 in 2018 and get fined £10,000
    We broke it because Jammer got picked for GB and that triggered a contract increase.
    That article isn't very clear about Leeds though, did they spend more than their 2m, or is the issue that they have spent more than what was on the contracts at the start of the season? I think they are two very different scenarios.

  21. #21
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,296
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Aye.

    But the appropriate punishment would see them in the Championship. That's not going to happen
    They’re frustrating as an organisation. Think they’ve done some good things with the women’s game and that side of things, the disability league, bringing back GB etc but then they make other decisions that seems to have everyone scratching their heads. For me they’ve got to set a president with this, or should have done.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  22. #22
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    They’re frustrating as an organisation. Think they’ve done some good things with the women’s game and that side of things, the disability league, bringing back GB etc but then they make other decisions that seems to have everyone scratching their heads. For me they’ve got to set a president with this, or should have done.
    As with so many things, this isn't an RFL decision. The SL clubs decided that breaches like this (up to 5% of cap) should now be dealt with as fines rather than points deduction.
    I totally disagree with the change but the clubs have established independence for themselves on this and other issues and the RFL has been left with the dirty work of applying the guidelines.

  23. #23
    In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,905
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    They’re frustrating as an organisation. Think they’ve done some good things with the women’s game and that side of things, the disability league, bringing back GB etc but then they make other decisions that seems to have everyone scratching their heads. For me they’ve got to set a president with this, or should have done.
    They didn't have much wiggle room after they cowered away from punishing wigan properly

  24. #24
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    913
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Leeds must feel a bit let off considering in Union that Saracens are fined 5m and 35pts deduction?

  25. #25
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Leeds must feel a bit let off considering in Union that Saracens are fined 5m and 35pts deduction?
    That is a proper punishment,but then it was a very shady way of trying to get around the cap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •