Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can We Keep Thompson beyond 2021????

Got A Season Ticket

Default Can We Keep Thompson beyond 2021????

Early this year I went to a Johnny Lomax Q&A and it seemed to me the that Tommo comes from money ( I could be totally wrong so sorry in advance). However can we beat the NRL to his signature long term?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RED OR DEAD View Post
    Early this year I went to a Johnny Lomax Q&A and it seemed to me the that Tommo comes from money ( I could be totally wrong so sorry in advance). However can we beat the NRL to his signature long term?
    Hopefully but we'll have to make him our Marquee player. (Sam Burgees is on 1.2m aus/dollar per season)

In The South Stand

Realistically if he wants to try the nrl there is little we can do about it.A lot will depend on how he gets on with the new coach.

There seems to be an inference it's all about money.
    For me it's more about whether he has ambitions to play in The NRL. If he has then I suspect that he will be on his way.
    Jammer always had ambitions to go.
    James Roby could well have gone but clearly chose not to.
    It depends on Thommo and what he wants to do and not necessarily how many £'s or $ are on offer.

I think it’s all about how he gets on with our new coach. It’s no secret that the team really enjoyed being coached by JH. They are gutted he has left. If Tommo feels the environment is less ‘fun / enjoyable’ then maybe he might look at pastures new. I see that with maybe Coote as well.
    Also if JH makes his new club a more viable proposition ( as at the moment they are a mess) he might poach one or two in 2021
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

In all honesty it's a personal thing. I salute the loyalty of the likes of James Roby, however, I'm not sure I could say, hand on heart, that if I was as skilful as him or Thompson, I would say no to a move to Oz. The lifestyle is totally different. I always remember an interview with Adrian Morley when he left to go down under, where he stated (I'm paraphrasing) that when he used to open his curtains in the UK to go to training he'd see "rows of terraced houses gleaming with rain under dark skies. Now I've moved to Australia I open my curtains and I see Bondi Beach!"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Everyone talks of his personal, or at least family wealth as a positive.. it may work against us as he'll probably be more motivated to test himself over money..

He now has two grand finals, he'd probably hope to win a challenge cup, but no doubt he'll want an NRL GF..

He may be more than happy here, a lot depends on girlfriend, wife, kids family etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    In all honesty it's a personal thing. I salute the loyalty of the likes of James Roby, however, I'm not sure I could say, hand on heart, that if I was as skilful as him or Thompson, I would say no to a move to Oz. The lifestyle is totally different. I always remember an interview with Adrian Morley when he left to go down under, where he stated (I'm paraphrasing) that when he used to open his curtains in the UK to go to training he'd see "rows of terraced houses gleaming with rain under dark skies. Now I've moved to Australia I open my curtains and I see Bondi Beach!"
    That's very true but there's also lots of Australians, the press, the NRL morality police, dangerous animals and being a long way from home, plus I found it a pretty boring place.

I want him to go out there and prove himself to the Aussies. Massive loss for us but we'll be alright. I'd be gone if I was as good as him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Up to him. Love him to stay, would wish him all the best if he went.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    That's very true but there's also lots of Australians, the press, the NRL morality police, dangerous animals and being a long way from home, plus I found it a pretty boring place.
    I know someone who had an eastern brown in his pool table. I can imagine the delight

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I know someone who had an eastern brown in his pool table. I can imagine the delight
    Is that a metaphor ?

Quote Originally Posted by gerry mander View Post
    is that a metaphor ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    The money Morley was earning he should have been living better than Bondi.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

You can't begrudge any of the lads the chance to prove themselves in the NRL. We simply cannot compete with the money.So long as they do right by Saints we can't complain.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I think family ties are the more important factor.

Yes we have skype/facetime etc and a plane flight is only ever 24 hrs away, but if you are a player with a wife and kids who have built up friendship groups it is far more difficult to up root all that for your own self-interest in a brand new country.
    I think the NRL would appeal to younger players with fewer ties, or older players who could see it as a 2 year stint where they can work away from home 9 months at a time, but that is still a lot of time to miss out on your kids growing up if you have any.

I have thought for a few years now that if you want to retain players one of the best methods would be for them to get hitched to someone who has a pretty well paid job that is difficult to move overseas.
    Not that we can manufacture player relationships, but a singleton has far less to consider than someone who may have to consider more than just their own career.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Hopefully but we'll have to make him our Marquee player. (Sam Burgees is on 1.2m aus/dollar per season)
    On the subject of Sam Burgess,he's looking at possible retirement and. $3.6 million payout of the rest of his contract

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    On the subject of Sam Burgess,he's looking at possible retirement and. $3.6 million payout of the rest of his contract
    that's more than a SL clubs full annual salary budget.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He’s done reasonably well for himself you’d have to say

Banned

That's sad news. The report I read said that after picking up an infection after shoulder surgery, he has only 25% of the bone remaining in one shoulder.

As for the money, I expect insurance would kick in - but I'm surprised that any money paid to a player having to retire for medical reasons wouldn't automatically be taken out of the Cap reckoning.

Banned

It's ••••ing me off now. Poor, lazy journalism.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/st-he...J-qF1x_TRskczo

In The South Stand

It's getting really bad,just second rate click bait by people who are to lazy to do any real journalism.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quite right, particularly with grace and that quote reads completely out of context

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Sites like that and Love Rugby League just trawl the internet for rumours and repeat them on their sites as “journalism.”
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

I appreciate you will consider this as trolling but shouldn’t this read “UNTIL 2021”? I have the same concern in relation to D Clark, contracts seem to be there to drive up a transfer fee rather than offer true protection from the NRL poachers.