Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 2020 line up

Banned

Default Your 2020 line up

Yes i no its only been 1 week but im already having withdrawal symptoms already, so to keep it at bay just wondering what everyones 1-17 would be?

1-13 picks itself but the 4 kn the bench is anyones. Do you go with smith to cover hooker, bentley to get more game time and play him hooker of second row? Or go same again like qe did most of the year with 3 props and a second row (hopefully not paulo)

Id go

14. Smith
    15. Lms
    16. Lees
    17. Ashworth/amor

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I can see Smith becoming a permanent fixture in the 17 now with Roby gradually reducing his minutes. A lot will depend on how he responds to further treatment on his groin between now and January but I do think we’ll start to see the transition now unfortunately.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Agree - Unfortunately after watching 2 of the best hookers in the game that era is coming to an end.

Following on from Cunningham and Roby leaves big boots to fill so need to start sooner rather than later

In the majority of games we can probably afford Roby to only play the sub role now and do 20-30 mins. He can probably do another 2 years on those terms just preserving him for big games

I think it’s important we “test” Smith whilst we still have Roby too. If we sheltered Smith too much and waited for Roby to retire before playing him regularly then that’s a massive gamble for me. I’d rather find out over the next 12-18 months if Smith can play at the required level week in week out and if not, we can buy a replacement for when Roby presumably retires in 2 years time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I can see Smith becoming a permanent fixture in the 17 now with Roby gradually reducing his minutes. A lot will depend on how he responds to further treatment on his groin between now and January but I do think we’ll start to see the transition now unfortunately.
    I reckon Josh Eaves will be challenging for that 9 spot as well, he looked tougher and stronger this year and has those important leadership organising attributes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Like people have said 1-13 picks itself. Smith has to take a bench place for me to see if he has what it takes to succeed Roby. This leaves Lees, Ashworth, LMS, Amor, Bentley, Paulo fighting over 3 bench spots. I’d like to see Bentley get a lot of game time next year so I’d have him in spot number 2. Woolf needs to decide whether Ashworth is going to be a prop or a 2nd row and bulk him up or slim him down depending on which. LMS bound to take the 3rd spot so spot 4 can go to Lees, Amor or Ashworth depending on form. Paulo shouldn’t play unless there’s injuries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I reckon Josh Eaves will be challenging for that 9 spot as well, he looked tougher and stronger this year and has those important leadership organising attributes.
    Agree. I think he's got a big future.

Maybe in the future, we will see the two of them in the 17?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Like people have said 1-13 picks itself. Smith has to take a bench place for me to see if he has what it takes to succeed Roby. This leaves Lees, Ashworth, LMS, Amor, Bentley, Paulo fighting over 3 bench spots. I’d like to see Bentley get a lot of game time next year so I’d have him in spot number 2. Woolf needs to decide whether Ashworth is going to be a prop or a 2nd row and bulk him up or slim him down depending on which. LMS bound to take the 3rd spot so spot 4 can go to Lees, Amor or Ashworth depending on form. Paulo shouldn’t play unless there’s injuries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lees isn’t even up for debate IMO. He’s a wrecker who should be in the side every week...

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Lees isn’t even up for debate IMO. He’s a wrecker who should be in the side every week...
    Might be a ‘wrecker’ but only in defence. I know he flies out looking for hits a lot but 106 missed tackles is poor. Also needs to do better with the ball. Not enough metres or tackle busts. I like Lees and think he’s got the potential to be an excellent player, still only 21, but by no means should be guaranteed a place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Might be a ‘wrecker’ but only in defence. I know he flies out looking for hits a lot but 106 missed tackles is poor. Also needs to do better with the ball. Not enough metres or tackle busts. I like Lees and think he’s got the potential to be an excellent player, still only 21, but by no means should be guaranteed a place.
    Good points mate.

But his ability to cause chaos gives him a spot on the bench for me. But as you say, brave little half back picks him at, runs at him and goes past him, we have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Good points mate.

But his ability to cause chaos gives him a spot on the bench for me. But as you say, brave little half back picks him at, runs at him and goes past him, we have a problem
    Given props don’t usually hit their best until mid to late 20’s if Lees keeps improving year on year until then he’s going to be a top class prop. Let’s hope he bounces back from this injury in the same way Walmsley did with his.

In The West Stand

As it stands

Coote
    Makinson Naiqama Percival Grace
    Lomax Fages
    Thompson Roby Lees
    Bentley Peyroux
    Knowles

Smith Taia Walmsley LMS

I really like Bentley and I think reducing Taias minutes is natural, and I think can bring back some of the ball handling (like the quick inside ball) that’s seemed to drop out of his game last year. I know that Gold Coast would bring him on at 20 minutes for the rest of the game and think us doing similar would be very effective. The rest is fairly standard, and a toss up between LMS/Amor/Ashworth for the last slot. If we have the cap space I think we could bring someone else in whose a level above those three at the moment, but then that’s a lot of cap space in backup props...

Banned

Agree with reducing taias minutes as well. I really really rate him but hes getting on and we need to be looking towards the future so id be giving bentley as much opertunaty as possible in left second row spot. For me paulo is now behind bentley in the pecking order would let ashworth and amor fight for a spot based on form. Packs looking real strong for next year

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Hows Joe Batchelor coming along ?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I agree. He’d be in my 17 every week.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I agree. He’d be in my 17 every week.
    Me too, hopefully this injury doesn’t knock his pre season backwards. I’d imagine it will be difficult psychologically too, taking a tackle to the midriff again

A lot depends on how our new coach wants to play the game. I have heard he likes the wrestling ground game. So that will be interesting (or boring).
    That aside I would like to see Bentley replace Paulo. I’m not a fan of having a hooker on the bench. I like Smith but for me it’s a wasted spot as he is not a utility player. Whoever plays hooker should do the 80 or get spelled by Bentley or Knowles when needed. My bench would be Ashworth LMS Amor Lees. Ashworth plays more than one role replacing Peyroux at times.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    Hows Joe Batchelor coming along ?
    He has had very limited opportunities hasn't he, really needs a few run of games but we've not had a depleted back row in 2019.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He has had very limited opportunities hasn't he, really needs a few run of games but we've not had a depleted back row in 2019.
    At least there's the reserves this year so you'd imagine he'll be starting off there. Just had a look, he's 24 now so probably needs to show something this year or maybe we'll look to move him on.

Whether he was just ploughing on through injury, I'm not sure, but Robes looked a shadow of his former self towards the end of the season in my opinion. I even thought in the Final, he was well below par and made some un-characteristic errors. Not sure if I am totally sold on Smith yet, so will be interesting to see how Eaves develops.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Whether he was just ploughing on through injury, I'm not sure, but Robes looked a shadow of his former self towards the end of the season in my opinion. I even thought in the Final, he was well below par and made some un-characteristic errors. Not sure if I am totally sold on Smith yet, so will be interesting to see how Eaves develops.
    Roby was struggling with his groin all year, he had surgery mid season and it clearly did not have the effect they hoped, towards the end of the season it looked like it was really troubling him, i dont think we would have had Smith on the bench if Roby was even close to being fully fit. I thought Smith did well enough this year considering it was his first full year in the first team squad, but he has the best person to learn from as his senior hooker.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I agree regarding smith. I’m not 100% sold on him either. I think he needs to bulk up a bit in the off season. He got ploughed over quite a few times this season, the Warrington game where he got knocked out being a good example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Me too, hopefully this injury doesn’t knock his pre season backwards. I’d imagine it will be difficult psychologically too, taking a tackle to the midriff again
    The way he was celebrating at the end of the GF he looked ready to go. Based on that enthusiasm alone, I doubt any psychological damage. Fingers crossed for the lad.

Banned

Surely what this season has taught us is the importance of having squad depth where quality doesn't dip if 2/3/4 first choices are missing, and rotating within that to prevent burn-out. Assuming Amor stays, and continues his 2019 form, Woolf will be able to rotate a strong set of 6 props. Players like Smith, Bentley & Welsby will all have benefited from 1st team gametime this year, and I can see Smith and Bentley getting more next season as Roby & Taia play fewer minutes/games, whilst Welsby looks to be cover for FB - with Coote perhaps covering HB where absolutely necessary, and Dodd getting the odd game to blood him.

The blueprint is there and, with the cream of young players we have potentially coming through, we shouldn't need a major transition phase in the foreseeable future (although the unexpected can always jam a spanner in the works, of course)