Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Next Years Signings

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Default Next Years Signings

Learning All The Songs

not much quality though. Think they have had their season in the sun

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Warrington the ones to watch out for, strengthened again and with a 1, 6, 7, 9 of Ratchford, Widdop, Austin, Clark they'll be contenders.

Wigan have made a couple of good signings but with Hastings replacing Williams they are still short in the halves. Burgess will make a difference but their 9-13 is still poor compared to Saints and Wire.

Salford will struggle without Hastings and Jones with no real replacements for either of them.

With 16 points separating 1st & 2nd and 2nd & bottom I think that said a lot about how average everyone else was and I don't see where a challenge is going to come from outside of Warrington.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Warrington the ones to watch out for, strengthened again and with a 1, 6, 7, 9 of Ratchford, Widdop, Austin, Clark they'll be contenders.

Wigan have made a couple of good signings but with Hastings replacing Williams they are still short in the halves. Burgess will make a difference but their 9-13 is still poor compared to Saints and Wire.

Salford will struggle without Hastings and Jones with no real replacements for either of them.

With 16 points separating 1st & 2nd and 2nd & bottom I think that said a lot about how average everyone else was and I don't see where a challenge is going to come from outside of Warrington.
    Warrington may have a good 1,6,7,9 next season, but that is not without its own issues, Widdop has well known shoulder issues, 3 dislocations in little over a year hint at a deeper problem there, didnt Hooper have to retire because his shoulder kept popping out, Blake Austin had a year where he missed a lot due to injury. Ratchford missed a long time last season as well, how many games are all 4 going to be on the pitch together, if they can stay on the pitch they may be contenders, if they dont i do not see them having the people there to cover adequately.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Warrington may have a good 1,6,7,9 next season, but that is not without its own issues, Widdop has well known shoulder issues, 3 dislocations in little over a year hint at a deeper problem there, didnt Hooper have to retire because his shoulder kept popping out, Blake Austin had a year where he missed a lot due to injury. Ratchford missed a long time last season as well, how many games are all 4 going to be on the pitch together, if they can stay on the pitch they may be contenders, if they dont i do not see them having the people there to cover adequately.
    Warrington are still lacking a top centre too. Godwin was a good player but he’s gone now and Gelling has come in. If Toby King is still classed as one of their first choice centres come January I’d be happy with that as a Saints fan.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Warrington the ones to watch out for, strengthened again and with a 1, 6, 7, 9 of Ratchford, Widdop, Austin, Clark

Are you saying.... this could be their year?

You can say that about our 1, 6, 7 and 9 as well. Coote and Roby all spent time out last year and Lomax has had his injury problems. Warrington have Mamo and Patton backing up their full back and halves, we are dipping into our academy for cover next season.

Learning All The Songs

You can say that about our 1, 6, 7 and 9 as well. Coote and Roby all spent time out last year and Lomax has had his injury problems. Warrington have Mamo and Patton backing up their full back and halves, we are dipping into our academy for cover next season.
    You could, i agree, Lomax has had prior issues but the last couple of years he has been fine, Fages as well, Coote missed most of last year a small part through injury, the rest as they had another fullback, Roby has missed games over the last few years through a variety of issues, not a specific one like Widdop. Mamo and Patton are nothing to write home about, both played consistently this year and offered little, Patton especially considering where he was playing. As TYG says they also dont have the quality of centres around them to implement moves, Gelling is a decent player, but King is bang average as a centre.

Learning All The Songs

Wigan will finish above Warrington comfortably and it’ll be between us and them for the major prizes. Warrington are in a mess. Widdop is a quality player but as mentioned above there has to be serious concerns over his shoulder and whether his best days are behind him. Steve Price is a poor coach, has them playing terrible rugby and despite having the likes of Clark and Austin they look clueless in attack. Throwing Widdop in isn’t going to change that so until they get rid of Price and appoint a decent coach who’ll bring new ideas (they should have done already) they’ll struggle. There’s no chance of them going from relegation form over the past 3 months to league winning form. Not to mention apart from Widdop their recruitment has been crap as usual. Gelling is a shocking signing and it says a lot when even Widnes fans couldn’t care less that he’s left.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Wigan will finish above Warrington comfortably and it’ll be between us and them for the major prizes. Warrington are in a mess. Widdop is a quality player but as mentioned above there has to be serious concerns over his shoulder and whether his best days are behind him. Steve Price is a poor coach, has them playing terrible rugby and despite having the likes of Clark and Austin they look clueless in attack. Throwing Widdop in isn’t going to change that so until they get rid of Price and appoint a decent coach who’ll bring new ideas (they should have done already) they’ll struggle. There’s no chance of them going from relegation form over the past 3 months to league winning form. Not to mention apart from Widdop their recruitment has been crap as usual. Gelling is a shocking signing and it says a lot when even Widnes fans couldn’t care less that he’s left.

Price masterminded a CCF win over us. Yes, refereeing decisions and luck went against us all game, and too many of our players panicked and choked on the big stage, but he still put into place a gameplan that was effective in stifling our attack, and alleviated some of the impact of the heat for them (ie, gaming the HIA system).

I wouldn't choose him as our coach, but he isn't 'poor'.

And Wire aren't poor overall. They put the cue on the rack after the CCF win to a large extent; I think Hill is on a downward curve now, Austin overrated, and Widdop is a huge gamble, but they still have some very decent players.

I think they'll be up there in the 5 - but whereabouts depends on a few things.

Banned

Disagree with this to be honest. I think Wigan will go ok in the halves. They've got Hastings and I expect the kid, Harry Smith to see game time next year. With Leulai there as well they should be ok in that position. If Manfredi comes back to anything like the player he was then they have a pretty good back line. Whilst I think Burgess was a touch overated, he's a decent signing in the pack. With kids like Smithies set to take over from O'Loughlin I think they'll be a threat. As you say however, whether all this amounts to 16 points worth of improvement is questionable.

Conversely, I think Warrington's back line is pretty average; players like Lineham and Charnley are overated in my opinion. There's some decent players in their squad but some bog average ones as well and they look an aging team. Signing players like Gelling was massively underwhelming. Hull should be challenging them for third if Radford can coach properly.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Are you saying.... this could be their year?
    Year of the Woolf, Kristian Woolf
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Disagree with this to be honest. I think Wigan will go ok in the halves. They've got Hastings and I expect the kid, Harry Smith to see game time next year. With Leulai there as well they should be ok in that position. If Manfredi comes back to anything like the player he was then they have a pretty good back line. Whilst I think Burgess was a touch overated, he's a decent signing in the pack. With kids like Smithies set to take over from O'Loughlin I think they'll be a threat. As you say however, whether all this amounts to 16 points worth of improvement is questionable.

Conversely, I think Warrington's back line is pretty average; players like Lineham and Charnley are overated in my opinion. There's some decent players in their squad but some bog average ones as well and they look an aging team. Signing players like Gelling was massively underwhelming. Hull should be challenging them for third if Radford can coach properly.
    Wigan from 2-5 are decent but Hardaker was pants last year at full back. Their pack, even with the addition of Burgess, is still powderpuff. You could have put the 1st choice Australian backline in the Wigan side for that play off game and we'd have still battered them.

Learning All The Songs

Just wondering where they get the money from re salary cap. However if your pack is getting beaten up I cannot see the backs getting the ball in key area's