Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Grace to the NRL?

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Default Grace to the NRL?

Can’t read the article but apparently Regan Grace has stated he wants to move to the NRL to the Gold Coast

https://thewest.com.au/sport/gold-co...8f8cdf1fd854ca

Would be gutted if he did leave, he’s become one of my favourite players and has a massive future.

Edit - article pasted below. Looks like he’s not on about heading out yet.
    Last edited by reliable sauce; 16th October 2019 at 22:20.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Article;

ST Helens speedster Regan Grace is lighting up the English Super League and he wants to play in the NRL … for the Gold Coast Titans.
    Five days ago, incoming Titans coach Justin Holbrook guided Grace and his Saints teammates to the Super League title.
    When The Daily Telegraph asked Grace, who is playing for Wales in this weekend’s World Cup Nines, which NRL side he wanted to play for, he said the reigning wooden spooners would be ideal.
    “The Gold Coast, so I can go see my old coach Justin Holbrook,” Grace said.
    “I have a best mate who lives up on the Gold Coast as well, so it would be good to catch up with him.”
    Holbrook signed a twoyear deal — with an option to extend — to be Titans coach and is tasked with the job of rebuilding the roster.
    Grace is under contract at St Helens until the end of the 2021 season but his signature would be a coup for the struggling club.
    While a move might be two years away, Grace, who scored 22 tries from 33 matches this season, is keen to play in the NRL.
    “I’d love to be able to get to that standard and test myself out here,” he said.
    “We’re at the top level [at St Helens] over in England, doing our thing there, and we are starting to win trophies. But hopefully I can get a couple more of those first before I start looking elsewhere.”
    The electrifying winger is one of the fastest players in England and has been burning opposition defenders since making his debut in 2017.
    Grace, 22, was clocked at a top speed of 36.7km/h this year in a game against Hull KR. It’s the kind of pace that has him close to the NRL’s fastest man Josh Addo-Carr (38.5km/h) from Melbourne, while he’s marginally quicker than Sydney Roosters star centre Latrell Mitchell (36.6km/h).
    While a number of English forward imports such as South Sydney’s Burgess trio and Canberra’s Josh Hodgson, Elliott Whitehead and John Bateman have successfully made the transition into the NRL, outside backs haven’t had the same success.
    “I think there is a lot more competition in the backs over here and there is a lot of similar type players, like fast players who are elusive and are all really tall,” Grace said.
    “Also, the English clubs try to keep their best backs, too. I think it’s a bit of both.”
    It’s been a whirlwind few days for Grace, who will line up for Wales in the World Cup Nines. He had to board a long-haul flight to Sydney less than 24 hours after winning the Super League grand final on Saturday.
    “We won the grand final and then less than 24 hours later I had to be ready to get on the plane,” he said. “I’m gutted that I missed out on most of the partying.
    “Then I had to sit down on the plane for another 24 hours and I landed here on Tuesday morning. A had a bit of a sore head but I think the adrenaline and excitement of winning got me through it all.”

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I don't think Grace is good enough for the NRL at the moment, still needs to mature his all round game for a couple of years yet.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I don't think Grace is good enough for the NRL at the moment, still needs to mature his all round game for a couple of years yet.
    I have said before I would not mind RG being given a try-out at S/O , devestating pace off the mark . As he rightly says the NRL seems to go for big , power men on the wings . If it is true then I reckon JH has been chatting to him . Whatever good luck & God bless him . He seems like a cracking lad as well .
    Last edited by fonsboy; 17th October 2019 at 04:37.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I have said before that you can't begrudge any of the lads trying to secure their futures with a spell in the NRL provided they do right by Saints.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I have said before I would not mind RG being given a try-out at S/O , devestating pace off the mark . As he rightly says the NRL seems to go for big , power men on the wings . If it is true then I reckon JH has been chatting to him . Whatever good luck & God bless him . He seems like a cracking lad as well .
    Worse thing i've ever read. Just because he's quick and has excellent agility does not make a good S/O.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    Worse thing i've ever read. Just because he's quick and has excellent agility does not make a good S/O.
    I didn’t want to say anything but I have to agree. Grace to stand off is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard. He doesn’t have the passing game, the kicking game, the organisational skills or the rugby brain to play at 6. In fact I don’t think he could play anywhere bar on the wing.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don’t want to lose Grace he does a job for us, but I don’t see him as NRL standard.

Learning All The Songs

You need far more than pace to be a S/O, you need to have a passing game, be an organiser and potentially kick, i have seen very little of any of them from Grace, he is a very talented winger going forward and improving quickly defensively so dont mess with what he is doing. Maybe once his defensive has improved to a high level and he is better under the high ball, he still seems afraid to catch the ball, we could use him at full back if Coote is injured, Grace’s pace could be devastating coming in to the line late, but why change what is working well?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Grace is an out and out winger and lacks that attribute of reading the game well, we know Percival is "selfish" at times with his winger but some of that is down to Grace not seeing options. When Grace makes a break on quite a few occasions he doesn't read where his support players are. It doesn't look as though he has good hands that is anywhere Fages/Lomax standard that will be given to Jack Welsby who can play 1, 6, 7 and 13.

In The South Stand

It's just a crap article to fill space,it's basically click bait.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It's just a crap article to fill space,it's basically click bait.

Yup.

He's asked which NRL he'd choose to join, and then article makes it out as if he's pushing for a move to GCT.