Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: viewing figures.

In The South Stand

Default viewing figures.

Saints v Salford best viewing figures since 1996, report didn't give any figures.

There's a piece on Saints website. 43% higher than last years final

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Sky saying it was a 43% increase on last years rating for Wigan v Wire. That pulled in 286,600 according to BARB so this seasons rating should be around 410,000.

I think it was the perfect storm for the RFL and Sky really. An underdog story that attracted alot of attention vs one of the sports great names back in the big game after 5 years. Two teams that play a decent style of RL (in opposition to some of the recent finals featuring Wigan) and the sense that the game wasn't a foregone conclusion also helped.

With United being absolutely terrible this is a good time for Salford. They could collect quite a few new supporters

There was no football Saturday which must have helped viewing figures a bit

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    There's a piece on Saints website. 43% higher than last years final
    40% was due to IPTV being shutdown recently

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    Where’s that come from?
    IPTV wouldn’t have prompted a 40% increase, users wouldn’t have gone and paid for sky as they don’t do in the first place. They just find new servers to stream from

With United being absolutely terrible this is a good time for Salford. They could collect quite a few new supporters

GFs are always played on 'international weekends' anyway, so I don't think this is a factor. But I definitely agree that there was a certain United demographic to the 'floating' Salford support on Saturday evening. In terms of numbers this could be a benefit to Salford if some of them give it a go, but I was a bit wary of some of them descending into United-Liverpool rivarly style chants towards us once the game was done. I heard loads of 'Scouse •••••••s' chants and then watched loads leave because they couldn't bear to watch 'the Scousers' lift the trophy. Most of it was done for theatrics because I can't imagine many of them have had sleepless nights wondering about the terror of Saints winning a grand final, but the culture was certainly different.

Learning All The Songs

One of my favourite moments of the grand final day was a family of Salford fans standing outside the Old Trafford Cricket Ground looking at a map of the cricket ground trying to work out where they were sitting for the match. They were a lovely family and as genuine people as you could meet but it still makes me chuckle. I did do the decent thing and tell them where the ground was.

That's really good news for the game. I've always said the top 5 is the best of the available playoff systems, and I think it really built up a momentum of excitement towards the final this year. Some people don't like the fact that you can end up playing the same team twice in the same playoff series, but I think it just adds to the talking points and drama. It's a shame about some of the crowds (Wigan's, especially), but the most important stat for SL in the build up to the negotations for the next TV deal will be viewing figures, not attendances.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    One of my favourite moments of the grand final day was a family of Salford fans standing outside the Old Trafford Cricket Ground looking at a map of the cricket ground trying to work out where they were sitting for the match. They were a lovely family and as genuine people as you could meet but it still makes me chuckle. I did do the decent thing and tell them where the ground was.
    One of the blokes I was with did the same thing and he's been to every final we've got to!

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Where’s that come from?
    IPTV wouldn’t have prompted a 40% increase, users wouldn’t have gone and paid for sky as they don’t do in the first place. They just find new servers to stream from
    It was a joke

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

I was going to say, having it on a Premier League free weekend, England football team played (i use that word loosely) on Friday and England's RU World cup game cancelled, it was a relatively free day for any sporting spectators.

It will be interesting to see how the viewing figs look for the upcoming internationals. Similarly will Salford now start to pick up more televised games given their end of season performances? It could help to drive interest, but at the same time could mean the potential "new" fans they found for the final might just settle for TV viewing instead.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Only a portion of IPTV was shut down for the final, and I doubt that IPTV would count in the viewing figures.

Didn't see your second post, or was that a correction because your first was wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Only a portion of IPTV was shut down for the final, and I doubt that IPTV would count in the viewing figures.

Didn't see your second post, or was that a correction because your first was wrong?
    The joke was people would have to watch it legitimately rather than illegally, therefore counting in the figures this time round.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Increase was due to Wire and Wigan fans watching and praying that we'd fall flat on our faces. Instead they got to watch us crowned champions

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The joke was people would have to watch it legitimately rather than illegally, therefore counting in the figures this time round.
    I must be a bit slow. I never realised people would use ITPV to watch in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I must be a bit slow. I never realised people would use ITPV to watch in the UK
    We have virgin ourselves but I know a lot of people who's lost their channels since it went down. Just from reading my what's app group chats.

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Saints v Salford best viewing figures since 1996, report didn't give any figures.
    I think the lack of football on tv helped. I know it being a final probably helped but three people have mentioned the game to me who would not normally tune in to a rugby match and only have the remotest of passing interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think the lack of football on tv helped. I know it being a final probably helped but three people have mentioned the game to me who would not normally tune in to a rugby match and only have the remotest of passing interests.
    Isn’t it normally played in the football international break anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Isn’t it normally played in the football international break anyway?
    Yea but previously there were more games played on the Saturday. Now games are more spread out from Thursday to Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Are the world nines being televised in the UK?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Are the world nines being televised in the UK?
    Sky Sports Arena

Banned

I put this on another thread about the positive media attention more widely:

The media coverage, both before and after the final, was way higher than it's been for years. Yes, I'm going to notice more when we're involved, but this was a big jump.

Of course, the Salford fairytale dominated before the game (and I was glad they got such attention), but even afterwards it's been mentioned by media sources I wouldn't normally hear a peep about RL.

Not that I'm counting Radio Merseyside as one of those 'rarely mention RL' medias, but our win has been getting coverage on a wider programme base than normal there. I love the Monday Football Phone-In (hearing deluded bitter-blues ranting is a guilty pleasure ) and they interrupted the show to discuss our triumph - and had a live link to Holbrook. The two football pundits (one Liverpool, one Everton) both had unexpectedly great knowledge of the sport in general, the final specifically, and Saints in particular (the Everton one especially). And then, the following evening, in the show with Ian Snodin and Gary Gillespie, both again had an impressive knowledge of and admiration for the sport (and Wellens was on a live-link answering questions they and the host put to him)
    Seems to have been a much more positive vibe around the GF this year, but I'm not sure who is behind it? Saints as a club have certainly been more active, but SL in general seem to have upped their marketing game. Could we be seeing the benefits of the 'new' behind-the-scenes set up?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Seems to have been a much more positive vibe around the GF this year, but I'm not sure who is behind it? Saints as a club have certainly been more active, but SL in general seem to have upped their marketing game. Could we be seeing the benefits of the 'new' behind-the-scenes set up?
    Having the Media City in Salford probably helps!