Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Saints forwards

Got A Season Ticket

Default Saints forwards

Reports in today's Telegraph paper that Canterbury Bulldogs (seen in Merseyside) are talking to Thompson and Walmsley

Got A Season Ticket

https://www.zerotackle.com/report-sy...gue-duo-49549/

Is a link. Not exactly surprised that nrl clubs are looking to the UK for recruitment opportunities if there is any validity to the story

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

I can see Thompson going; the fact he hasn't signed a new deal and there are no noises with regards to us offering him one has me resigned to the fact we will be losing him.

Walmsley has stated that he is happy in the UK, hasn't he? Family and all that? I can't see him going.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banburysaint View Post
    https://www.zerotackle.com/report-sy...gue-duo-49549/

Is a link. Not exactly surprised that nrl clubs are looking to the UK for recruitment opportunities if there is any validity to the story

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Reads/looks like lazy journalism to me. To start Thompson is off contract end of 2020 and Walmsley 2022 not 2021 for both as per the article. I would imagine most clubs will be looking at Thompson right now and I’d imagine with the pick of the clubs Thommo won’t really be looking back at the Bulldogs.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Reads/looks like lazy journalism to me. To start Thompson is off contract end of 2020 and Walmsley 2022 not 2021 for both as per the article. I would imagine most clubs will be looking at Thompson right now and I’d imagine with the pick of the clubs Thommo won’t really be looking back at the Bulldogs.
    Thompson will have the pick of NRL clubs, and rightly so. He will be the best forward in the game very shortly, if he isn't now.

For anyone who has links to the club/knowledge of the club at present - are we aiming to offer a new deal to Luke, or are we resigned to him going to the NRL? What's the current state of play?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    I can see Thompson going; the fact he hasn't signed a new deal and there are no noises with regards to us offering him one has me resigned to the fact we will be losing him.

Walmsley has stated that he is happy in the UK, hasn't he? Family and all that? I can't see him going.
    EM made plenty of noise on the pitch at OT about having to keep players here in England. He mentioned Thompson by name, plus two others that I can't quite remember. Lees was one of them I think, but IMO the general message was aimed at the authorities.

Learning All The Songs

We have a marquee space left, don't we? I would be offering big terms to Thompson ASAP.

Thompson has stated that he will see out his current contract at Saints and will see what is on offer before he decides his future. On that basis, I imagine that whatever Saints might put on the table is unlikely to be accepted until NRL clubs have had a chance to entice him. He may also wish to see how Gold Coast are performing as I expect a link up with Holbrook would be attractive.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Thompson has stated that he will see out his current contract at Saints and will see what is on offer before he decides his future. On that basis, I imagine that whatever Saints might put on the table is unlikely to be accepted until NRL clubs have had a chance to entice him. He may also wish to see how Gold Coast are performing as I expect a link up with Holbrook would be attractive.
    Cheers mate - didn't know this.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    He may do but from what I know of Thompson he has ambition so he is unlikely to win anything in the next 3-4 years with the Gold Coast. If he is to sample the NRL then it would be with one of the big guns who are challenging for honours. The Rabbitohs are highly interest I’ve heard as are St George to replace the main stay ‘pommy’ in both their ranks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Walmsley will be 32 when his current deal runs out. Can’t see many NRL clubs wanting him then. Its hard to imagine him uprooting his young family now at the age of 29 just for a couple of seasons down under.
    Hopefully we can stick hold of Thompson.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Walmsley will be 32 when his current deal runs out. Can’t see many NRL clubs wanting him then. Its hard to imagine him uprooting his young family now at the age of 29 just for a couple of seasons down under.
    Hopefully we can stick hold of Thompson.

The way Walmsley, at the final hooter, pretty much ignored his teammates to run half the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of us fans showed what this club and us fans mean to him. He seemed in a dark place last year after his neck break and, especially after the crushing disappointment of the CCF, this win meant the world to him.

Many people have said Thompson isn't motivated primarily by money, but by career ambition. If we continue to grow under Wolff, then perhaps he'll want to give staying a go for another couple of years to see just how good and dominant we can become. But I think the strong likelihood is that he'll want to test himself in the NRL and establish himself as the undisputed best prop in the world.

Learning All The Songs

I think Thompson is more likely to test himself in the NRL given his age and Alex's family situation.

Learning All The Songs

I dont see Walmsley leaving the country, he has a young family and it would be a big upheaval for them, to be honest i struggle to see him leaving the club, what he did after the final whistle Saturday showed how much the club and fans mean to him.

Thompson could be another story, does he want to stay at his home club near his family, or does he want to go and test himself in the NRL, he is only 24 now so if we could keep him for an extra couple of years at least then we would be a major force in that time, would also allow us time to blood players to replace him if he does go. The only way i could accept him going is a swap with St George for Graham, even just for a year or 2, obviously with some money thrown in as well.

Eamonn went out of his way on Saturday praising him, Knowles and Lees as the future of the club, was that a plea to Thompson to sign up long term and see how good a team we could be?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The way Walmsley, at the final hooter, pretty much ignored his teammates to run half the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of us fans showed what this club and us fans mean to him. He seemed in a dark place last year after his neck break and, especially after the crushing disappointment of the CCF, this win meant the world to him.

Many people have said Thompson isn't motivated primarily by money, but by career ambition. If we continue to grow under Wolff, then perhaps he'll want to give staying a go for another couple of years to see just how good and dominant we can become. But I think the strong likelihood is that he'll want to test himself in the NRL and establish himself as the undisputed best prop in the world.
    I said to the girlfriend at full time that if Walmsley can run to the fans like that he hasn’t worked hard enough during the game
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Why didn't they just wait till they flew down under. They leave today, seems a wasted trip to me. Anyone who's worth signing will be out the country.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    Why didn't they just wait till they flew down under. They leave today, seems a wasted trip to me. Anyone who's worth signing will be out the country.

Not everyone...

I’d have to rewatch it to be certain but didn’t Thommo (after the match) say on Sky that he thinks that this group of players can go on for the next 4 or 5 seasons (or words to that effect?)
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I’d have to rewatch it to be certain but didn’t Thommo (after the match) say on Sky that he thinks that this group of players can go on for the next 4 or 5 seasons (or words to that effect?)
    Yes

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Learning All The Songs

There is a tweet by Saint's saying one GF winner meets another.....

It is Nequaima (sp) & James Graham face to face.
    But I always thought JG has never won a GF...

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    There is a tweet by Saint's saying one GF winner meets another.....

It is Nequaima (sp) & James Graham face to face.
    But I always thought JG has never won a GF...
    2006. If your asking the question seriously

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    2006. If your asking the question seriously

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Yep just googled it, thanks. I got misled thinking about his GF losing run.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I really do hope Luke stays for another stint after his current contract but you seriously can't stand in the way of any lad who wants to test himself in the NRL and secure hie future provided he does right by the Saints. We simply cannot compete with what is on offer in the NRL best to be open about it and try and secure a return when appropriate?
    Learned comment from The Don