Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: One for the Neg-Heads! Remember these??!

Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Well that's a relief. I thought they were all going to be my posts!

Banned

I'm glad I took a hiatus from here in the aftermath.

But the point is correct that the team did indeed choke on the day.

Wire were cute with the tactics (and cheats - like the sham head assessments to rest their big forwards), Hicks was a disgrace, and every bit of luck went their way. But if we'd have stuck to the gameplan instead of panicking, and hadn't made a couple of glaring schoolboy defensive lapses, we'd still have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Well that's a relief. I thought they were all going to be my posts!
    A few of them are mine.

Oh dear.

Salford to win on Saturday

Learning All The Songs

The Challenge Cup final loss was bitterly disappointing, but it was the kick up the arse we needed to ensure we were on point for the Grand Final, it felt like after Wembley there was a real steel to our performances, like the players had something to prove, defensively we only conceded 28 points over the 5 games post Wembley, and double figures only once. There was no need for the knee jerk reaction some posters on here had, a calm hand worked perfectly on the team.

It’s always going to happen with such a major disappointment like Wembley was. I never actually saw it as such a one sided game that we couldn’t lose. At the end of the day it was 1st v 2nd, 1st had an awful day and 2nd played well. It definitely helped in the GF though. It wasn’t the first run through of a final and all the palaver that surrounds it and we knew what we had to do before the Wigan game and beyond. One little thing was the impressive makeover of the dressing rooms and the tunnel that was revealed to them just before the Wigan match. You could tell from the videos that it gave them a lift and they were puffing their chests out. It probably helped to change the scenery, go away to Snowdonia etc in taking their minds off any worry over big games

We actually played reasonably well at Wembley. The only issue was that we tried to force things due to scoreboard pressure

At Wembley we actually made more metres, tackled better, made more clean breaks, made more offloads, bust more tackles & conceded less penalties than we did at Old Trafford

If our early dominance there had resulted in a similar lead to the one we had at OT I think we'd have had a very strong chance of winning the game

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Nothing wrong with being a bit fickle at times.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    We actually played reasonably well at Wembley. The only issue was that we tried to force things due to scoreboard pressure

At Wembley we actually made more metres, tackled better, made more clean breaks, made more offloads, bust more tackles & conceded less penalties than we did at Old Trafford

If our early dominance there had resulted in a similar lead to the one we had at OT I think we'd have had a very strong chance of winning the game
    I'd go so far as to say if Hicks hadn't wrongly ruled out the Knowles try, Saints would have controlled that game and won. When Hicks refs us next season, I hope he's booed relentlessly. I don't know whether it was a subconscious thing for him to favour Warrington so much or just plain old corruption, but it was a disgracefully one-sided refereeing performance.

Banned

Yes, it still hurts. Especially losing to that shower of sh*te.

In The South Stand

This is my piece from the “Bleating on to the RFL” thread:

“I think you’re still angry from Saturday.

It isn’t embarrassing to ask questions about refereeing decisions and, in particular, the terrible decision about the Knowles try. I’ve previously queried what going to Ganson or the RFL might achieve (“Knowles No Try?” thread) but, on reflection, we need to make refs think twice about thinking they can ride roughshod over us in future. Others have explained it better above. It’s also unusual for the club to complain about anything. The powers that be aren’t serial whingers.

The trouble with trying to get better decisions is that a more carefully thought out decision might go against us in an important game over the coming weeks. However, there isn’t any excuse for rushed/poor decisions in big games.

Don’t think I’m not worried about the team or the season. My own concern it that we have a team that seem to panic and overplaying in big games. I think losing big games is psychologically damaging and I don’t know what it will take to get the team’s corporate mindset right. Losing on Saturday has led me to depressed about the looming playoffs and GF. All I can hope is that my pessimism is misplaced and that he optimists are right. I’ve said on another thread that I’d love to read all this back and laugh about it after a GF victory.

I’m laughing now. A little bit more faith required in future.

I remember posting this

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Ok let’s be negative, that usually works doesn’t it??

I’ve sat in the rain at KR winning and losing, at Old Trafford and it’s the nature of sport and life.

I’ve never felt as down as I did at Old Trafford 2010, but some fans of teams never even get the opportunity to see their team in any final.

We go again!
    http://forums.redvee.net/showthread....64-We-Go-Again!

Funny how quite a few of those superneg posters don’t seem as prolific now we’ve actually WON something.....

Makes me wonder.....

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm glad I took a hiatus from here in the aftermath.

But the point is correct that the team did indeed choke on the day.

Wire were cute with the tactics (and cheats - like the sham head assessments to rest their big forwards), Hicks was a disgrace, and every bit of luck went their way. But if we'd have stuck to the gameplan instead of panicking, and hadn't made a couple of glaring schoolboy defensive lapses, we'd still have won.
    Taking the “choked” one out of it, lots of “Bottlers” comments and “I hope Holbrook goes now” and “he’s to blame” “no plan B” “He’s taken us as far as he can” etc.....

To be fair, I was pretty vocal that we’d muller Wire in the CC and had to eat my humble pie so I’m not blameless in getting it completely wrong on a large scale but some of the negativity has been extreme!!

Somebody said “Sometimes you have to lose one to win one”

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I remember posting this

http://forums.redvee.net/showthread....64-We-Go-Again!

Funny how quite a few of those superneg posters don’t seem as prolific now we’ve actually WON something.....

Makes me wonder.....
    You're the best fan by a mile, gloating is such a positive personality trait.

People had opinions after a loss on a huge stage, it's not up to you to criticise using hindsight as a weapon.

Very poor thread this

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    You're the best fan by a mile, gloating is such a positive personality trait.

People had opinions after a loss on a huge stage, it's not up to you to criticise using hindsight as a weapon.

Very poor thread this

Hmmm, I didn’t mean to gloat to fellow fans......

Some of the negative comments made around that time were very well thought out and rounded, many posted by people who came back a few days later with a more balanced view and have been here posting a lot of positives and plaudits since. Anyone can be negative after such a disappointment.......

The point I was making was that a lot of the really negative posts were by people who are now conspicuous by their absence in a time of success and celebration.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Hmmm, I didn’t mean to gloat to fellow fans......

Some of the negative comments made around that time were very well thought out and rounded, many posted by people who came back a few days later with a more balanced view and have been here posting a lot of positives and plaudits since. Anyone can be negative after such a disappointment.......

The point I was making was that a lot of the really negative posts were by people who are now conspicuous by their absence in a time of success and celebration.
    Sorry but every single trophy has been followed on Redvee by this type of rubbish. It isnt new and it's certainly not clever.

And if you're not gloating why are you belittling people by trawling back and using quotes?

I can understand people being upset when we lose, especially if it’s an important game, and recognise that emotions can result in extreme views being posted. What I find more difficult to grasp, however, is why some “fans” only ever seem to post negatively and in the wake of defeat or poor performances while victories such as on Saturday don’t seem to warrant anything.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Sorry but every single trophy has been followed on Redvee by this type of rubbish. It isnt new and it's certainly not clever.

And if you're not gloating why are you belittling people by trawling back and using quotes?

Got to agree that quoting people to show them up is too far. What a lot of effort to ridicule people who were understandably gutted after the Wembley debacle. That said one or two reactions were over the top but the majority were legitimate discussions.

I posted some pretty critical stuff after Wembley and taking into consideration that game and the Cats/Wire semis beforehand I'd still feel it was justified. I still was worried about our big game mentality right up to the Wigan game.

We learned from our mistakes on Saturday. You don't win finals unless you defend well, respect possession and finish your sets/kick well. All we had to do at Wembley was be patient and we'd have been in a better position to win. We learned our lessons and comfortably won the league. That is success but the Wembley performance remains shambolic.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I always like to try and credit the opposition. In fairness to Warrington and Catalan, tactically I thought they were both very good and they stuck to their plans well. Both of those teams came into all three games with very similar game plans and I think that’s where the majority of the frustration came from, there was nothing surprising about what Warrington did.

In reality we had two options: adapt and learn some lessons or lose another big game and thankfully we did adapt on Saturday. Admittedly Wigan and Salford have different strengths to Warrington and Catalan but we made some clear adjustments which was really good to see.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I can understand people being upset when we lose, especially if it’s an important game, and recognise that emotions can result in extreme views being posted. What I find more difficult to grasp, however, is why some “fans” only ever seem to post negatively and in the wake of defeat or poor performances while victories such as on Saturday don’t seem to warrant anything.
    In fairness it felt like every thread last week especially was being taken over by people rising to that Warrington fan so they’d have had to go back a fair few pages to find anything rugby related.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V