Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Kendall to Referee Grand Final

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I understand your point and agree to an extent.

Yes it's difficult to manage the holding up. Lying on should be easier to manage.
    I theory stamping your authority early should set the tempo but as I say imo blowing to much to early encourages messi g around at the ruck and kills the flow of the game. Refs often allow a little more early on so they don't set a precedent that sees them blow all the game.

Yes all teams want to slow the attacking team down, o different now to last year the year before that etc. Play the ball quick when we have the ball and slow the opposition down is the game plan of every team, it's nothing new

But back to my original point, there's a contradiction to stopping lying on by blowing the whistle and allowing the game to flow by not blowing your whistle, it cannot be both
    But im struggling to understand your original point, you dont want the ref to intervene to stop something that stops the flow of the game, because it would stop the flow of the game? Players slowing the play the ball down kills the flow of the game and a referee intervening to stop this wouldn’t stop the flow of the game, surely it would speed it up?

Banned

I see Rod Studd isn't happy about it

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    That makes it an even better appointment!

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    You just couldn’t make it up could you

As if things weren’t difficult enough for Salford as it is, up pop the RFL with a fourteenth man for saints
    Kendall has reffed ; Saints twice in SL this season, Rnd.21 Hull FC away and Rnd.26 Leeds away
    Salford six times, won four, lost two (Wigan home and away, Rnd. 7 & 20)

p.s. Warrington eight times, won six, lost two (Salford…away and home, Rnd.22 & 27)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Whats more likely to disrupt the flow of a game, a referee who may blow his whistle a few times to establish what he will accept, such as how long you can slow the ruck down, keeping players onside and other decisions or allowing players to lie on in the tackle and actively slow play down, the less thats called the more they will try to get away with. If a referee will not police the game to try and keep it flowing certain teams will do what they can to disrupt the flow of the game to use it to their advantage.

I personally do not see how a referee blowing his whistle as a bad thing as long as it has the effect of speeding the game up and letting it flow, stop teams slowing the ruck down the pace improves and so does the flow of it. As for being an ex-player i think its more about knowing what players are trying to do, where are they trying to gain an advantage.
    I’m with you warn them before the game and stamp it out as soon as it starts.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Never a chance Hicks was going ref

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Stated emphatically with the power of hindsight

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Stated emphatically with the power of hindsight
    I think many of us thought the RFL was going to give it to Hicks just because of EM's questioning of what went on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think many of us thought the RFL was going to give it to Hicks just because of EM's questioning of what went on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    It would seem Club Directors do have some influence Warrington couple of months ago complained in the media about James Child and he had not refffed a Wire game since then, ditto with McManus and Robert Hicks has not reffed a game with us since.

One of the reasons I like Kendall this year is that being an ex player he is fairly fit and quickly follows play and he seems to get in the right position this season to see and make decisions quickly. Other refs struggle and can't keep up with the speed of the game and allow those extra seconds to get a breather. Robert Hicks is a good ref but he seems to be out of position quite a few times this year and does a lot of guesswork the so called loose carry versus ball strip is one of his weaknesses.

Upside
    Non Members

But im struggling to understand your original point, you dont want the ref to intervene to stop something that stops the flow of the game, because it would stop the flow of the game? Players slowing the play the ball down kills the flow of the game and a referee intervening to stop this wouldn’t stop the flow of the game, surely it would speed it up?
    What's if the lying on continues? The ref blows his whistle to stamp authority and the players continue lying on, the ref has set a precedent and players know this so the ball carrier starts to appeal for a penalty more often, causing a fuss at the PTB has to result in another penalty. Holding up slows the play more than holding down, so the players have s greater impact on game speed than the ref, win the contact you don't get wrestled, saints did this very well against Wigan last week.

When people say keep the game flowing they mean they don't want the ref blowing all the time, so asking the ref to be critical at the PTB will have the affect of blowing the whistle more often, to me that's a contradiction.
    I do understand your point, blow early, set the standard, everyone adheres to the rules and the game is fast and clean, but in most cases I dont believe that happens. Think often it has the opposite affect than the intended one, I agree I wish it did work though

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It would seem Club Directors do have some influence Warrington couple of months ago complained in the media about James Child and he had not refffed a Wire game since then, ditto with McManus and Robert Hicks has not reffed a game with us since.

One of the reasons I like Kendall this year is that being an ex player he is fairly fit and quickly follows play and he seems to get in the right position this season to see and make decisions quickly. Other refs struggle and can't keep up with the speed of the game and allow those extra seconds to get a breather. Robert Hicks is a good ref but he seems to be out of position quite a few times this year and does a lot of guesswork the so called loose carry versus ball strip is one of his weaknesses.
    Shame it does have an influence, the rfl should pick from the pool based on ability, fitness, form etc.

By talking about them publically it puts them more in the spotlight and makes it harder for the ref, we have a small pool as it is.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I honestly could not care less. If we make 18 errors and lose any hint of attacking threat we will lose, just the same as the challenge cup.

If we go with good mind set. Hold the ball in our own half and ensure we pass the ball correctly we will fair much better.

Arrow

The weather will be an interesting factor. Hard to predict so many days in advance, but could be a wet pitch but no rain till late in the game.

Greasy ball conditions.

Learning All The Songs

On social media there have been a lot of adverse comments. 1) He's poor, some say the worst in the league 2) He favours Saints 3) He goes to the video ref for every decision. Even the most cursory of glances would show that these are all utter bollocks. How many times did he go to the Video ref in the Wigan game? That's right, none. Worse than Hicks or Child? And absolutely no evidence that he favours Saints.

IMO he has been by some distance the best ref in the comp this year and deserves the appointment

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Could you do us a favour?

Find out from Rob if Chris prefers jam, butter or both on his scones please pal?
    Think we should throw in clotted cream as it's a special occasion. As we all know it counts for more than the Challenge Cup.

Learning All The Songs

What's if the lying on continues? The ref blows his whistle to stamp authority and the players continue lying on, the ref has set a precedent and players know this so the ball carrier starts to appeal for a penalty more often, causing a fuss at the PTB has to result in another penalty. Holding up slows the play more than holding down, so the players have s greater impact on game speed than the ref, win the contact you don't get wrestled, saints did this very well against Wigan last week.

When people say keep the game flowing they mean they don't want the ref blowing all the time, so asking the ref to be critical at the PTB will have the affect of blowing the whistle more often, to me that's a contradiction.
    I do understand your point, blow early, set the standard, everyone adheres to the rules and the game is fast and clean, but in most cases I dont believe that happens. Think often it has the opposite affect than the intended one, I agree I wish it did work though
    Well if the players continue to lie on you escalate it, team warning, sin bin etc, for me the ref should be focusing more on the ptb area anyway, its the key to maintain a good speed to the game. Win the contact and you dont get wrestled is all well and good as you can get to the ground quickly but what if teams lie in there and slow you down, they take away the advantage you are trying to achieve.

I see the flow of the game with a 2 fold view, yes you do not want a referee blowing his whistle for every single minor indiscretion, ie a player being a foot offside, but if you have a team that come with a gameplan of cynically slowing the ptb down to the point where it stalls any momentum the attacking side are trying to build that for me also kills the flow of the game. There has been times this year where sides have turned up with the plan of we slow the play the ball down to the point of the game almost stands still, it doesn’t create a very good spectacle for the fans. I feel rugby games have a natural flow to them, centred around a decent ptb speed, if this is slowed down too much the flow goes out of the game and it begins to feel a bit like the NFL where plays are separated.

Upside
    Non Members

Well if the players continue to lie on you escalate it, team warning, sin bin etc, for me the ref should be focusing more on the ptb area anyway, its the key to maintain a good speed to the game. Win the contact and you dont get wrestled is all well and good as you can get to the ground quickly but what if teams lie in there and slow you down, they take away the advantage you are trying to achieve.

I see the flow of the game with a 2 fold view, yes you do not want a referee blowing his whistle for every single minor indiscretion, ie a player being a foot offside, but if you have a team that come with a gameplan of cynically slowing the ptb down to the point where it stalls any momentum the attacking side are trying to build that for me also kills the flow of the game. There has been times this year where sides have turned up with the plan of we slow the play the ball down to the point of the game almost stands still, it doesn’t create a very good spectacle for the fans. I feel rugby games have a natural flow to them, centred around a decent ptb speed, if this is slowed down too much the flow goes out of the game and it begins to feel a bit like the NFL where plays are separated.
    I cannot argue with your sentiments, I think we both want the same thing, I'm just not sure we agree entirely on the method to get there
    I feel the players have a greater affect on the game speed than the ref

Just one last thing to add, I think players throwing themselves on the floor before really being tackled can also kill the spectacle as it's not rugby, so there's a balance to be had, that's often when a ref allows a few more seconds, occasionally calling surrender which obviously the crowd don't hear

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    On social media there have been a lot of adverse comments. 1) He's poor, some say the worst in the league 2) He favours Saints 3) He goes to the video ref for every decision. Even the most cursory of glances would show that these are all utter bollocks. How many times did he go to the Video ref in the Wigan game? That's right, none. Worse than Hicks or Child? And absolutely no evidence that he favours Saints.

IMO he has been by some distance the best ref in the comp this year and deserves the appointment
    Not surprising given we have devoted an entire thread to him and most posters claiming its a good appointment.

Tends to feed the narrative, EM comments mean it's now open season for all fans to prejudge whether a ref will be more for or against them in a final.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post

I think it's simply perception, but I feel some say it enough times others tend to believe, as much as people claim to be have their own minds and opinion they are heavily influenced, social media can form an opinion for many

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Rod Studd has developed an issue with Saints. Here's what he put on Twitter:

"Anyone going to ask Mr Ganson + the RFL if Robert Hicks was ruled out due to Mr McManus’s post Challenge Cup Final outbursts? Anyone going to ask Mr McManus If he objected to Mr Hicks being considered for the role because of “perceptions of bias” ??"

I'm not on Twitter, but someone should explain that Hicks wasn't chosen because of the howlers he made in the CCF, which all favoured one side and undoubtedly had an impact on the game & result.

Banned

I think it's simply perception, but I feel some say it enough times others tend to believe, as much as people claim to be have their own minds and opinion they are heavily influenced, social media can form an opinion for many

Sounds like Brexit and the right-wing media propaganda over the years to blame the EU for all the country's ills.

Rod Studd should not be bringing Hicks into it. He's doing more harm to the bloke's mental health than any of the flak he got re Wembley would have done

He should just accept that the Rfl thought Kendall was the best appointment for the job rather than imply that there's some internal vendetta against Hicks

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Rod Studd should not be bringing Hicks into it. He's doing more harm to the bloke's mental health than any of the flak he got re Wembley would have done

He should just accept that the Rfl thought Kendall was the best appointment for the job rather than imply that there's some internal vendetta against Hicks
    Hes not said a word about Warrington refusing to have James Child referee them, just us because we had the audacity to out together a coherent argument about how Hicks refereed differently from how he usually does and should not have had the game in the first place. Just confirms my opinion of Rod, the bloke is an asshat.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    You just couldn’t make it up could you

As if things weren’t difficult enough for Salford as it is, up pop the RFL with a fourteenth man for saints
    Geez - can we just ban this troll?
    If not - don't rise to the Kid!

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Studd just wants a reaction , give his listeners something to jump on the landlines and empty thier little brain cells while he sits back and laughs his head off , show closed and he's earned his coin , the mans a clown.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Studd just wants a reaction , give his listeners something to jump on the landlines and empty thier little brain cells while he sits back and laughs his head off , show closed and he's earned his coin , the mans a clown.
    He ruined the SL Backchat programme. All he was interested in doing was shouting at Stevo, who himself was very good on that show.