Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Big city teams or small northern towns?

Learning All The Songs

Default Big city teams or small northern towns?

We’ve been obsessed with expansion since the debate twenty odd years ago about mergers and franchises. I read a website suggesting the development of Cumbria Lakers, Ireland, New York, and Cornwall. I live in Cornwall and it’s more likely that Cornwall will become capitol of Europe than a Super League force!

Will we see Toronto, New York, Chicago, Perth, Ireland, London, Barcelona all making up a league with Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Bradford, Hull and Manchester. It seems like total pie in the sky to me. Is it even desirable. I’m afraid I’m not sure what Ma Dermott is on about. Will Toronto strengthen our hand to negotiate TV deals? Will they develop the league and the game overall or not

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    We’ve been obsessed with expansion since the debate twenty odd years ago about mergers and franchises. I read a website suggesting the development of Cumbria Lakers, Ireland, New York, and Cornwall. I live in Cornwall and it’s more likely that Cornwall will become capitol of Europe than a Super League force!

Will we see Toronto, New York, Chicago, Perth, Ireland, London, Barcelona all making up a league with Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Bradford, Hull and Manchester. It seems like total pie in the sky to me. Is it even desirable. I’m afraid I’m not sure what Ma Dermott is on about. Will Toronto strengthen our hand to negotiate TV deals? Will they develop the league and the game overall or not
    lets hope so, they had a good deal with some Canadian tv company before they moved upto a higher league then as usual sky jumped in.

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

In The South Stand

What is more attractive to potential sponsors, a town of 15k that will generate next to 0 media interest or a city of millions that has already generated quite a lot of interest? I have no idea how Toronto will procede or how long they will be around, but people keep saying the game is dying, we've tried the same old teams over and over so maybe it's time for new teams,new owners and new markets.

I think as long as you are open minded but also diligent in terms of any new franchise proving their sustainability, then it’s fair game; the cream will always rise in any case

Learning All The Songs

Lets put this into context

Does Football suffer from:

Manchester teams playing small south coast towns such as Bournemouth or small districts of cities such as Tottenham, West Ham, Woolwich etc?

Why does Everton keep its name as a small region of a bigger city?

In The NRL are St George, Manly, Newcastle, Even Souths at any disadvantage to the clubs with big city names such as Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane even The Roosters who call themselves Sydney City.

The answer is no. There is no reason that the established clubs can't compete with the bigger cities. If (and it's a very big IF) RL takes off and the big international cities become a force and interest in the game expands, there is no reason why a club like Saints/Leeds/Hull can't tap into this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post

Manchester teams playing small south coast towns such as Bournemouth or small districts of cities such as Tottenham, West Ham, Woolwich etc?

In The NRL are St George, Manly, Newcastle, Even Souths at any disadvantage to the clubs with big city names such as Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane even The Roosters who call themselves Sydney City.

The answer is no. There is no reason that the established clubs can't compete with the bigger cities. If (and it's a very big IF) RL takes off and the big international cities become a force and interest in the game expands, there is no reason why a club like Saints/Leeds/Hull can't tap into this expansion.
    Are not Leeds/Hull big cities?

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Its the same old expansion argument that we will no doubt dominate the off season forum topics.

The ultimate Toronto aim has to be to create a Canadian/North American competive league with the hope of getting peolple playing the game over there. Same really as I feel Catalans should be doing in France to an extent. I hope Toronto succeed, I hope the logistics aren't too complicated and I hope to get over there myself next season but are they going to be playing in Superleague in 10/15 years time? I just can't see that.

Re McDermott what does he want doing? Theres been a team in London for 40 years that has done next to nothing in that time. Newcastle and Coventry seem to be well run community clubs but are no where near ready to make the step up and probably don't meet his "big city" criteria but appear to be building the right way. Same with York. Swinton tried to tag onto Manchester and failed. It can't be helped that the games strength and heartlands is in the North of England.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Those examples are teams that play in the same country and have been playing each other in some form for a good while. It is a completely different argument when it’s big cities in one country and towns in another, that are completely alien to one another in terms of sporting and national culture.

Learning All The Songs

The original concept behind the formation of the European Super League in 1996 was to include big city teams like Barcelona.