Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat cap or expansion day

Got A Season Ticket

Default Flat cap or expansion day

Ten years ago I moved to Canada and left The redvee and rugby league behind. Having to watch on dodgy feeds and the radio. There year ago the Toronto Wolfpack were born and I just thought here we go again, another Paris, Newcastle or Wales. I just didn’t take it seriously and thought that this Wolfpack thing was a gimmick that would fall flat on their face within months. I never attended a game that year although I did watch a few on TV. They got promoted and I started to get an interest. I then attended a game and took my family. My 6 year old got asked to hold a flag before the game and then was involved in a halftime event. My wife accustomed herself to the beer garden, I enjoyed the rugby and the family wanted to keep going back. Fast forward to this season it was probably a great thing that they lost to London in the mpg last year as the event of the game day experience has just got better and better. The Canadians are interested in this. This year has seen a number of junior clubs set up and I was part of the first Canadian Masters team that played a touring team from London. The Masters group is becoming two teams next year and plans are afoot for more.
    Today I woke up at 4.30am and couldn’t think of anything but today’s game. I’ve seen the growth and the the determination of the club to succeed and whilst it’s one guy funding this right now it is possible that this could work. I hope they win today so I get to watch Super League again and to get to see the redvee over here is something I have dreamt about for the past 18 months.
    This could just work you know.......

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I've no problem with expansion or taking the game overseas to new places, but I do think that this one is a basket case! They're just too far away from the rest of our domestic leagues for it to be sustainable.
    I also think that the local Canadian fans may start to lose interest if results start going against them.
    I'm intending to go if they do reach SL, but I doubt if it will become an annual trip as it is for me to Catalans.
    A mate pointed out that we could be playing them twice away next season with the loop thing, assuming that the fixtures aren't taken on the road. Can't see many going to both.
    Sorry to be negative, but that's how I see it.

Nothing to do with philosophies , would like to see fev win because they have done a salford.

Kept their heads down and continued to knock off bigger scalps.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Nothing to do with philosophies , would like to see fev win because they have done a salford.

Kept their heads down and continued to knock off bigger scalps.
    Pity they cant bring up a couple of props from the old pit

Banned

I've just been thinking about tonight's game actually and trying to find a reason for Fev to win. Not out of any malice to Toronto, I'm not a huge fan of them but they are where they are on merit, and no shortage of cash either which you can only say fair play to the owners. As far as spreading the RL gospel goes I think North America is a huge market, you only need to look at way football has expanded over the last 10 years to see there's a market for proper sports.
    It would be great to think that in 20 years time there would be a NA league, along with the NRL, a strong British game, an improved French structure and then who knows? In reality though I don't think anyone within world RL has the brains or the cash for such expansion.

In fact thinking about it, I hope Toronto win as I'd much prefer a trip there than some backward Yorkshire tip. And I'll be booking it as soon as the fixtures are announced. I might even do a trip, Angry Dave tours - A trip too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    ... And I'll be booking it as soon as the fixtures are announced. I might even do a trip, Angry Dave tours - A trip too far.
    My worry is that we'll all book something, then they'll take the game on the road to somewhere like Coventry!
    Last edited by KentishBarry; 5th October 2019 at 13:32. Reason: typo

Got A Season Ticket

Typically they only play 10 games in Canada. (Not including the playoffs)The talk here is that they will play 4 on the road. Dublin and Barcelona being two of them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    My worry is that we'll all book something, them they'll take the game on the road to somewhere like Coventry!
    I wouldn't be best pleased about that, hopefully a few of the tight arse Yorkie clubs put their hands up for those games although I think all SL teams should be made to play there 1. In terms of expansion and 2. Fairness. It's about time some clubs stopped pleading poverty all the time.

I’ve no idea whether Toronto getting promoted could be the start of an upturn for rugby league but pretty certain that Featherstone in Super League won’t be seen as a big attraction to investors/sponsors. Brian Noble has said that the opportunity for sport in N America is almost beyond belief, pointing out that the Blue Jays top pitcher earns more annually than the combined salary cap for all 12 Super League teams.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I’ve no idea whether Toronto getting promoted could be the start of an upturn for rugby league but pretty certain that Featherstone in Super League won’t be seen as a big attraction to investors/sponsors. Brian Noble has said that the opportunity for sport in N America is almost beyond belief, pointing out that the Blue Jays top pitcher earns more annually than the combined salary cap for all 12 Super League teams.

Yes thee figures are astonishing, even 1% of the sports enconomy in North America would probably swamp what money we currently have in the game

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    The Blue Jays top pitcher earns more annually than the combined salary cap for all 12 Super League teams.
    Not true. Closest you can get is 3B Josh Donaldson who had a 1 year $23m contract in 2018. The top paid pitchers in the league do take home more than $30m annually though (as do the highest paid European footballers).

Got A Replica Shirt

Brian McDermott states in todays press that if Toronto misses out on promotion it will show that the system is flawed. He says “It’s a flawed system. If Featherstone win, it’s the fifth best team getting in”.

I wonder if it’s the same flaw that saw Leeds win the 2011 and 2012 Grand Finals, finishing fifth on both occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    Brian McDermott states in todays press that if Toronto misses out on promotion it will show that the system is flawed. He says “It’s a flawed system. If Featherstone win, it’s the fifth best team getting in”.

I wonder if it’s the same flaw that saw Leeds win the 2011 and 2012 Grand Finals, finishing fifth on both occasions.
    Definately want Fev to win now.

My worry is that we'll all book something, then they'll take the game on the road to somewhere like Coventry!
    If the loop fixtues follow the same format , and I believe they will, it will be Toronto away twice!!

Im just going to sit back and enjoy the game. Featherstone have been superb last few weeks and if they do win it will be a magnificent achievement for a part time outfit.
    Fev was never a nice place to go to be honest ( that away game during the miners strike will never be forgotten!)and cannot say I would be devastated if they miss out!
    Toronto have clearly invested significant sums into the sport with no central funding. If succesful they can only add some much needed kudos to the competition.

May the best team win.

Learning All The Songs

In Toronto’s case I find it hard to see how a team so far away can really make much contribution to SL growth. I pity the team that has two away games there as a consequence of loop fixtures. I lived in West Yorkshire for a while and often watched Fev. Too small to impact SL in my view. I would prefer to see York, Bradford and Toulouse in the running but that’s not where we are.

May the best team win tonight. After that I hope SL announces an increase to 14 teams and we ban loop fixtures. Then let them both in.

Next year one up one down. I would expect, under those circumstances to see Featherstone down and possibly Toulouse promoted. Maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    If the loop fixtures follow the same format , and I believe they will, it will be Toronto away twice!! ...
    Yes, I know, and in theory we could end up playing them four times away.
    Twice with the loops, a CC away draw, and an away playoffs. Unlikely but not impossible.
    Bonkers!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Fev for me, its just too extreme having to play a domestic competition over 2 continents, as posters have already mentioned if we have loop fixtures with Toronto and the magic weekend the comp is off balance.

If the loop fixtues follow the same format , and I believe they will, it will be Toronto away twice!!

Im just going to sit back and enjoy the game. Featherstone have been superb last few weeks and if they do win it will be a magnificent achievement for a part time outfit.
    Fev was never a nice place to go to be honest ( that away game during the miners strike will never be forgotten!)and cannot say I would be devastated if they miss out!
    Toronto have clearly invested significant sums into the sport with no central funding. If succesful they can only add some much needed kudos to the competition.

May the best team win.
    Understand.

The miners strike is a long time ago back in the times where HullKR coming to town was a bit like the wild west. Things change.

Fev own their own ground and are well run.

Toronto have thrown some money in and offer something clearly but where will that money be spent.
    If their investment just means 11 SL clubs all get an extra £120K to waste then does it take the sport forward.

Not bagging Toronto more the RFL and SL on how they would use this opportunity.

The RFL and SL don't want Toronto but Fev getting in is a worse senario for them.

Yes, I know, and in theory we could end up playing them four times away.
    Twice with the loops, a CC away draw, and an away playoffs. Unlikely but not impossible.
    Bonkers!

Whilst they will be in the CC they are not allowed to play at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Understand.

The miners strike is a long time ago back in the times where HullKR coming to town was a bit like the wild west. Things change.

They do and I accept that.

That said Featherstone have had trouble with crowd behavouir this season so maybe not that much eh?

I already said if they make it then it will be well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    In Toronto’s case I find it hard to see how a team so far away can really make much contribution to SL growth. I pity the team that has two away games there as a consequence of loop fixtures. I lived in West Yorkshire for a while and often watched Fev. Too small to impact SL in my view. I would prefer to see York, Bradford and Toulouse in the running but that’s not where we are.

May the best team win tonight. After that I hope SL announces an increase to 14 teams and we ban loop fixtures. Then let them both in.

Next year one up one down. I would expect, under those circumstances to see Featherstone down and possibly Toulouse promoted. Maybe!

The Toronto growth will come from increased exposure and publicity and potentially a wider TV audeience. Nobody is expecting them to bring 000's of fans to Europe every orher week. Its a bigger picture thing.

Im not arguing the case for or against by the way but that is the angle they can add value for me.

Im in the camp of loooking after your back yard but to a large degree that seems to have gone west with the authorities.

If I’m not mistaken, Toronto won’t be entitled to a share of the Sky money so that will more than compensate each club for any lack of away fans

Learning All The Songs

The Toronto growth will come from increased exposure and publicity and potentially a wider TV audeience. Nobody is expecting them to bring 000's of fans to Europe every orher week. Its a bigger picture thing.

Im not arguing the case for or against by the way but that is the angle they can add value for me.

Im in the camp of loooking after your back yard but to a large degree that seems to have gone west with the authorities.
    Yes I think that’s a fair point but I think it will be a novelty thing that will soon wear off. I do really think that any long term development will come out of it

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Toronto for me. The thought of another trip to a crappy little yarkshire town is too much for me. Oh and I want to see it given a go in Canada.
    Learned comment from The Don

Enjoying this, I would love the Colliers to get through but it's going to be a slog, great game.