Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Final .

Noooobie

echo the thoughts of all in last 15 of first half was getting worried just thankful we got the score after the break which seemed to settle us down and in fairness controlled the entire second half really. Superb result to cap off a great season well deserved.

Also was my first grand final, been a saints fan 25 years but from scotland so only starting to see them more regular with living in manchester these days. Was sitting behind goal in our end good to meet and chat to fellow saints fans and enjoy the day

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    They've played hard all week at TWS Belgian, full games against the 19s kicking off at 6pm with the sprinklers on , didn't want go highlight this on redvee cause players and coaches DO look on redvee , pass and catch in the damp , exactly the way we would train under Anderson , and so much more , ths lads are ready , it's just started raining in st Helen's, be damp and wet so what happens at old Trafford.
    Thanks Roy. I was going to come on today and ask you what different training they had done, I didn't ask before the game for precisely the reasons you have given.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    The running on the last was a clear tactic from very early on, I noticed it within the first five minutes or so

Worked brilliantly- better them trying to go 95 metres with 6 tackles than 80 with 7 tackles

Sat with a load of neutrals who supported Salford and none of them had any issues with the ref, he got nearly everything right
    Spot on retro, by my view it was twice on Evalds & once on Hastings. On one restart a commentator mentioned Dudson bringing it in at Fages, never have I been so happy with a teams tactic, not much gets passed Theo. Only part of his game not very good is his kicking and that is improving.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Congratulations on being championes, well deserved and well earned.
    RD

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thought Zeb Tai played very well got through a lot of work, on a negative note Paulo didn,t look too happy with Holbrook.
    Yes Taia was awesome.

As was everyone, it’s difficult to single a few out because they all deserve to be up there.
    I missed the Paulo/Holbrook, what happened? Was it on TV?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Yes Taia was awesome.

As was everyone, it’s difficult to single a few out because they all deserve to be up there.
    I missed the Paulo/Holbrook, what happened? Was it on TV?
    Holbrook went over to Paulo to congratulate him but got a cold response, the other lads in Richardson, Bentley and Costello were ecstatic and jumping up and down, Paulo didn't react the same way maybe he perked up later I don't know.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

28 points conceded (in five games) since the Wembley debacle.. as good as our attack is, our defence at the business end of the season has been excellent

Holbrook went over to Paulo to congratulate him but got a cold response, the other lads in Richardson, Bentley and Costello were ecstatic and jumping up and down, Paulo didn't react the same way maybe he perked up later I don't know.
    He should be annoyed at missing a final. I'd rather him be frustrated rather than chatting on the phone to someone as Richardson was (not that that bothers me too much). Also Bentley, Richardson and Costello are young lads, Paulos at bit older and had his kids with him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Really over the moon with this win .It was superb that JH signed off with the grand final trophy . A bit negative maybe but would not mind if Paulo decides to return to Oz .
    I think the word you're looking for is ecstatic!

Starting A Programme Collection

Obviously didn't notice it at the match but watching again on television Paulo looked very down at not playing, understandably, a highly paid player coming from the other side of the world and not playing well enough, he will just have to improve or either ask to go, citing the usual homesick, family issues etc.and free up the salary cap, but he should have at least pretended to be happy for his team mates. Great result, and I see that Watson says he has no issues with any of the referees decisions, I honestly think we might have had the rub of the green on a couple for once but it certainly didn't effect the result. The only problem now is playing the Roosters, with due respect to Salford and the rest they are a different proposition!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

It was great to see that Matty Lees was able to jump up and down. Paulo just looked a miserable pr**k.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Yes, spot on. They did a great job on Lomax. I want him to at some point give a HS/LT-winning performance - for himself more than anything, because his skills and his warrior instinct are amazing.

As for Fages' crucial cover tackling, I did indeed spot them. His reading of the game has improved massively this season, and he was positioning to snuff out a threat after spotting a potential danger.
    I'm just rewatching it now and I know what you're saying about Lomax but it's still a good performance. 1. Because still didn't make any notable mistakes and 2. Him being a marked man creates space for others. In all honesty it wasn't a stunning game, just a good, disciplined, hard fought win but a win that was reasonably comfortable seeing it without all the emotion of last night. We got our tactics spot on and executed them well.
    I've read a few times the referee was poor although that's mainly been from the likes of Wire and Leeds fans with a chip on their shoulder, I'm not buying that for a minute, aside from that Dudson call on our line with the score at 20-6 which was a penalty I can't see what they're on about, either way, they wasn't going to win it from there so hardly a game changing incident.
    I'd just like to add what a sad, bitter man Phil Clarke is, him and the rest of the Sky team (Jenna aside) are an absolute shambles.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 13th October 2019 at 09:22. Reason: RD needing adult nappies

Default The Grand Final .

Hats off to the boys. After all the aspersions being cast over their big game temperament (by me as much as anyone else) they turned in an exemplary big game performance last night. Our attack might have been a bit clunky at times, but our discipline with and without the ball was exceptional.

Standout players for me:

Coote - had a couple of wobbles in attack but was rock solid at the back. His kicking game was superb as well - two or three of those kicks against the grain split the winger and full back.

Thompson - unreal. Just played till his leg fell off.

Taia - his best performance for Saints? Immense work-rate and a real physical menace on that edge.

Percy - obviously the try was key, but he was massive in those sets where Salford has us on the back foot. In fact, the same could be said of our whole three-quarter line.

Plenty more good performances, too. Happy days.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Paulo just looked a miserable pr**k.
    No need for that IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I thought we did a good job in the end. Was getting a bit twitchy at the end of the first half but the Percival try was a big one and I thought our discipline was much better.

Some brilliant performances. Thompson was brilliant, Coote showed everything that we wanted from him when he signed, Percival also had a good game I thought. Zeb Taia too.

Watching from the side last night I’ll give a shout out to Theo Fages. Some of his defence was exceptional. Also for a lad who’s playing in his first full season at 7, to organise a team and show the confidence he did last night is really promising. He’s going to be a big player for us for a while IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

I am going to recall Thompsons performance last night on my death bed

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    No need for that IMO.
    I know if you follow him on Instagram he made a post on world mental health day that's worth a watch. He might not have made the team back end of the season (and rightly so) but they're real people who deserve better than that. Especially after a GF win.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I thought we did a good job in the end. Was getting a bit twitchy at the end of the first half but the Percival try was a big one and I thought our discipline was much better.

Some brilliant performances. Thompson was brilliant, Coote showed everything that we wanted from him when he signed, Percival also had a good game I thought. Zeb Taia too.

Watching from the side last night I’ll give a shout out to Theo Fages. Some of his defence was exceptional. Also for a lad who’s playing in his first full season at 7, to organise a team and show the confidence he did last night is really promising. He’s going to be a big player for us for a while IMO.
    The only time Salford looked like scoring was when they played off the cuff. They had loads of joy before HT then just went back to playing the same as when we went 12 up. When they did that we turned the screw and I knew it was game over. That was a special day yesterday, hope you all had a good one

[QUOTE=Webbo Again;778588]First 25 mins we dominated, but they got over the line on their first foray into our 20 (Lolohea going for a new record of how many times he can break the obstruction rule in one run) and that seemed to give them belief and they started running good lines and getting offloads going. At 12-6, I was getting nightmare deja vu, and Salford came out in the 2nd half firing. Percival's try came at the ideal time (was it the first time we'd been within their 20 in that half?), and after that we seemed to grow in confidence to manage the game out. There was 10.46 remaining when I looked at the clock and felt able to begin relaxing.

I picked out Thompson as MoM a few mins before the announcement. He was and is immense. Thought Makinson & Fages were also superb, but there were no bad performances - although I thought Roby looked out of sorts, Lomax again failed to shine in a big game as the supreme player he is, and Coote, while faultless, contributed much less in attack
    Last edited by notawiginfan; 13th October 2019 at 10:55. Reason: Error

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Must admit I've had a terrible week, barely slept and was so nervous about the final that I didn't enjoy any of the build up in the week. I made myself take a look around on the way to the ground, you just never know when or if you'll go back. When the game started we were so on top. The pack were making easy yards and in the first 20 we were thoroughly dominant, but our attack was so wayward. When Coote threw the ball into the crowd on the 1st or 2nd tackle I'll admit I was sick of life. It was just Wembley repeating itself. Salford looked so dangerous whenever they got close to our line in the first half. Our defending wasn't that great when Loloheia had his try correctly ruled out and it was worse when Bibby scored. I felt at half time it was next try winner. If they'd got it they would have been on the crest of a wave, but like the start of the first half we just bossed things. It was over when Percy scored and I could finally relax a little and savour it. It wasn't pretty but we were dominant and stopping Salford getting field position was crucial as they would have scored points. It wasn't pretty but it was the perfect Grand Final performance. Dare I say it, it was Leeds-esque in it's efficiency.

Despite it not being a classic performance and our attack being slightly off, there were so many who deserve recognition. Coote was flawless, Makinson and Grace did the ugly stuff so well and along with Percy and Big Kev allow the pack to dominate by reducing their workload. Fages came up with so many crucial tackles, he was everywhere tonight in defense. J-Lo was well watched but battled well, Roby like a fine wine just purring, his play for Taia's try just sublime. The two big men, Al and Thommo were incredible. Taia came up with arguably his best performance for Saints tonight, none of the showy stuff, just incredibly workrate, Peyroux the same. What can be said about Morgan Knowles? I'm not sure I've ever loved a player more than him, he's sensational. Ashworth did well, loved his aggression and LMS was great too. Kyle Amor probably deserves a mention. He was a player who could easily have traded places at Leigh with Luke Douglas. I'm sure not many would have questioned that decision had it been made. But he refused to be pushed out and he knuckled down and worked harder. And it paid off for him, proving his worth to Justin and thoroughly earning that shirt. As good a redemption story as Jackson Hastings and Salford.

Don't know what I was so worried about. I should have more faith, the boys deserve it. (We'll do well to avoid getting relegated next season with Woolfe in charge and no new signings )
    Talk about long winded

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Saints played oh so well , really made up with thier handling not one knock on , (LMS was a play the ball) , and just 2 penalties , with control at that level = is how you win games.
    You were spot on about the training Roy. As you say, not one dropped ball and the players were fit as fiddles and raring to go from the off. The set piece try from the scrum was brilliant as was the bit of individual flair shown in Percival’s in goal grubber and try - all topped off with Tommy’s drop goal. Interesting to learn that he’d been practising drop goals from that distance obviously to take the opportunity to take the opposition by surprise in a close game or golden point.

Justin Holbrook has been a breath of fresh air. From this distance he appears to be a real gent who has worked hard to make the team part of the community and to entitle them to be called the entertainers again.

All in all a brilliant victory against a team that too many were willing to write off and yet proved to be our most dangerous opponents in the end. I hope Salford put at least 1,000 on their gate next season. They deserve it after this year’s performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    yes , but says a lot when an overseas can't even get into the 17. He might be one who is not upset at Holbrook leaving
    As Justin was the one who identified him as an addition to the squad, Paulo only has himself to blame for ineffective performances.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    As Justin was the one who identified him as an addition to the squad, Paulo only has himself to blame for ineffective performances.
    I wouldn't even go as deep as that. Holbrook wanted Smith as cover for hooker, Amor, LMS and Ashworth are all props and 2 can cover 2nd row if needed. Paulo (in theory) is more of a ball playing forward. I think his omission was purely tactical.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I wouldn't even go as deep as that. Holbrook wanted Smith as cover for hooker, Amor, LMS and Ashworth are all props and 2 can cover 2nd row if needed. Paulo (in theory) is more of a ball playing forward. I think his omission was purely tactical.

Aye, nothing to do with him being rubbish for most of the season.

Absolutely amazing day and a cracking feeling being champions again. Thought Thommo was absolutely out of this world, 70 minutes of hard graft! What a guy.

Percy was brill, Coote was his cool and excellent self and thought Taia had a good running game. Shout out to Theo in defence too who was phenomenal.