Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grand Final .

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Chris Kendal to ref the Toronto game , which for me rules him out of the grand final slot , it's an absolute certainty now that Hicks has got the grand final .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Chris Kendal to ref the Toronto game , which for me rules him out of the grand final slot , it's an absolute certainty now that Hicks has got the grand final .
    Don’t reckon he’ll get both finals. Thaler for me.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Don’t reckon he’ll get both finals. Thaler for me.
    I'll take Thaler anytime over Hicks.

In The South Stand

It would be an admirable trolling effort from Ganson and the RFL to appoint Hicks for the Grand Final - and I wouldn’t be overly suprised If they did it! However, Hicks hasn’t reffed a game for weeks - and Thaler and Kendall have been the 2 used in the play offs so it will surely be Thaler at Old Trafford.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    It would be an admirable trolling effort from Ganson and the RFL to appoint Hicks for the Grand Final - and I wouldn’t be overly suprised If they did it! However, Hicks hasn’t reffed a game for weeks - and Thaler and Kendall have been the 2 used in the play offs so it will surely be Thaler at Old Trafford.
    Maybe his Wembley mistake and Eamon’s comments have contributed to his downgrading then?

Learning All The Songs

If it is Hicks then it would be typical RL - rewarding failure and poor performance.

Learning All The Songs

It should be Kendall for me, hes been the best ref all year and deserves the Grand Final, if it is not him, the next best is Thaler. Knowing the RFL we will end up with Hicks who will be terrible as always, he will make poor decisions and be unable to manage the game. I can see Eamonn really kicking off if we end up getting Hicks after his shambolic performance at Wembley and if he does i will back him completely.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    It should be Kendall for me, hes been the best ref all year and deserves the Grand Final, if it is not him, the next best is Thaler. Knowing the RFL we will end up with Hicks who will be terrible as always, he will make poor decisions and be unable to manage the game. I can see Eamonn really kicking off if we end up getting Hicks after his shambolic performance at Wembley and if he does i will back him completely.
    Me too, and he deserves abusing from the first minute to the last if he somehow ends with the final.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Me too, and he deserves abusing from the first minute to the last if he somehow ends with the final.
    Or maybe just mess with his head? Polite applause and an ironic cheer when he takes our first try to the VR?

Learning All The Songs

If it is rent-a-whistle Hicks. I hope Eamon make his representations to the powers that be, before the match but in private.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Or maybe just mess with his head? Polite applause and an ironic cheer when he takes our first try to the VR?
    Bollocks to him, slaughter him for everything and then crucify him in the press if (when) he makes a mistake.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I hope it’s Kendall. By far the best referee there is and he deserves it.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Surely the RFL must understand the level of ill will saints as a club and saints fans have towards Robert Hicks. He is a focal point of what went wrong in the Challenge Cup final, did we play well enough to win it, no, but it doesnt change the fact his officiating in the final was not good enough for the level he is meant to officiate at. He is arrogant yet incompetent, a really bad mix to be because he makes glaringly obvious mistakes yet doesnt learn from them.

I think we need to concentrate on our own performance. If we play to our capability the referee should be quite irrelevant.
    99% of the time the best team wins. Referess always have and always will make mistakes.
    Hicks made a massive blunder at Wembley and the game mayhave panned out quite differently had a try been awarded early however, had we not subsequently made so many unforced errors of own own we woud have still pulled it round.
    Play like we did last weekend and the I am sure that no one will mention the officials.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    If it is rent-a-whistle Hicks. I hope Eamon make his representations to the powers that be, before the match but in private.
    A case in point is that since the Warrington criticism in the Catalan game James Child had not reffed a Wire game for their remaining season.

Either Kendal or Thaler , with the prior for me , at least we will get 10 mtrs which will allow an expansive game . As I've said from day one with Hicks , he isn't upto it he gets dominated by the bigger teams , and just loves to be "mates" with the players , just no time for him whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I think we need to concentrate on our own performance. If we play to our capability the referee should be quite irrelevant.
    99% of the time the best team wins. Referess always have and always will make mistakes.
    Hicks made a massive blunder at Wembley and the game mayhave panned out quite differently had a try been awarded early however, had we not subsequently made so many unforced errors of own own we woud have still pulled it round.
    Play like we did last weekend and the I am sure that no one will mention the officials.
    Amen. Great post.

Learning All The Songs

I dont think anyone is saying we didnt play well enough to win at Wembley, i think its accepted we were incredibly poor, what i have issue with is 1. Hicks should never have had the game, given what had gone on with Warrington. And 2. He refereed very differently to how he usually does, he goes to the screen for pretty much everything. That is where the ill feeling is coming from for me, i know i have had a bee in my bonnet about officiating but things like Hicks at Wembley do nothing but reinforce my view that the officials in the vast majority are not good enough for the standard of rugby being played.

Upside
    Non Members

Hicks made a massive blunder at Wembley and the game may have panned out quite differently had a try been awarded early however, had we not subsequently made so many unforced errors of own own we woud have still pulled it round.

Agreed, you put things across far better me. Great post

Learning All The Songs

Either Kendal or Thaler , with the prior for me , at least we will get 10 mtrs which will allow an expansive game . As I've said from day one with Hicks , he isn't upto it he gets dominated by the bigger teams , and just loves to be "mates" with the players , just no time for him whatsoever.
    Has Hicks ever refereed a game you have played in Roy?

Learning All The Songs

The rules are different in the play offs, it's only 9m rather than 10. In fairness referees have been pretty consistent with it but the last few games have been quite different to the regular season in terms of how the defensive line has been policed

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I would prefer either of those two, but appointing Hicks could be the RFL's response to Eamonn's criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I hope it’s Kendall. By far the best referee there is and he deserves it.
    He's a very good referee. I think he deserves the final.

Thaler did have a decent game on Friday but not overly keen on him.

Be better than Hicks though. Terrible ref as the Wembley debacle proved

I dont think anyone is saying we didnt play well enough to win at Wembley, i think its accepted we were incredibly poor, what i have issue with is 1. Hicks should never have had the game, given what had gone on with Warrington. And 2. He refereed very differently to how he usually does, he goes to the screen for pretty much everything. That is where the ill feeling is coming from for me, i know i have had a bee in my bonnet about officiating but things like Hicks at Wembley do nothing but reinforce my view that the officials in the vast majority are not good enough for the standard of rugby being played.
    Agree with every word. Great post

That's 2 finals now ruined by refereeing decisions, so please don't tell me that the "ref" cannot have an influence on the game , it stinks.