Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grand Final .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

To be fair to Schofield I don't think he's anti Saints by any stretch, he's just giving his prediction..

He did say he'd face an over to Jofra Archer if we lost at Wembley!

I'm glad Salford have reached the final, Wembley build up was all about how great this St Helens team is, this week has been about how it's such an underdog story, Saints haven't got a mention..

Not to mention this week will be completely alien to a lot of Salford players, half our squad have played in a grand final, either here or in Australia, pretty much all of the squad played at Wembley, so they'll have at least an understanding of the media duties..

Hopefully that'll work to our advantage

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    To be fair to Schofield I don't think he's anti Saints by any stretch, he's just giving his prediction..

I'm glad Salford have reached the final, Wembley build up was all about how great this St Helens team is, this week has been about how it's such an underdog story, Saints haven't got a mention..

Not to mention this week will be completely alien to a lot of Salford players, half our squad have played in a grand final, either here or in Australia, pretty much all of the squad played at Wembley, so they'll have at least an understanding of the media duties..

Yeah, I thought the same. We have completely flew under the radar this week with Salford getting there. If Wigan had got there, the talk would be more about Saints' dominance in the league and the fairytale finish for Holbrook, but that has been completely overshadowed by Salford, which I'm fine with.

In my preview I've gone for Saints by 12, I'm confident we'll get the job done especially after losing at Wembley which has re-focussed the squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Yeah, I thought the same. We have completely flew under the radar this week with Salford getting there. If Wigan had got there, the talk would be more about Saints' dominance in the league and the fairytale finish for Holbrook, but that has been completely overshadowed by Salford, which I'm fine with.

In my preview I've gone for Saints by 12, I'm confident we'll get the job done especially after losing at Wembley which has re-focussed the squad.
    Watching Holbrook's video on Saints website, I don;t remember us having a coach as focussed as he seems to be. If that focus goes through the squad, then we should be OK.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

Schofield is an exceptional cricketer , played in the same team as him up on "ilkley moor" , a charity match with ex players ect against TV stars mostly fro Emmerdale and Coronation St , he was superb even after 5 pints of Guinness. I was when fielding in the slips with Nobby , Roy Powell bowled a screamer and I missed the catch , Schoey did his nut lol , anyway I ended up on the boundary at long on , the TV lot needed 4 to win , anyway the lad bowled and the ball came down with snow on it Rodger Millward was at long off and shouted "take it Roy" which I did , and the place erupted Foxy , Rodger , Schoey were like kids on xmas day , anyway we all ended up in the bar with myself on freebies . Anyway back to Schoey he scored about 50 with the bat and took about 6 wickets , Schoey can really play. Sorry about the "anyways" , but just brought back great memories.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

Weather forecast looks decent all day (https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6691246)

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Weather forecast looks decent all day (https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6691246)
    Should favour us hopefully

Got A Replica Shirt

Super League website “Combined Saints/Salford” team, take Bibby over Percy, Hastings over Fages, Dudson over Walmsley, Jones over Taia… mmm

https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...-combined-xiii

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaygee View Post
    Super League website “Combined Saints/Salford” team, take Bibby over Percy, Hastings over Fages, Dudson over Walmsley, Jones over Taia… mmm

Well it pretty much has to be otherwise it would be a non-read for most people as it would just be the Saints starting 13.
    To add, I actually agree with Jones over Taia and Hastings over Fages.

Got A Replica Shirt

You have to read it to see what it say. Totally agrre with Hastings and Jones,wish we had 'em

I probably would have had Hastings and Jones in myself.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I hope Walmsley makes a mental note of that with Dudson, the last time that kind of pre match scenario panned out it was Watts and Walmsley flattened and stampeded all over him, same goes for Percival.

Walmsley: 90 Tackle Busts 5 Clean Breaks. 32 Missed Tackles. 8 Penalties. 2728 metres. 30 offloads. ....................over 22 games

Dudson: 17 Tackle Busts. 2 Clean Breaks. 61 Missed Tackles. 20 Penalties. 2063 metres. 7 offloads. ....................over 26 games
    Last edited by STIDDY; 11th October 2019 at 09:12.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Schofield is an exceptional cricketer , played in the same team as him up on "ilkley moor" , a charity match with ex players ect against TV stars mostly fro Emmerdale and Coronation St , he was superb even after 5 pints of Guinness. I was when fielding in the slips with Nobby , Roy Powell bowled a screamer and I missed the catch , Schoey did his nut lol , anyway I ended up on the boundary at long on , the TV lot needed 4 to win , anyway the lad bowled and the ball came down with snow on it Rodger Millward was at long off and shouted "take it Roy" which I did , and the place erupted Foxy , Rodger , Schoey were like kids on xmas day , anyway we all ended up in the bar with myself on freebies . Anyway back to Schoey he scored about 50 with the bat and took about 6 wickets , Schoey can really play. Sorry about the "anyways" , but just brought back great memories.
    great story.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I hope Walmsley makes a mental note of that with Dudson, the last time that kind of pre match scenario panned out it was Watts and Walmsley flattened and stampeded all over him, same goes for Percival.

Walmsley: 90 Tackle Busts 5 Clean Breaks. 32 Missed Tackles. 8 Penalties. 2728 metres. 30 offloads. ....................over 22 games

Dudson: 17 Tackle Busts. 2 Clean Breaks. 61 Missed Tackles. 20 Penalties. 2063 metres. 7 offloads. ....................over 26 games
    They had to throw a few of them in but not those 2, pretty poor article to be honest.

Ok I get the romantic story that is Salford. But if you were to go on to most mainstream RL media in the last week you would struggle to work out that Saints are even playing in this final. Even the RL journalists appear to have decided Salford will win and Saints are just playing to allow the romance to be fulfilled.
    Hastings is the best player ever to have taken a RL pitch!
    Josh Jones.. GF ring and a wedding to follow what’s not to like!
    Watson.. Best coach ever.
    I could go on.
    We may as well not bother going I guess.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Happy Grand Final Eve everyone.

Will be watching the first half then keeping an eye on score as its my nans 75th birthday and plans had already been made.

Still nervous/excited though !

COYS!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Ok I get the romantic story that is Salford. But if you were to go on to most mainstream RL media in the last week you would struggle to work out that Saints are even playing in this final. Even the RL journalists appear to have decided Salford will win and Saints are just playing to allow the romance to be fulfilled.
    Hastings is the best player ever to have taken a RL pitch!
    Josh Jones.. GF ring and a wedding to follow what’s not to like!
    Watson.. Best coach ever.
    I could go on.
    We may as well not bother going I guess.
    Let them crack on with it. As long as the ref doesn't fall for that nonsense we'll be fine IMO.

Must admit though, the nerves are starting to build here, I've felt a bit more in love with the game lately and I'm buzzing for tomorrow. I'm going to have to get in the gym and try to tire myself out or no chance I'll sleep tonight. May have to have a few medicinal rums tonight watching England.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Heard it all now lol.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

After reading that rubbish I hope we put 50 on them and make them look stupid.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    After reading that rubbish I hope we put 50 on them and make them look stupid.
    I think Saints will win by 20+. No doubt Salford have done amazingly well to reach the final but let's not forget they lost the first playoff game to a poor Wigan side. Cas offered nothing in the way of attack and neither did Wigan in the last game. Their defence has not been tested really.

Knowles will be up on Hastings all game and our defence in general is up far quicker than any team they have faced in the playoffs.

Quite relaxed about it all. All due respect to Salford and their coach and I genuinely hope they get better support next season, I can't see us losing. We cut out the mistakes, we win. Lesson learned and inwardly digested from Wembley, defence will be key. No score predictions because Salford don't deserve that. All I will say is that I'm confident of victory.

Hope our squad read this.

I must admit that I’ve not been nervous at all about this game unlike in the week leading up to the Challenge Cup final. Perhaps there was too much focus on whether Austin would be fit for the game and we allowed ourselves to relax too much when we found out that he was missing. This time round there have been no such distractions while the lessons learnt in losing at Wembley will be a big aid in concentrating on strangling the life out of Salford for a full 80 minutes. I’m also not bothered about the weather as we beat Salford easily in February showing that we could manage a game well in very wet conditions.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I wouldn't worry too much about the media. They're just giddy because it's someone new in the final and they're good to write about being an underdog.

Lots of people have been saying it's good that we've gone under the radar this week and I agree. I hope our lads use it as motivation and their lads start to feel the pressure from all the attention.

I've really enjoyed this week so far, I know you need hatred between fans to make it mean something but it's been refreshing this week to speak to the opposition fans without knob heads bringing things down.