In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    That is it then us & Salford in the final . I will leave
    team selection to nearer the game . What tactics do
    we use .If it had been Wigan I would have gone up
    the middle , after watching last nights game I would
    play the ball wide against Salford . What does the
    panel suggest .
    I’d use similar tactics to what beat Wigan last week. Hit them hard through the middle then spread the ball wide using our back rowers as running options. Granted Wigan were poor but if we turn up and play our ‘A’ game there should be no excuses. In relation to undoubtably their best player Hastings, we need to do what we do against Blake Austin and instantly shut him down.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    I’d use similar tactics to what beat Wigan last week. Hit them hard through the middle then spread the ball wide using our back rowers as running options. Granted Wigan were poor but if we turn up and play our ‘A’ game there should be no excuses. In relation to undoubtably their best player Hastings, we need to do what we do against Blake Austin and instantly shut him down.
    Salford, nearly a home fixture for them, who would have believed it, no doubt with a load of Salford for a day supporters, ie Wigan fans who had already bought tickets, I know a couple. Completely agree with going wide, but first of all kick deep at every opportunity, like we used to against Bradford to turn them around, keep them at their end and tire them out, I cant see them scoring any long distance tries against us, but close to the line they are really dangerous

Starting A Programme Collection

Big congratulations to Salford. Superb effort and totally deserved . Clearly Watson has brought the club together as a unit, belief and attitude to succeed . Its refreshing to see . Anything is possible for them next week when you have that mindset so we must take caution.
    I really hope this can boost their fan base and they can progress on from this.

Whatever the result next week Salford deserve credit for this and as much as i think we will win next week. I really hope they make a good game of it for the team and fans same
    Well done Salford ! Bring on the final �� COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Salford seemed to neutralise the goons middles which allowed them to limit their strength on the edges, I don't think Salford will find that as easy against Saints as they don't have a strong enough pack.

For Saints, same selection as last week and the same game plan, the right execution and composure is a must to win this final. Hope its a fast open game which suits both sides and more importantly for neutral fans an entertaining one.

Really looking forward to this as a game and an event.

Regarding Salford ,couple of bits.

Kick to Inu , he will fatigue and keeps away from Welham and Sio.

Move their middles around , attack a little wider , target Jones and Griffin

Default The Grand Final .

Do what we did against Wigan. Be brutal in the middle and get those quick play the balls going. Be patient and wait until we’ve softened them up before we start throwing the ball around. Don’t overplay.

If there’s a player of theirs I’d be looking to test out it would be Kris Welham, who has always struck me as a poor defender.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Big congratulations to Salford. Superb effort and totally deserved . Clearly Watson has brought the club together as a unit, belief and attitude to succeed . Its refreshing to see . Anything is possible for them next week when you have that mindset so we must take caution.
    I really hope this can boost their fan base and they can progress on from this.

Whatever the result next week Salford deserve credit for this and as much as i think we will win next week. I really hope they make a good game of it for the team and fans same
    Well done Salford ! Bring on the final �� COYS
    He has done an amazing job, many of those players were struggling for recognition, either not wanted, not rated, on their way down etc. He has brought them together and made them a real team

It's like Leicestershire winning the Premier League

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Should be a good game. We are rightly favourites but it will be tough. Twice in the past 2 years Salford have had big leads over us before we’ve got out of jail with a few late scores. We were jammie last time out against them. If we play as well as we can the trophy is ours though.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

For all of Salfords effort there were a number of times that Wigan got the upper hand defensively and restricted Salford to a 20/30m gain. Wigan tired though where as we won't. We should be able to strangle Salford and keep them pinned down in their half for long periods. We are fitter, quicker, bigger and more Physical.

If we hit anywhere near the level of our Wigan game last week then we should be comfortable winners.

Big If though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

the rest of RL will be rooting for Salford that's for sure

Got A Season Ticket

After the Salford effort last night, this is not going to be easy! you have to credit Watson, and of course Hastings really makes them tick! also their supporters last night! why can they not get that number of fans at home?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

It should be a good game next week. Saints need to ride out the first 15-20 as Salford will be giddy and full of enthusiasm. Once it gets into the “arm wrestle” we should come out on top. Better pack and fitter. Can’t be chasing the game though after a slow start. If we come out like we did against Wigan and start strong then I can’t see Salford living with us.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Wigan didn't offer anything in attack and made Salford look a lot better than they actually are ( i'm not saying they are a bad team ).

As people have said we need to be up quick on Hastings and not give him time on the ball. We need to be aggressive ( without going to far ) with Dudson and Mossop and knock them out of their stride. Don't give away any penalties in our own half as Inu is a good kicker. Keep sending Taia at Welham as he really does look a weak defender who often just sticks an arm out. Earn the right to play wide before throwing the ball around,we need to keep composed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

The only team that can beat us next saturday is ourselves.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Salford seemed to neutralise the goons middles which allowed them to limit their strength on the edges, I don't think Salford will find that as easy against Saints as they don't have a strong enough pack.

For Saints, same selection as last week and the same game plan, the right execution and composure is a must to win this final. Hope its a fast open game which suits both sides and more importantly for neutral fans an entertaining one.
    If we play anything like last week we'll be right. As people have mentioned, kick deep and make them work hard off their line, make sure we close Hastings and Jones down. Offensively, hit our angles in the middle and pull defenders out of the line, get Percival and Grace 1 on 1 with with Welham and Sio, kick outside to in as they're strong under the high ball.

Noooobie

Anybody know where I can get 2 coach tickets from for the final

Learning All The Songs

After last night we shouldn't read too much into our performance against Wigan last week. They obviously aren't that good home or away.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

I bet Robert Lui is a bit gutted he left for the bright lights of Leeds now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I bet Robert Lui is a bit gutted he left for the bright lights of Leeds now.
    I'll bet. Fair play to Lolohea, he's like a different player at Salford.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    The only team that can beat us next saturday is ourselves.
    Totally agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    He has done an amazing job, many of those players were struggling for recognition, either not wanted, not rated, on their way down etc. He has brought them together and made them a real team

It's like Leicestershire winning the Premier League
    I think a cricket team winning the Premier League would be an even bigger story!

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    I think a cricket team winning the Premier League would be an even bigger story!

Ha ha, I wish a team with an easier name to spell would have won, Bury maybe?

Yes I should have said Leicester City!

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    the rest of RL will be rooting for Salford that's for sure
    Why?

Got A Replica Shirt

Run hard, get quick POTB's and no one comes close to beating Saints. It really is that simple.