Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need to stay grounded

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Default We need to stay grounded

Last night's performance was absolutely fantastic, for me it was the best of the Holbrook era, especially the 1st half where I thought we dominated and drained Wigan of their energy. It's very hard not to get carried away and get excited after a performance like that when weve been so dominant and brilliant.

But Saints need to make sure they keep their feet firmly on the ground and not get carried away. Nothing has been won yet and as brilliant as we've been all season and as deserving as we would be as being 'Champions' it is not won yet.

It's happened several times where teams have battered a side in the qualifying semi and then two weeks later they've been turned over in the final. I can think of a couple of times it's happened for and against us. 1999 Bradford stuck 40 on us at Odsal and two weeks later we won 8-6 at Old Trafford to lift the trophy after Bradford had been the dominant team that year. It worked against us in 2008 when we finished top, comfortably demolished Leeds at Knowsley Road and then they turned us over at Old Trafford two weeks later.

I genuinely believe if do the simple things well, stay calm and play well, we will win but we can't get too far ahead of ourselves and think it is job done. Sometimes you've got to lose a final to win one and maybe the CC final loss will help us stay grounded and spur us on at Old Trafford. Roll on the big day in two weeks time, it's going to be a long two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

As I said in another thread hold the ball and pass the ball well. That is the mentality for knock out games. Keeps the error count low.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Last night's performance was absolutely fantastic, for me it was the best of the Holbrook era, especially the 1st half where I thought we dominated and drained Wigan of their energy. It's very hard not to get carried away and get excited after a performance like that when weve been so dominant and brilliant.

But Saints need to make sure they keep their feet firmly on the ground and not get carried away. Nothing has been won yet and as brilliant as we've been all season and as deserving as we would be as being 'Champions' it is not won yet.

It's happened several times where teams have battered a side in the qualifying semi and then two weeks later they've been turned over in the final. I can think of a couple of times it's happened for and against us. 1999 Bradford stuck 40 on us at Odsal and two weeks later we won 8-6 at Old Trafford to lift the trophy after Bradford had been the dominant team that year. It worked against us in 2008 when we finished top, comfortably demolished Leeds at Knowsley Road and then they turned us over at Old Trafford two weeks later.

I genuinely believe if do the simple things well, stay calm and play well, we will win but we can't get too far ahead of ourselves and think it is job done. Sometimes you've got to lose a final to win one and maybe the CC final loss will help us stay grounded and spur us on at Old Trafford. Roll on the big day in two weeks time, it's going to be a long two weeks.
    Agreed. Whether we play Wigan or Salford we will face stiffer resistance than we did last night. We need to be sure that when that happens we don’t panic and start improvising like we have done in do-or-die games of late.

Keep completing our sets and working over that middle and we’ll win.

Starting A Programme Collection

Enjoyed reading your post. Sums up well what I'm thinking and feeling. I'm both excited and nervous for the GF - just hoping the team can keep their composure for the final and get their just reward for a fantastic season. COYS!

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

I think we will remain grounded. There was no wild celebration, no sense of job done. Watching us last night makes me believe we've learnt from Wembley. They looked so focused. It could be the best thing that happened if we lift the GF.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Just rewatching the game now. We seem even more dominant on the TV. What a night

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

At last we have some form back.
    Learned comment from The Don

If only we had played for even twenty minutes like that at Wembley we’d have been out of sight.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If only we had played for even twenty minutes like that at Wembley we’d have been out of sight.
    Yes, but Warrington's defence at Wembey was much better than Wigan's last night

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Very true l

Learning All The Songs

The difference was Warringtons defence wasn’t up against an attack that, for 40 minutes, completed at above 90% and consistently dented their line. And Warrington weren’t stuck in their own half for 21 minutes.

In The South Stand

And Hicks played a blinder, ensuring a denial of potentially 12 point lead to us and then gave them an attacking position with a mistake by awarding them a try from which they scored, 18 point turn around. There were no game changing mistakes from the official last night, as a result the team which 16 points clear of the opposition in the league walked it. As it should be. Of course Hicks thinks it's his job to entertain, he wouldn't have liked last nights walk over, would he?

Learning All The Songs

We did but we did not score (not according to Hicks). We panic when do not score, we should have had a few more tries for our dominance last night, we fluffed some good positions.
    Wigan were poor but we were very good in the first 15, as we were at Wembley.

Believe it or not there wasn’t much difference in our first 40 last night and the CC Final. However this time Fages got the try given whereas Knowles was chalked off. Exactly the same from a kick through. Wigan even scored at more or less the exact same part of the game that Warrington did.

We made a huge number of metres in the Final and had a large number of play the balls just that last night everything stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Believe it or not there wasn’t much difference in our first 40 last night and the CC Final. However this time Fages got the try given whereas Knowles was chalked off. Exactly the same from a kick through. Wigan even scored at more or less the exact same part of the game that Warrington did.

We made a huge number of metres in the Final and had a large number of play the balls just that last night everything stuck.

I’m not so sure. The big difference was that in the final we’d already gone off map by half time and were making plenty of errors. Last night we stuck to the plan and there was only one error in the first half and that was on Wigan’s 10m line. We also didn’t generate anything like the same ruck speed at Wembley.

Got A Season Ticket

Glad people are remembering how well we started at Wembley. I said so in the stadium. Just goes to show how much a poor or excellent refereeing performance can influence a game and you saw both ends of the spectrum with Hicks and Kendall’s performances.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

In my opinion the difference was massive, we made about 9 errors and conceded a few penalties in the first 40 mins against wire with around 60% completion with 190 tackles and were zonked, last night I think we made 1 error and 1 penalty and must have been around 90% completion and would have assumed a far less tackle count to keep us on full tap for those 40 mins.

For me it was the Wires first 40 mins which was similar to Saints last night firs 40 mins with the exception of the difference in domination, we were outstanding man for man last night.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 28th September 2019 at 14:48.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    In my opinion the difference was massive, we made about 9 errors and conceded a few penalties in the first 40 mins against wire with around 60% completion with 190 tackles and were zonked, last night I think we made 1 error and 1 penalty and must have been around 90 completion and would have assumed a far less tackle count to keep us on full tap for those 40 mins.

For me it was the Wires first 40 mins which was similar to Saints last night firs 40 mins with the exception of the difference in domination, we were outstanding man for man last night.
    One mistake first half which was the Coote knock on, which was on an advantage play regardless

Learning All The Songs

Completely disagree. The first 20 against Wire was decent enough but overall the first 40 of that game was absolutely nowhere near the level of the first 40 last night. That last night was our best first half for years, in fact I’m not sure I can think of a better one. Everything about it was brilliant and the whole approach was the complete opposite to the CC Final. Last night was hard and direct running with pressure built off the back of a good kicking game (we must have kicked to the in goal more than we have in any other game under Holbrook). As a result the Wigan defensive line was shattered, their line speed was non existent giving Fages, Lomax and Coote space and time to do what they wanted. Against Wire we looked poor in attack and after the first 20 started to panick. Last night was a masterclass in playoff rugby and a completely different style of play compared to our other playoff games, the CC Final was certainly not.

Learning All The Songs

Well I’m not staying grounded. That was f@#%%*”)g brilliant. Bring on .... anybody

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I said in the week that if we had a good lead at HT Wigan may start looking at next week. I've seen it before. Blobby references Saints losing heavily at Bradford at this stage back in the day, and the Chairman referenced wins over Leeds two weeks before getting beat by them at OT. It's great to be there and we hopefully laid a few ghosts to rest last night, but as EM said last night, we start again at 0-0 and we need to do it all again. I'm confident if we handle it mentally we will be Champions in two weeks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Amazing how all the Wankeys have suddenly disappeared.

Banned

My mate was saying similar last night and was saying Wigan put their cue back on the rack for part of the first half and all of the second. There probably is some truth in that but we still blew them away in that first half and continued to knock them about for most of the game. I personally can't wait to play them at OT as every time we've played them we've battered them physically and made easy meters, although I do think they will be a tougher game than Salford. What I will say is I don't think we'll have it as much our own way in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Amazing how all the Wankeys have suddenly disappeared.
    One of them is partaking in a George Formby tribute tour I've heard mate

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    One of them is partaking in a George Formby tribute tour I've heard mate
    He better be careful or his dole money will be stopped.