Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need to stay grounded

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    My mate was saying similar last night and was saying Wigan put their cue back on the rack for part of the first half and all of the second.
    They never picked the cue up I don’t think

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    I think we will remain grounded. There was no wild celebration, no sense of job done. Watching us last night makes me believe we've learnt from Wembley. They looked so focused. It could be the best thing that happened if we lift the GF.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I agree - we really played like a team with a point to prove last night.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Last night's performance was absolutely fantastic, for me it was the best of the Holbrook era, especially the 1st half where I thought we dominated and drained Wigan of their energy. It's very hard not to get carried away and get excited after a performance like that when weve been so dominant and brilliant.

But Saints need to make sure they keep their feet firmly on the ground and not get carried away. Nothing has been won yet and as brilliant as we've been all season and as deserving as we would be as being 'Champions' it is not won yet.

It's happened several times where teams have battered a side in the qualifying semi and then two weeks later they've been turned over in the final. I can think of a couple of times it's happened for and against us. 1999 Bradford stuck 40 on us at Odsal and two weeks later we won 8-6 at Old Trafford to lift the trophy after Bradford had been the dominant team that year. It worked against us in 2008 when we finished top, comfortably demolished Leeds at Knowsley Road and then they turned us over at Old Trafford two weeks later.

I genuinely believe if do the simple things well, stay calm and play well, we will win but we can't get too far ahead of ourselves and think it is job done. Sometimes you've got to lose a final to win one and maybe the CC final loss will help us stay grounded and spur us on at Old Trafford. Roll on the big day in two weeks time, it's going to be a long two weeks.
    I understand what you mean in that nothing is won yet, but I think it is just as important to maintain the enthusiasm and confidence we showed last night,

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

As per title thread, I wonder if they will go to the high ground next week as last weeks trip up to Snowdon, maybe Helvellyn or Scafell this coming weekend.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    As per title thread, I wonder if they will go to the high ground next week as last weeks trip up to Snowdon, maybe Helvellyn or Scafell this coming weekend.
    Decent little training exercise/team bonding type thing, they shouldn't need any fitness work at this time in the season apart from keeping themselves ticking over and there's only so much ball work and tactics they can do. I think it's important the lads enjoy the build up, especially the younger ones and players that haven't done it before. There seemed to be a real feel good surrounding the team on Friday and it would be good to run out at OT with that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Last night's performance was absolutely fantastic, for me it was the best of the Holbrook era, especially the 1st half where I thought we dominated and drained Wigan of their energy. It's very hard not to get carried away and get excited after a performance like that when weve been so dominant and brilliant.

But Saints need to make sure they keep their feet firmly on the ground and not get carried away. Nothing has been won yet and as brilliant as we've been all season and as deserving as we would be as being 'Champions' it is not won yet.

It's happened several times where teams have battered a side in the qualifying semi and then two weeks later they've been turned over in the final. I can think of a couple of times it's happened for and against us. 1999 Bradford stuck 40 on us at Odsal and two weeks later we won 8-6 at Old Trafford to lift the trophy after Bradford had been the dominant team that year. It worked against us in 2008 when we finished top, comfortably demolished Leeds at Knowsley Road and then they turned us over at Old Trafford two weeks later.

I genuinely believe if do the simple things well, stay calm and play well, we will win but we can't get too far ahead of ourselves and think it is job done. Sometimes you've got to lose a final to win one and maybe the CC final loss will help us stay grounded and spur us on at Old Trafford. Roll on the big day in two weeks time, it's going to be a long two weeks.
    Or conversely in 2000 Saints hammered Wigan 54-16 and then nobbled them in the GF?
    Being honest very few Saints fans would be taking the GF for granted; our recent record in big games guarantees that. However the performance on Friday ticked every box. I felt that even if Saints had won by in a tight game (and many predicted this) it would have left some question marks remaining: Were Wigan getting closer? Had Saints felt the pressure of SF rugby just a touch? What confidence would Wigan get from such a game? etc

The bottom line is that none of thoe questions became relevant because they were utterly dominated start to finish. Any claims Wigan put 'the cue back on the rack are laughable.' They turned up fancying their chances, with a handful of kids who were touted to give the Saints pack a run for its money and were whooped, again. It was a huge body blow to their confidence and if Salford stay composed and bring any sort of kicking game to the DW I'd back them to win. The chairman is right that we start 0-0 with whoever we play in 2 weeks time and its a sickener that an end of season cup competition decides the League, but the team did everything they needed to in that semi; a far cry from the nervous semi against Halifax.

Got A Season Ticket

The Totally Wicked stadium really has become a fortress for us this season! Lets hope we can play like that at a neutral venue.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by nutgrovesaint View Post
    The Totally Wicked stadium really has become a fortress for us this season! Lets hope we can play like that at a neutral venue.
    True this. Feels good to have been so dominant this season - and playing entertaining rugby too. Only league defeats coming on the road at London and Catalans (IIRC).

Maybe the next step is to find that mentality and confidence to win on the biggest stage at a neutral venue... Embedding a winning culture and develop an air of champions and invincibility. Do this and we could begin to establish a trophy winning team for future seasons too

Starting A Programme Collection

Tony Chubb NFA( penalty sufficient ) Theo Fages charged with illegal throw on Hardaker, but Grade A and NFA (Zero match penalty notice)

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Tony Chubb NFA( penalty sufficient ) Theo Fages charged with illegal throw on Hardaker, but Grade A and NFA (Zero match penalty notice)
    Thank Heavans for that - I'm gald we'll have a full squad (Lees aside) to pick from.

Tbh I think at most Clubb was gettign was a 1 game ban (but that would've been harsh) a Sin Bin may've been warranted, but he was never getting a two game ban.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by nutgrovesaint View Post
    I’d love for it to become that in the stands too! A really loud and intimidating place for teams to come but I think it’s a pipe dream to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Decent little training exercise/team bonding type thing, they shouldn't need any fitness work at this time in the season apart from keeping themselves ticking over and there's only so much ball work and tactics they can do. I think it's important the lads enjoy the build up, especially the younger ones and players that haven't done it before. There seemed to be a real feel good surrounding the team on Friday and it would be good to run out at OT with that.
    Sometimes its a good thing to get away from the game, apart from last week, we have played every week of the season, that week off would have allowed the players to get away from the routine of training and games and given Fridays performance had an obvious benefit, constantly playing can be a good thing, but it doesn’t allow player a chance to rest and recuperate that much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Sometimes its a good thing to get away from the game, apart from last week, we have played every week of the season, that week off would have allowed the players to get away from the routine of training and games and given Fridays performance had an obvious benefit, constantly playing can be a good thing, but it doesn’t allow player a chance to rest and recuperate that much.
    Well that's it, it's still a physical activity although much easier for those lads than it would be for me, a bit of a laugh and a change of scenery from Cowley. I bet most of them wouldn't thank the coaching staff for suggesting it this week though the way the weather has been, I got soaked earlier walking from B&Q to Costa.

The players at last week’s forum (Lomax, Coote, Ashworth and LMS) all said that physically it was a hard couple of days in Snowdonia but it allowed them to forget about rugby, refresh mentally and bond away from the familiar daily environment. On returning to the normal routine, they said they focussed on reducing the errors that had come into their game in recent weeks, successfully judging by Friday’s performance.

Learning All The Songs

Just watched the play off game from 2002 at Wigan (following the reference by an earlier poster). If you need any reminders as to how good KC and Longy were, then watch this master class! One of the most enjoyable matches I’ve ever attended at the DW!

Learning All The Songs

Sorry meant 2000!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YorkshireSaint93 View Post
    I’d love for it to become that in the stands too! A really loud and intimidating place for teams to come but I think it’s a pipe dream to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Need a standing pop side back along the side of the pitch rather than stuck behind the sticks.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think this is a fitting time to bring this thread back to the surface. As funny as tonight's game was, next week will be a tough game against a team that has no pressure on them whatsoever and is playing well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

2nd time this year we are heading to a final as heavy favourites.

Salford wont be a push over. Plenty old boys in that squad who know how to win at OT

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Salford wont be a push over. Plenty old boys in that squad who know how to win at OT
    Yep, one defeat in the last eleven games and that defeat well and truly avenged.
    We need to be at our very best to win, they are battle hardened, with a tough pack. Our pack are metre makers, theirs is tough and not without skill. Their halves are very good, Lolohea and excellent, Hastings.
    Evalds, Bibby and Griffin are good enough for any top team, this is not the foregone conclusion some are making out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Yep, one defeat in the last eleven games and that defeat well and truly avenged.
    We need to be at our very best to win, they are battle hardened, with a tough pack. Our pack are metre makers, theirs is tough and not without skill. Their halves are very good, Lolohea and excellent, Hastings.
    Evalds, Bibby and Griffin are good enough for any top team, this is not the foregone conclusion some are making out.
    Very good team, you don't get to finals being poor. I'm a big fan of Evalds and Griffin. I'd have both at Saints.

Learning All The Songs

Very good team, you don't get to finals being poor. I'm a big fan of Evalds and Griffin. I'd have both at Saints.
    If we are not 100% we lose, they have played at nearly full tilt the last three games.
    As we know we can panic if we don`t break the line after early dominance.
    I am nervous already, f@@k we have to do this, of all finals if we do not do this, we have swallowed.

Saw one of the players in Costa before. Believe me, they know they are in for a game.

I'm nervous too but I fully believe we will go into this with the right attitude.

At the end of the day, we might win, we might lose. Salford deserve to be in the final & it's going to be hard for us. It's also going to be hard for them.

I think their back row are really good & we've got to stop them rolling up the pitch. Josh Jones was teriffic against Wigan

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Precisely. They'll be far from overawed. They'll also have a very vocal support there.

I won't be underestimating them after watching them put the cleaners through Wigan

I think we got our fingers burned at Wembley. Won't happen again, Saints to win comfortably.