Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60

Thread: Saints Pack Domination Coming into Form

  1. #26
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,100
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    A couple of times the way he ran in I initially thought it was Thompson. Ashworth seemed to be making an attempt to break through or at least win the tackle every time he took it in.
    He just needs to be receiving the ball a pass wider and he’ll be very difficult to put down.

  2. #27
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,692
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    He just needs to be receiving the ball a pass wider and he’ll be very difficult to put down.
    I get the impression Holbrook has changed his game a bit and changed his "hybrid prop" role to one similar to Matty Lees running direct, make metres and a quicker PTB. In doing that he has most likely nicked that 17th spot away from Bentley and Paulo.

  3. #28
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,770
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Not sure if Knowles had been mentioned but I thought his first stint was excellent. He seemed to be making a lot of metres after contact and they struggled to put him down

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  4. #29
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,306
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Not sure if Knowles had been mentioned but I thought his first stint was excellent. He seemed to be making a lot of metres after contact and they struggled to put him down

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Think some have mentioned it but you're right, he played a blinder.

  5. #30
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Not sure if Knowles had been mentioned but I thought his first stint was excellent. He seemed to be making a lot of metres after contact and they struggled to put him down

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    He certainly was although every forward took it to them at some point.

  6. #31
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Not sure if Knowles had been mentioned but I thought his first stint was excellent. He seemed to be making a lot of metres after contact and they struggled to put him down

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    He is now a class act every week. It will be a travesty if he is not on that plane to the WC.

  7. #32
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Think we need to have one of Walmsley or Thompson on the pitch at all times during the final. Start them off in tandem. Give Walmsley 20/25 mins. Thommo to carry on until 55/60 min mark. Walmsley back for the last 20!

  8. #33
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    He just needs to be receiving the ball a pass wider and he’ll be very difficult to put down.
    I’ve always thought that with a bit of time and coaching he could be a SR, which would give him that width.

  9. #34
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,100
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He is now a class act every week. It will be a travesty if he is not on that plane to the WC.
    I don’t think you could make any case for O’Loughlin being picked ahead of him at loose forward. There’s plenty Wigan fans who don’t think he should even be in the Wigan team.

  10. #35
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    10,993
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    He certainly was although every forward took it to them at some point.
    Absolutely, the whole of the pack were awesome. Been watching Saints a long time ( 1975) and I would struggle to think of a more perfect / dominant performance, certainly against Wigan. ( I bloody missed 75-0 whilst at Glastonbury!!) You would have to say that the outside backs , especially TMak, Percy and Naiqama worked their chocks off in the early tackles laying the groundwork for the pack to pile forward at a serious rate of knots.

  11. #36
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    10,993
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Get a grip guys, your forwards are dominating because your opposition packs are hopeless.

    But having said that it would be churlish of me not to recognise the domination of your forwards.

    Indeed the last time I recall such forward dominance was in the 2019 Challenge Cup Final where the Warrington Wolves pack absolutely smashed, and totally utterly dominated the pack of their opponents. (Name escapes me as you never remember losers).

    Can’t argue with that!!!
    Where have you been? Recovering from Mad Monday in mid September?

  12. #37
    Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    live in Rainford / Seat in North Stand
    Posts
    611
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I inclined to agree with this
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintMCMXCIV View Post
    Think we need to have one of Walmsley or Thompson on the pitch at all times during the final. Start them off in tandem. Give Walmsley 20/25 mins. Thommo to carry on until 55/60 min mark. Walmsley back for the last 20!

  13. #38
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I don’t think you could make any case for O’Loughlin being picked ahead of him at loose forward. There’s plenty Wigan fans who don’t think he should even be in the Wigan team.
    I had to listen to the fist Half on Wish, Wigan commentary (watched the game straight after). Even those doing the commentary said S O'L shouldn't be on the field. Too slow, and a penalty liability. words the Wigan commentators were using. But, you never know what Bennett will do.

  14. #39
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,692
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintMCMXCIV View Post
    Think we need to have one of Walmsley or Thompson on the pitch at all times during the final. Start them off in tandem. Give Walmsley 20/25 mins. Thommo to carry on until 55/60 min mark. Walmsley back for the last 20!
    That seemed to work very well on Friday, I'm not sure but I think they played like that in the Cas game. Thommo is back to his best just like before his injury so I would imagine he could do 50 mins minimum.

  15. #40
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Where have you been? Recovering from Mad Monday in mid September?
    He must've got his dole money and been able to put some credit on his phone.

  16. #41
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Get a grip guys, your forwards are dominating because your opposition packs are hopeless.

    But having said that it would be churlish of me not to recognise the domination of your forwards.

    Indeed the last time I recall such forward dominance was in the 2019 Challenge Cup Final where the Warrington Wolves pack absolutely smashed, and totally utterly dominated the pack of their opponents. (Name escapes me as you never remember losers).

    Can’t argue with that!!!
    It's the old cliché that "you can only play what's in front of you". That was the team that finished second in the league and has made the GF play offs. I guess if you reckon we made 'em look that poor, then we must be exceptional. Fair enough. Good that your forwards can dominate one team in one match this season (is Hicks a forward?).

  17. #42
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    732
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Get a grip guys, your forwards are dominating because your opposition packs are hopeless.

    But having said that it would be churlish of me not to recognise the domination of your forwards.

    Indeed the last time I recall such forward dominance was in the 2019 Challenge Cup Final where the Warrington Wolves pack absolutely smashed, and totally utterly dominated the pack of their opponents. (Name escapes me as you never remember losers).

    Can’t argue with that!!!
    I guess you are on here because of the lack of activity on any Warrington site over the last week or so. But you will fall at the first hurdle, at home to a weak Castleford pack. Still, there is always next year to look forward to, it might well be your year but we have been hearing this since Churchill was a lad.

  18. #43
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Nope, I post when I have got something of value to add, like a week before the Challenge Cup Final I posted on the Wires board that the way to beat you at Wembley was to play two second rows in the half’s and steamroller your pack into submission and errors. When pricey read that he decided he only needed the one second row Jack Hughes, in the half’s to wallop you, and so it came to be.

    Now I have posted this same advice on the pies board as to how to take you apart, now it’s up to lam whether he adopts it or not
    What pearls of wisdom did you post before the Castleford game ?

  19. #44
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Nope, I post when I have got something of value to add, like a week before the Challenge Cup Final I posted on the Wires board that the way to beat you at Wembley was to play two second rows in the half’s and steamroller your pack into submission and errors. When pricey read that he decided he only needed the one second row Jack Hughes, in the half’s to wallop you, and so it came to be.

    Now I have posted this same advice on the pies board as to how to take you apart, now it’s up to lam whether he adopts it or not
    You're right, and lets hope Lam does take notice. I think he should play swap round Williams and Isa. Works for me anyway.

  20. #45
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    119
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Nope, I post when I have got something of value to add, like a week before the Challenge Cup Final I posted on the Wires board that the way to beat you at Wembley was to play two second rows in the half’s and steamroller your pack into submission and errors. When pricey read that he decided he only needed the one second row Jack Hughes, in the half’s to wallop you, and so it came to be.

    Now I have posted this same advice on the pies board as to how to take you apart, now it’s up to lam whether he adopts it or not
    Are you still allowed to use the word RETARD? Sorry if you cant anymore but this is a RETARDED WINDOW LICKER he has not got the brain to smash one like his mates.

  21. #46
    Learning All The Songs Nickles Forearm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    1,963
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    That having clobbered our local rivals in the biggest game between the two clubs in Rugby League history, at Wembley in the Challenge Cup Final, and after making both finals last year I reckoned our season was done.
    And so it came to pass
    ... and here lay the ambition of an armchair Warrington fan. Losing both finals last year and beating Saints In the challenge cup final this year sandwiched in the middle of thoroughly dismal performances in the super league for the majority of the season. This is classed as success, I think not. When I speak to real Warrington fans that actually go to a game or two they agree their club is not where they want it to be at this moment and are pretty embarrassed of clowns like you who claim otherwise in the name of their club.

  22. #47
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,770
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Why are we allowing these Muppets to derail threads again?

    Just ignore them FFS

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  23. #48
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Are you still allowed to use the word RETARD? Sorry if you cant anymore but this is a RETARDED WINDOW LICKER he has not got the brain to smash one like his mates.
    I think you can use when it is warranted, for people like this moron.

  24. #49
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on WA12RL radio.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,102
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Nope, I post when I have got something of value to add, like a week before the Challenge Cup Final I posted on the Wires board that the way to beat you at Wembley was to play two second rows in the half’s and steamroller your pack into submission and errors. When pricey read that he decided he only needed the one second row Jack Hughes, in the half’s to wallop you, and so it came to be.

    Now I have posted this same advice on the pies board as to how to take you apart, now it’s up to lam whether he adopts it or not
    I don't normally take the bait but you are a complete p****.
    Learned comment from The Don

  25. #50
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,071
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I don't normally take the bait but you are a complete p****.
    Your best to ignore Don, the poster in question has nothing of any relevance, value or intelligence to add to any conversation.
    I've never understood people actually joining a rival website to spout bilge. Its a particularly puerile and banal form of attention seeking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •