Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: Saints Pack Domination Coming into Form

  1. #1
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,695
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Saints Pack Domination Coming into Form

    What impression me last night was how all our forwards shared the workload and ran very direct with purpose, we also seemed to be lining out with less of a flat attack and our forwards were taking the ball in at speed.

    Our first choice front row was outstanding making 344 metres from the 3 of them whilst the Goons first choice front row gassed fairly quickly 63 metres, the whole goon pack made only 213 metres our one player Makinson the wing forward made more than that with 224 metres. Clubb the dominator was good made 2 carries for 11 metres and Powell must have been sick of the sight of seeing Walmsley and Thommo flatten and trample all over him.

  2. #2
    In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    35
    Posts
    7,477
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Thompson made more metres than Isa, clubb, Byrne, partington, o loughlin, Powell and flower combined

  3. #3
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    And he only played 50 minutes...

    I thought Holbrook also timed his subs perfectly. When Amor came on for Thompson he was really going for it, definitely trying to make sure he is in the squad for the GF.

  4. #4
    Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Moss Bank
    Posts
    1,704
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    And he only played 50 minutes...

    I thought Holbrook also timed his subs perfectly. When Amor came on for Thompson he was really going for it, definitely trying to make sure he is in the squad for the GF.
    No wonder Amor had a go living at the top of billinge , almost over the hill , he had a great game .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

  5. #5
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,771
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Thompson made more metres than Isa, clubb, Byrne, partington, o loughlin, Powell and flower combined
    I genuinely can't recall Clubb taking the ball up!
    As good as Saints pack was last night the wigan forwards were truly dreadful.
    A few of their players seriously let their mates down with a reluctance to do hard yards

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Learning All The Songs jonimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Stand 'D' Blocker
    Posts
    2,053
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    They'll have to go better against Salford or else.

  7. #7
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,101
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I genuinely can't recall Clubb taking the ball up!
    As good as Saints pack was last night the wigan forwards were truly dreadful.
    A few of their players seriously let their mates down with a reluctance to do hard yards

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    He certainly went missing for 10 minutes after he did Coote, putting his hand up pretending to want the ball

  8. #8
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,130
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Thompson made more metres than Isa, clubb, Byrne, partington, o loughlin, Powell and flower combined
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    And he only played 50 minutes...
    My new Sig.
    Posted by paulscnthorpe
    Thompson made more metres than Isa, clubb, Byrne, partington, o loughlin, Powell and flower combined

    Posted by SaintJon
    And he only played 50 minutes...

  9. #9
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    He certainly went missing for 10 minutes after he did Coote, putting his hand up pretending to want the ball
    I saw him that little after that i thought he had been subbed off.

  10. #10
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,695
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    He certainly went missing for 10 minutes after he did Coote, putting his hand up pretending to want the ball
    Shirley and Clubb are too fat, make it a high tempo first 15 mins and they are gassed. Clubb did quite a lot of 3rd man in flops to make it look as though he was working hard.

  11. #11
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    He certainly went missing for 10 minutes after he did Coote, putting his hand up pretending to want the ball
    I tried to watch for him, wanting our forwards to smash him - but the coward hid, seeming to know where the ball was going and drifting to the other side, or staying almost directly behind the ptb out of the way. Hid in defence, too. He took one carry after the incident, but it was a second phase and he trundles it before going down easier than a Bill Clinton intern.

    The soft, fat get.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  12. #12
    Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    346
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I'm surprised nobody has noticed Clubb twisting Percivals foot/ankle in the 13th minute. He should be in trouble for that.

  13. #13
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    957
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I genuinely can't recall Clubb taking the ball up!
    As good as Saints pack was last night the wigan forwards were truly dreadful.
    A few of their players seriously let their mates down with a reluctance to do hard yards

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    the fat useless lump spent most of the night limping back into the line.

  14. #14
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    957
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I tried to watch for him, wanting our forwards to smash him - but the coward hid, seeming to know where the ball was going and drifting to the other side, or staying almost directly behind the ptb out of the way. Hid in defence, too. He took one carry after the incident, but it was a second phase and he trundles it before going down easier than a Bill Clinton intern.

    The soft, fat get.
    Did you notice Partington I think it was actually step out of a tackle as Thommo was battering in? I was right behind it, he still made the tackle but clearly didn't fancy it much.

  15. #15
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,101
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I read somewhere that Clubb made two (TWO) drives for a total of 11 metres last night

  16. #16
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,695
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I read somewhere that Clubb made two (TWO) drives for a total of 11 metres last night
    His first drive if people missed it was the first 10 seconds of the match for about 6 metres, the other one could have been when he fell with forward momentum.

  17. #17
    Learning All The Songs barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashton in Makerfield
    Posts
    1,119
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Eddington View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has noticed Clubb twisting Percivals foot/ankle in the 13th minute. He should be in trouble for that.
    I noticed it, Percy had a word but I don't think Clubb added any unecessary pressure to the ankle just wouldn't let go when Percy tried to get his foot free.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    957
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    I'd just like to say, having been quite critical of him, Ashworth was good last night.

  19. #19
    Learning All The Songs Gerry Mander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Around the Ruck. Winning the Collision.
    Posts
    2,012
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'd just like to say, having been quite critical of him, Ashworth was good last night.
    Agree.

    The thing I notice is that he and LMS seem to have switched roles. LMS comes on as a prop ,
    Ashworth later as LF but didn't line up as a pivot.

    Therefore he doesn't take as many drives. The carries he took were very effective.

    Not sure what that's all about.

    Good he had a better game.

  20. #20
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    957
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Agree.

    The thing I notice is that he and LMS seem to have switched roles. LMS comes on as a prop ,
    Ashworth later as LF but didn't line up as a pivot.

    Therefore he doesn't take as many drives. The carries he took were very effective.

    Not sure what that's all about.

    Good he had a better game.
    Excellent spot, I have to say I didn't notice that but whatever the change it clearly worked. I still think he's a second row in a props body at the moment but really tore in to them when he came on and it was good to see because the potential is clearly there.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 28th September 2019 at 21:04. Reason: Rubber Duckie wearing trainers to a wedding.

  21. #21
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,800
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'd just like to say, having been quite critical of him, Ashworth was good last night.
    Yep - he put in a good shift. Probably guaranteed himself a spot in the grand final line up.

  22. #22
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Mat be wrong. But did we only make one change in the first 40? With our fitter pack, another week off, we have to confident that this time in 2 weeks we will be champions and I will be texting wire fans everywhere

  23. #23
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeaverhamSaint View Post
    Mat be wrong. But did we only make one change in the first 40? With our fitter pack, another week off, we have to confident that this time in 2 weeks we will be champions and I will be texting wire fans everywhere
    Yes Ashworh fior Walmsley after abut 23 mins

  24. #24
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WeaverhamSaint View Post
    Mat be wrong. But did we only make one change in the first 40? With our fitter pack, another week off, we have to confident that this time in 2 weeks we will be champions and I will be texting wire fans everywhere
    Opps sorry it was LMS for Walmsley

  25. #25
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,784
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'd just like to say, having been quite critical of him, Ashworth was good last night.
    A couple of times the way he ran in I initially thought it was Thompson. Ashworth seemed to be making an attempt to break through or at least win the tackle every time he took it in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •