Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Wigan or Salford?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Great result and gives the Grand Final a boost, two teams who can play unpredictable expansive rugby, we in theory just a bit better in almost every position but we need an error free game similar to last week and could this be one game too far for Salford next week.

Got A Season Ticket

On the plus side of it being Salford, if i it’d been Wigan, some Saints players may have subconsciously thought the game was already won. They shouldn’t think that against Salford they’re a team on form who have run Saints very close when they’ve played!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit I couldn’t see Salford turning them over in their own (rented) ground

Pathetic from Wigan though, no appetite for the contest at all and were more than happy to lose

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Tonight’s the night guys, just got a feeling the pies big game experience will get them over the line
    It wasn't their year.

Got A Season Ticket

Made up Wigan are out. I agree that Salford will be a tougher proposition than Wigan would have been . The thing is I could just about live with being beat by Salford but if we lost to Wigan it would be too much.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Anyone know how many were there? Looked a bit sparse, apart from the Salford end (and even sparser with 15 mins to go!)
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Anyone know how many were there? Looked a bit sparse, apart from the Salford end (and even sparser with 15 mins to go!)
    9,344 or thereabouts

Learning All The Songs

Phil Clarke not knowing his facts again saying that the last time Salford were champions was 1939. They were champions twice in the 1970's; 75-76 the last time!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

As bad as Wigan were on the night, I don't think that's the only reason they lost. Salford looked a decent team, fairly quick PTB's and good in defence. They will test us more than Wigan with a game that has similarities to our own. I still think we will win comfortably next week but will need to play well. The Gf should on paper, be one of the better spectacles for the neutral. Re Williams going to Aus, if his form is anything like this season I doubt he will get a single game; will Wigan even want him back?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    As bad as Wigan were on the night, I don't think that's the only reason they lost. Salford looked a decent team, fairly quick PTB's and good in defence. They will test us more than Wigan with a game that has similarities to our own. I still think we will win comfortably next week but will need to play well. The Gf should on paper, be one of the better spectacles for the neutral. Re Williams going to Aus, if his form is anything like this season I doubt he will get a single game; will Wigan even want him back?
    Sorry chaps.

Got that one completely wrong. Expected Wigan to turn it on last night. Game on next week

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    9,344 or thereabouts
    Cheers. Ancient and LOYAL? Their 18th man?
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Got A Season Ticket

That result has changed the narrative. I think if Wigan had won most neutrals would have wanted Saints to win as deserving champions. Now Salford will capture many/most neutral fans as the underdogs. I think Phil Clarke made a very good point when he talked about Salford needing to get ahead and then stay ahead. We need to be onto it right from the start, play error free and be the dominating team from set 1 - all easier said than done but COYS - my corner of West Auckland, NZ is cheering you on.

A lot of credit must go to what Watson has done with those lads, they ran us close last time and it will be a tough one for us next week.

COYS

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Cheers. Ancient and LOYAL? Their 18th man?
    Horrendous that, irrespective of what PieSports kept saying about 3000 Salford fans. Ian Blease said after the game they had brought over 4000-4500 fans to the DW. If this is the case, for arguably Wigan’s biggest game of the year they had approx 4500 home fans

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

The Wigan attendance summed up Wigan's performance and result. Salford packed out their end and we're absolutely rocking the place and the players bounced off. Wigan on the other hand were dreadful and looked beaten when they went onto the field. The Wigan fans were quiet as a mouse. To have around 5,000 home fans at a Play Off Semi final is absolutely disgraceful for the so called biggest club in the world.

Well done Salford, they deserve to be at Old Trafford and it'll beatlugh game next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Horrendous that, irrespective of what PieSports kept saying about 3000 Salford fans. Ian Blease said after the game they had brought over 4000-4500 fans to the DW. If this is the case, for arguably Wigan’s biggest game of the year they had approx 4500 home fans
    Sky sport website says 4000 from Salford. Bill Arthur at one point made a comment equating to "The wigan fans, well those that are still here". There wasn't enough of them for a decent Wigan Walk.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    A lot of credit must go to what Watson has done with those lads, they ran us close last time and it will be a tough one for us next week.

COYS
    It sounded as though Watson learnt a lot from our game and applied a similar tactic of a quicker tempo and switch plays at the start to get on the front foot and apply lots of pressure in that first quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It sounded as though Watson learnt a lot from our game and applied a similar tactic of a quicker tempo and switch plays at the start to get on the front foot and apply lots of pressure in that first quarter.
    Taking the 2 at every opportunity is a great tactic for always being ahead on the scoreboard. The points push you forward then you get the ball back and force the other team to chase the game.

Just like us last week, and Warrington in the CC final, if you’re ahead the game is yours to lose.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

They play well as a unit but clearly, bar Hastings, don’t have many gamebreaker type players. If we do our jobs in defence and keep the errors low they will probably find it hard to hurt us from deep.

Noooobie

Does, anybody know what the odds were at the beginning of the Season of Salford reaching the Final or winning it? I guess (1,000 to 1)
    I would imagine that only a diehard Salford fan would have betted on that.
    Let's hope, if someone did for reaching the Final, enjoy their Winnings but hopefully not to win it!!!!!!

Sent from my HTC U Play using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    They play well as a unit but clearly, bar Hastings, don’t have many gamebreaker type players. If we do our jobs in defence and keep the errors low they will probably find it hard to hurt us from deep.
    Need to stop the link with Evalds , hes nothing special but he sees the gap and links up well , Knowles to tie Hastings hands behind his back .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Need to stop the link with Evalds , hes nothing special but he sees the gap and links up well , Knowles to tie Hastings hands behind his back .
    Evalds is quick and can sustain that pace. Wouldn't be surprised if he was quickest over 100m out if both sets of players.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    The Wigan attendance summed up Wigan's performance and result. Salford packed out their end and we're absolutely rocking the place and the players bounced off. Wigan on the other hand were dreadful and looked beaten when they went onto the field. The Wigan fans were quiet as a mouse. To have around 5,000 home fans at a Play Off Semi final is absolutely disgraceful for the so called biggest club in the world.

Well done Salford, they deserve to be at Old Trafford and it'll beatlugh game next week.
    It is a terrible attendance. Considering over the last few years they have had 20k at good Friday Derby. I guess so many factors come into it but the playoff turnouts have on the whole been an embarrassment to the sport. It is no wonder we struggle for sponsors

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    It is a terrible attendance. Considering over the last few years they have had 20k at good Friday Derby. I guess so many factors come into it but the playoff turnouts have on the whole been an embarrassment to the sport. It is no wonder we struggle for sponsors

Be better off adding 50 quid to a season ticket to include cup and play off games. People ain't turning up as they don't want to pay the extra.

That attendance was a disgrace last night

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post

Ancient perhaps, but certainly not loyal. I guess they knew what was coming. A team that was tired, humiliated last week, poor through the middle. O'Laughlin looks completely shot to me. No excuse for not turning out to a semi final at home though. Although I bet they're glad they don't have to face us again!