Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wigan or Salford?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    You sit behind your keyboard cyber stalking me by replying to every post, hurling insults from behind your keyboard, and your gong to do nothing just as I thought.

It's like reading comments and insults from a school child bickering in the school playground, it's embarrassing to read.

Its sad you need to insult people on the internet to somehow give your self esteem a boost.
    No I don't, I call you out for being an over opinionated idiot who thinks he's some kind honour defender for the RFL and an authority on all things RL. You're now complaining about having your opinion pulled apart like you continually do to others, who in the main can't be bothered replying to you after a while. You then start with all this that I'm insulting you like a big cry baby, no doubt you'll soon be crying to admin.

Again, with a total lack of irony you call me childlike and insulting when all I did was say give it a rest and stop being being pedantic, I didn't use any bad language or anything so if you find that insulting, I'd say it's you with the childlike tendencies, along with keep asking me "what I'm going to do".

I don't feel the need to insult people and I certainly don't need to give my self esteem a boost. I feel the need to dig you out for being the muppet you are, mainly because no one else does and before you come back with "what am I going to do?", PM me, I'll come and meet you today at a place of your choice and you can sort me out. Otherwise, shut your noise you daft crank.

Starting A Programme Collection

Meanwhile, back to the topic of the thread, .........lets hope that Salford cause an upset, I cannot see it happening personally, but you never know, lots of memories of their old ground in the days of Watkins, & co. Not the souless A J Bell Stadium,and it would be great for them to get to the final, and a good tribute to Koukash who kept them afloat when all looked lost, they do have a small minority of idiot fans (who doesnt) but also a group of fans who have managed to keep the club going over the last few years who deserve some reward, hopefully just a runners up medal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Meanwhile, back to the topic of the thread, .........lets hope that Salford cause an upset, I cannot see it happening personally, but you never know, lots of memories of their old ground in the days of Watkins, & co. Not the souless A J Bell Stadium,and it would be great for them to get to the final, and a good tribute to Koukash who kept them afloat when all looked lost, they do have a small minority of idiot fans (who doesnt) but also a group of fans who have managed to keep the club going over the last few years who deserve some reward, hopefully just a runners up medal.
    Agreed. I don't particularly like Salford but they've done really well this year.

In The South Stand

Good for the game if Salford get to the final. The Crust munchers robotic non rugby doesn't deserve a place at the GF. I've said on a different thread that I thought it would be a Saints Salford final. It will be very difficult for the Munchers to get over that hiding we gave them, both physically and emotionally.

Learning All The Songs

It was only a year to 18 months ago that many were saying they dont deserve to be in and dont bring anything to superleague.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Just want another one of those energy sapping games were its difficult to recover from for the following week, Salford would need one of their best games of the season though to beat the goons at pie dome maybe Watson learnt a lot from our game to work out a plan.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    No I don't, I call you out for being an over opinionated idiot who thinks he's some kind honour defender for the RFL and an authority on all things RL. You're now complaining about having your opinion pulled apart like you continually do to others, who in the main can't be bothered replying to you after a while. You then start with all this that I'm insulting you like a big cry baby, no doubt you'll soon be crying to admin.

Again, with a total lack of irony you call me childlike and insulting when all I did was say give it a rest and stop being being pedantic, I didn't use any bad language or anything so if you find that insulting, I'd say it's you with the childlike tendencies, along with keep asking me "what I'm going to do".

I don't feel the need to insult people and I certainly don't need to give my self esteem a boost. I feel the need to dig you out for being the muppet you are, mainly because no one else does and before you come back with "what am I going to do?", PM me, I'll come and meet you today at a place of your choice and you can sort me out. Otherwise, shut your noise you daft crank.
    Littered with the low level insults such as crank, idiot and muppet whilst claiming you haven't insulted me!

I enjoy the back and forth with posters, most of it enjoyable exchange of views, what makes you different is the persistent insults and stalking like responses to every post, trying to make them out to be controversial such as the start of this exchange.

It's you who has the issue with me or you wouldnt follow me around the board, so the onus isn't on me to contact you or anyone else. As for who is being childish, I have my views, others will have theirs, but I will go back to ignoring your insignificant posts but won't be going away

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    It was only a year to 18 months ago that many were saying they dont deserve to be in and dont bring anything to superleague.

It's a claim you could make for many teams, look at Fev, lots of neutrals saying they will be brilliant for SL. Now whilst I like Feb and respect their history and achievements in the game, if we consider size and scaleability do they bring anymore than most other teams, such as Salford?

Starting A Programme Collection

It's a claim you could make for many teams, look at Fev, lots of neutrals saying they will be brilliant for SL. Now whilst I like Feb and respect their history and achievements in the game, if we consider size and scaleability do they bring anymore than most other teams, such as Salford?
    Sadly Super League now has to have smaller clubs, or else we would just have to resort to about half a dozen clubs playing each other perhaps four times a year to make a meaningful season That is obviously in no ones interest. The game isn't even respected by its main backer Sky. There was a package on last night, advertising a preview of Octobers highlights to come in all sports. Needless to say, even the Grand Final was not promoted. or mentioned The death knell started when they had to do Boots n All in the office canteen, wouldn't even book a studio.

Banned

Littered with the low level insults such as crank, idiot and muppet whilst claiming you haven't insulted me!

I enjoy the back and forth with posters, most of it enjoyable exchange of views, what makes you different is the persistent insults and stalking like responses to every post, trying to make them out to be controversial such as the start of this exchange.

It's you who has the issue with me or you wouldnt follow me around the board, so the onus isn't on me to contact you or anyone else. As for who is being childish, I have my views, others will have theirs, but I will go back to ignoring your insignificant posts but won't be going away
    Ok crank.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 1st October 2019 at 12:00. Reason: Upside's titty lip

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

I'd prefer to play Salford every time , let's just hope they get rid of the other shower first. Plus the fact only one set of spectators to travel , be able to get a pint earlier , I know I'm sad lol.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

I think we've always had weak teams in the top tier, it can't possibly be anything else in probably all sports. I remember Saints playing teams like Liverpool City and others ( I'm sure the forum will mention many others). I even remember Salford being cannon fodder, but look how they've developed. Playing teams four or five times does nothing for me. I don't like loop fixtures or magic Weekend either and I hate the end of season play offs being jerked from pillar to post.
    Miserable sod aren't I?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    I think we've always had weak teams in the top tier, it can't possibly be anything else in probably all sports. I remember Saints playing teams like Liverpool City and others ( I'm sure the forum will mention many others). I even remember Salford being cannon fodder, but look how they've developed. Playing teams four or five times does nothing for me. I don't like loop fixtures or magic Weekend either and I hate the end of season play offs being jerked from pillar to post.
    Miserable sod aren't I?
    No, you're spot on.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Miserable sod aren't I?
    I agree. I always remember a teacher of mine back in the late 80s that used to live in Laurel Road off Dunriding Lane, and invariably they were always in their front yard when we walked past on Sundays to go to games. 'Oh, who are Saints playing today' they'd ask, and I remember that the usual response was 'just Rochdale' or 'just Oldham' etc. The glamour games were glamorous for a reason, because they only came around 3 or 4 times a year.

A league is supposed to have different tiers of quality. We have made it as easy as possible for smaller or less well run clubs to compete by having a salary cap and a play off system. We've done enough, and if some teams can't compete we should just accept it as the way competitive sport is.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Sadly Super League now has to have smaller clubs, or else we would just have to resort to about half a dozen clubs playing each other perhaps four times a year to make a meaningful season That is obviously in no ones interest. The game isn't even respected by its main backer Sky. There was a package on last night, advertising a preview of Octobers highlights to come in all sports. Needless to say, even the Grand Final was not promoted. or mentioned The death knell started when they had to do Boots n All in the office canteen, wouldn't even book a studio.
    Having the show on the canteen was like a short segment of a good show, but that was all we got!

We do miss big teams, Bradford, Toulouse, Toronto, York all have potential to raise our profile and bring in larger numbers. I think Salford could increase their fan base, I'm sure it's grown this year but yes we have to many small clubs in our top tier.

Licensing could bring in the new names, in addition to above we could have Coventry, Newcastle, a Cumbrian merger if that was ever to happen, but I'm not sure that's the solution either.

For now I credit Salford, I really respect what they and Watson ave done this year and good luck to them, we shouldn't underestimate them although they shouldn't have enough to beat Wigan let alone us

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

We do miss big teams, Bradford, Toulouse, Toronto, York all have potential to raise our profile and bring in larger numbers. I think Salford could increase their fan base, I'm sure it's grown this year but yes we have to many small clubs in our top tier.

Licensing could bring in the new names, in addition to above we could have Coventry, Newcastle, a Cumbrian merger if that was ever to happen, but I'm not sure that's the solution either.
    Bradford were only a 'big team' when they were winning trophies. Before it and after it they blended in to the scenery really. Toronto are too young of a club for us to know how long term they will be, although they've had a good start.

Franchising is full of issues IMO because you are investing time, money and hope on an idea instead of a guarantee. Coventry embraced Wasps RU for sure, but there is a stronger RU presence there and Wasps were already a top established contending club that people could latch on to. Starting near the bottom of the ladder in a sport that isn't big is a different matter. Newcastle is the same issue. Gateshead have had half decent teams in the not too distant past but didn't get the crowds, so I'm not sure if a Newcastle team will now either. Newcastle Falcons RU have a presence and a history in the city and they get mediocre crowds most weeks, in an area that has alot of RU fans up in Northumberland and amongst the thousands of students there, as evidenced by the crowd they got at SJP for the England-Italy game. So, how many people can we truly say would watch a club RL team there 15 times a season when an area that gets picked for England RU games and major RU European Finals cannot muster more than 6-7,000 to turn up to watch a RU team 15 times a season?

Where I think we have suffered in the last 3-4 years has been the fact that the genuinely decent sized clubs have not all punched their weight. Leeds have been a mess, Hull have underachieved and Warrington have been up and down from year to year. If Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Hull and Wire all punched their weight we'd not worry as much about how good Wakefield or Hull KR were IMO.

Having the show on the canteen was like a short segment of a good show, but that was all we got!

For now I credit Salford, I really respect what they and Watson ave done this year and good luck to them, we shouldn't underestimate them although they shouldn't have enough to beat Wigan let alone us
    They won't beat Wigan. They'll get found out on Friday.

That said, they're doing really well based on what they've got & I really rate their coach

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Miserable sod aren't I?

You’re not the only one. I’d love 14 teams H and A with top being champions and the a top 4/5 play off for a lesser title.

I have to admit, one thing you can take from this year, is that Wigan are not out until they are out. "Never write off the Pies" flag to be seen at the DW Stadium soon

Given that Wigan just seem to have a history of beating Salford a lot would have to change for history to be rewritten. This Salford team seem to be the best Salford team I can remember and Wigan look like they are a bit out on their feet. However until the final hooter goes in that match I will be expecting Wigan at Old Trafford and for them to be a threat to us.

As I am sure some of our Wigan posters will remind us, big semi final wins don't do anything for you in finals. The cup in 2002 is a great example, when we destroyed Leeds in the semi no one could see us losing the final.

On a more positive note we were beaten 40-4 at Bradford in our qualification semi in 1999 before winning the grand final 8-6 that year.
    Last edited by Noel Cleal; 1st October 2019 at 14:48.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Default You're not wrong

Miserable sod aren't I?
    You're not wrong. 14 teams in the top tier so no need for loop fixtures. Grand final playoffs are like those awful 12 inch remixes of your favourite song in the 80s, 3 extra minutes of drum fills with no other purpose but to get you to pay extra dosh.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Bradford were only a 'big team' when they were winning trophies. Before it and after it they blended in to the scenery really. Toronto are too young of a club for us to know how long term they will be, although they've had a good start.

Franchising is full of issues IMO because you are investing time, money and hope on an idea instead of a guarantee. Coventry embraced Wasps RU for sure, but there is a stronger RU presence there and Wasps were already a top established contending club that people could latch on to. Starting near the bottom of the ladder in a sport that isn't big is a different matter. Newcastle is the same issue. Gateshead have had half decent teams in the not too distant past but didn't get the crowds, so I'm not sure if a Newcastle team will now either. Newcastle Falcons RU have a presence and a history in the city and they get mediocre crowds most weeks, in an area that has alot of RU fans up in Northumberland and amongst the thousands of students there, as evidenced by the crowd they got at SJP for the England-Italy game. So, how many people can we truly say would watch a club RL team there 15 times a season when an area that gets picked for England RU games and major RU European Finals cannot muster more than 6-7,000 to turn up to watch a RU team 15 times a season?

Where I think we have suffered in the last 3-4 years has been the fact that the genuinely decent sized clubs have not all punched their weight. Leeds have been a mess, Hull have underachieved and Warrington have been up and down from year to year. If Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Hull and Wire all punched their weight we'd not worry as much about how good Wakefield or Hull KR were IMO.
    Exactly right about Bradford. I remember Salford being a much bigger side than them. A good response all round. I don't mean to crawl but your posts are about the only lengthy ones I can be bothered to read all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Exactly right about Bradford. I remember Salford being a much bigger side than them. A good response all round. I don't mean to crawl but your posts are about the only lengthy ones I can be bothered to read all the way through.
    Speaking of posts, where is Rogues? Been quiet this week.

And yes, Gray's posts are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Speaking of posts, where is Rogues? Been quiet this week.

And yes, Gray's posts are excellent.
    See the Men's Room. Rogues match pals wife passed away said he was staying off for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    See the Men's Room. Rogues match pals wife passed away said he was staying off for a spell.
    Sorry not looked. Condolences. I must read the threads

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    Tonight’s the night guys, just got a feeling the pies big game experience will get them over the line
    I think Wigan will win as well. But I think it'll be more comfortable than people think. Could be completely wrong though. Wigan 25-6 Salford as a prediction