Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Wigan

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man squad v Wigan

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/09/2...ff-semi-final/

Aaron Smith for Costello the only change to the 19.

St.Helens 19 man squad:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. LMS, 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 20. Jack Ashworth, 21, Aaron Smith, 22. James Bentley, 23. Lachlan Coote.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I assume Smith is there as cover for Roby should he not be right. I hope that Bentley has done enough to keep Paula out.
    I hope JH does not go with Smith on the bench as that limits us. Bentley can fill in at Hooker if Roby breaks down and also offers more versatility should needs be.
    Fit Roby is ok I would leave out Paulo and Smith.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I assume Smith is there as cover for Roby should he not be right. I hope that Bentley has done enough to keep Paula out.
    I hope JH does not go with Smith on the bench as that limits us. Bentley can fill in at Hooker if Roby breaks down and also offers more versatility should needs be.
    Fit Roby is ok I would leave out Paulo and Smith.
    I'd be disappointed if Paulo is close to the 17 as he offers little and in a match against Wigan we can't afford passengers. We know he isn't going to offer much of a physical threat; the bench is definitely going to have LMS and Amor there. That leaves a shoot out between Bentley who should definitely be in and Smith/Ashworth/Paulo. Ashworth has also been disappointing.

Banned

No surprises really. Smith and Paulo to miss out for me.

Have the manky mob named their squad yet?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'd be disappointed if Paulo is close to the 17 as he offers little and in a match against Wigan we can't afford passengers. We know he isn't going to offer much of a physical threat; the bench is definitely going to have LMS and Amor there. That leaves a shoot out between Bentley who should definitely be in and Smith/Ashworth/Paulo. Ashworth has also been disappointing.
    Ashworth will be on the bench. I agree in part about Ashworth but I think he misses playing with Lees. I still rate him and think this will be a good game for him. He makes errors but likes a scrap.
    Bench for me Amor, Ashworth, LMS, Bentley.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/09/2...ff-semi-final/

Aaron Smith for Costello the only change to the 19.

St.Helens 19 man squad:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. LMS, 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 20. Jack Ashworth, 21, Aaron Smith, 22. James Bentley, 23. Lachlan Coote.
    Paulo and Smith to miss out for me. Bench of Amor, LMS, Bentley and Ashworth. I'm sure Bentley can fill in for Roby if need be.

Interesting to see Powell has been named in the Pies 19 man squad. If he plays he certainly won't be 100% so I'd like to see a lot of traffic sent his way.

Banned

Ashworth will be on the bench. I agree in part about Ashworth but I think he misses playing with Lees. I still rate him and think this will be a good game for him. He makes errors but likes a scrap.
    I've just not seen enough from Ashworth to be bought in he's good enough for a tope team. It feels like he built his reputation on one good game at Wakefield and a couple of sporadic performances in between. I've been disappointed because he looks immobile and hasn't really offered enough as a replacement. I'd expect a drop off when Walmsley and Thompson are spelled but the 'gap' shouldn't be as noticeable as it is. I obviously hope I am proved wrong but its time for Ashworth to step up for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    No surprises really. Smith and Paulo to miss out for me.

Have the manky mob named their squad yet?
    Yes they have, full strength apart from Sarginson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Yes they have, full strength apart from Sarginson.
    Cheers. Powell's arm has obviously magically recovered then.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Cheers. Powell's arm has obviously magically recovered then.
    He's shit anyway so hardly important.

Not sure about that. He’s not someone who strikes fear into opponents in terms of how he can hurt them offensively, like Clark for example. But Powell gets through a massive amount of work for Wigan defensively and he’s important to them. Losing him would mean a reshuffle whereby either someone would play at 9 out of position (Williams) or someone massively experienced would play there (Bourouh). So whilst he isn’t someone who I’m worried about particularly, I’d much prefer him to be missing when we play them because of the work he does and the “inconvenience” to Wigan of him not being there.

Edit: Duplicate post, sorry. The signal is dodgy on this Gran Canaria beach

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I’d probably go:

Coote
    Makinson Naquima Percival Grace
    Fages Lomax
    Walmsley Roby Thompson
    Peyroux Taia
    Knowles

LMS Amor Ashworth Bentley

My only concern with leaving Paulo out is that that when Knowles goes off, we won’t have a forward on the field with a passing game and I’m a little bit concerned that we’ll end up just playing one out. Walmsley, Thompson, LMS, Ashworth, Amor etc offer a lot in their own way but there isn’t a lot of ball playing ability there or passing ability. Our attack over the last couple of years has been based around Wilkin/Knowles/Paulo taking the ball to the line and pulling it back to Lomax/Fages out the back. Paulo isn’t as good as Wilkin or Knowles at that, he doesn’t play straight enough and I don’t think he’s as physical but it’s a big change in role for Bentley.

That said, if it throws it down on Friday night we might need to play differently anyway so it might suit us.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Why do i have a feeling Holbrook will pick Paulo in the 17 and leave out Smith and Ashworth, LMS and Amor are guaranteed, i think Bentley has played well enough to get the 3rd bench spot, he also covers Roby if needed. So for me it is 1 of Smith, Ashworth or Paulo and despite how poor he has been this year i think he will go with his experience over the other 2.

Banned

Losing him would mean a reshuffle whereby either someone would play at 9 out of position (Williams) or someone massively experienced would play there (Bourouh).
    Wouldn't they just play Leuluai at hooker?

He's better there anyway IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I’d probably go:

Coote
    Makinson Naquima Percival Grace
    Fages Lomax
    Walmsley Roby Thompson
    Peyroux Taia
    Knowles

LMS Amor Ashworth Bentley

My only concern with leaving Paulo out is that there isn’t any way of changing our attack and I’m a little bit concerned that we’ll end up just playing one out. Walmsley, Thompson, LMS, Ashworth, Amor etc offer a lot in their own way but there isn’t a lot of ball playing ability there or passing ability. Our attack over the last couple of years has been based around Wilkin/Knowles/Paulo taking the ball to the line and pulling it back to Lomax/Fages out the back. Paulo isn’t as good as Wilkin or Knowles at that, he doesn’t play straight enough and I don’t think he’s as physical but it’s a big change in role for Bentley.
    Good point re Paulo, I just think it’s going to be a rough and tough affair and Bentley will suit that

Banned

Thanks for telling us that

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Why do i have a feeling Holbrook will pick Paulo in the 17 and leave out Smith and Ashworth, LMS and Amor are guaranteed, i think Bentley has played well enough to get the 3rd bench spot, he also covers Roby if needed. So for me it is 1 of Smith, Ashworth or Paulo and despite how poor he has been this year i think he will go with his experience over the other 2.
    Yes Paulo has been distinctly average but so has Ashworth for me.
    Luckily for Ashworth he still has age on his side and showed his potential last year, for whatever reason he hasn’t progressed this year though. I’d have Paulo over Ashworth this week.

Bench: LMS, Amor, Bentley, Paulo

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I still think he looks like a former centre who’s playing in the front row, it doesn’t look natural for him yet and some of the finer detail in his game is still a bit messy, particularly defensively.

But he runs hard, he gets stuck in and he’s got some pace as well so I think he’s worth sticking with.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

It will be typical Wigan on Friday. Linespeed, slow down tactics around the ruck and exceptional defence. That said they are distinctly average with ball in hand.
    I wouldn’t be adverse to playing Paulo off the bench to bring some variety when Knowles is off the field. We haven’t got another effective 13 when he’s off the field other than head down and charge merchants. That isn’t going to work in a tight playoff game, we need to get the back wider and get Lomax running with the ball in space.

Ashworth has really disappointed me. I rate Lees massively but never imagined just how much we’d miss his aggression and durability off the bench. I thought Ashworth would develop this season but he’s been average imo and lacks the aggression we need off the bench. He’s shown it in glimpses but nowhere near the consistently we require, so much so Amor is ahead of him again selection wise. The performances of Amor & Ashworth will be of great scrutiny against what will be a highly motivated aggressive Wigan pack. Hopefully they’re both capable of standing up to it.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Wouldn't they just play Leuluai at hooker?

He's better there anyway IMO.
    And who in the halves? Either way it’s a reshuffle they could do without. I mentioned Williams at 9 as that’s what they did last week when Powell went off.

Hope you’ve not booked with Thomas Cook

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Hope you’ve not booked with Thomas Cook
    Haha no don’t worry i’ll be back soon enough.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I've just not seen enough from Ashworth to be bought in he's good enough for a tope team. It feels like he built his reputation on one good game at Wakefield and a couple of sporadic performances in between. I've been disappointed because he looks immobile and hasn't really offered enough as a replacement. I'd expect a drop off when Walmsley and Thompson are spelled but the 'gap' shouldn't be as noticeable as it is. I obviously hope I am proved wrong but its time for Ashworth to step up for me.
    A little bit like yourself I am still hoping Ashworth will fulfill early potential, though he has looked lazy in his last few appearances. I have been slated on here for saying I'm not sure Bentley is big enough for SR, I still wouldn't have him as a regular starting SR, unless the rest of the pack are massive, but I think he should be in the 19 every week. Paulo hasn't done anything to deserve a spot. If he does play I hope he proves me wrong.

Learning All The Songs

I hope Peyroux has been spending a lot of time with the tackle bags over the last week or so. His tackling can be poor and a SF is not the time to miss a shed load of them.