Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Memories

Got A Season Ticket

Certainly do and the away game at Watersheddings.
    I went to the away fixture on the coach with my mate Shaun Allen. Couple of years later he was playing alongside Mal Meninga!
    Wigan in Division 2��

Banned

Yes the great team of the seventies had grown old together and with it came recession and depression in the town. The club in that social and political background just couldn't hold its place in the elite of the sport. Hull remarkably in this era had a strong economy and the two clubs thrived like never before with amazing away support. Widnes has strong backing from ICI who still had a thriving business model.

This is meant as no disrespect to the lads I will mention but Parkes, Litherland and Hope pretty much summed up how we just could not compete. The Saints nor Wigan for that matter did not now have the financial clout to raid Leigh for Johnny Woods and the rot set in for a decade, but especially 1980 till 1983 everything not just Saints seemed chaotic.

I still attended home and away and generally enjoyed it with lads like Arky and Roy Hag good youngsters who kept us in the elite league and we still played good football.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    I remember the season, but am surprised that the attendances that year were so bad if the history as recorded on this site is correct, Thomas Coslett named as the coach on the summary at the top of the site! I know it's his first name but I doubt he's ever been called by it. Just over 4,000 for a Boxing Day match (Wigan were in the 2ndDivision) doesn't seem right, unless it was a really awfull day. By the way the Board reported a record loss of £126,000 that year, just imagine how that would be in today's money. Wigan and Saints tried to get Murphy to leave Leigh where he was coach, but he turned both clubs down at first before renegeing on a contract at Leigh to go to Wigan, and some people still wanted him as the statue at Saints!