Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Justin Holbrook

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I have considered everyone else's opinions yes, I couldn't challenge if I hadn't. Challenging a view isnt simply rubbishing it, if so every alternate opinion would somehow be rubbishing, it may be for you but not for me, I enjoy discussing and hearing alternate opinions even if I don't agree

I've said my Newcastle is the great advert for spreading the game, their community it's work is excellent

The game needs bigger names, I would have liked Swinton to have the Manchester name change

I've spoken about the youth set ups and the good engagement

I've pointed out many good things that are happening, I guess having a more positive opinion of the work going on means I have less to suggest for improvement than those who continually blame and point fingers

I've spoken about tv money being the biggest thing we need to concentrate for our immediate future

I don't believe it's lazy to call out 'some other posters' (as opposed to everyone else as you claimed) it's the opposite, it would be far lazier to just agree with everyone

The problem with surrounding yourself with people who agree with you or never challenge you is you never get to question your own understanding or challenge your own thoughts and opinions. If this board only seeks those of the same opinion the value to readers is massively compromised
    Whatever. I can't be bothered reading your long winded rubbish.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Whatever. I can't be bothered reading your long winded rubbish.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

[QUOTE=Upside;776173]
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post

You embarrassed for me? I'm confident enough in my own opinion and to share it. I've challenged your views and your resorted to these continual insults rather than to have a decent respectful discussion on differing views, and then you have decided to walk away.

The only thing I care about is the growth of this great sport, not your opinion of me or your attempts to belittle me, they reflect more on you than me.
    The highlighted portion is an understatement. You express every one of you opinions as though it's fact. You challenge virtually every post you comment on, and then you write the parliamentary equivalent of a filibuster so no one can be bothered reading it and contradicting you.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Why is it you struggle to accept reality and try to spin everything? It comes across as some sort of personal mission which I think is misplaced. Almost like that scene in Blackadder goes Forth... ‘A staunch refusal to look facts in the face will see us through.’ You say lazy accusations thrown at the RFL mean people don’t take accountability, but where the RFL are concerned they have’nt for years.
    Just taking a handful of your points:

1. Commercial profile of the sport. It wasn’t so long ago Big Mac expressed one of the greatest dangers to RL is its struggles to attract business partners who can generate the revenues needed across all levels of the sport. Your point on ‘sponsorship’ (Id recommend consigning that term to the last millennium) is actually an indictment of the sports leadership because it infers that those people have failed to make the sport an attractive commercial proposition to partners we need to improve both the perception and the balance sheet.

At one time RL had an unspectacular but solid portfolio of partners at club and ‘governingÂ’ level but far from this improving it appears to have gotten worse. Off the back of the disastrous Stobart deal, which should be an individual example of how not to manage a sport, the sport can only attract the ‘tabooÂ’ partners like alcohol, betting and tobacco or ‘bargain basementÂ’ like Dacia, Mushy Peas etc. Id doubt these sports generate significant income needed to grow the sport not create the impression of a vibrant, fashionable sport. Whether its a tough job to improve this situation matters little. Its been the responsibility of the RFL in the past to do just this and they failed so spectacularly that the SuperLeague clubs recently chose to manage their own commercial interests. Their confidence in the sports leadership was lowered to the point that they effectively said ‘enough is enough, we can do better.’ Whether Robert Elstone delivers the improvement needed remains to be seen. Its going to take time to repair the damage IMO.

2. Rule changes. Though I accept the shot clock is a step forward its been obvious to many that its been needed for years. The simple fact theres been so many rule changes (and ones coincidentally off the field as well) indicates a sport lacking confidence in its product. To me a lot of this relentless change has alienated the sports followers, especially where play offs are concerned which continue to be a failure. Over this weekend, at the point ‘it matters,’ the fans one of those clubs were so underwhelmed they rewarded their club with its lowest crowd of the season.

The rule changes and innovations often appear as ill conceived gimmicks; almost as if those brokering the TV deals either use them as a desperation selling point or worse, accept them when put forward by our broadcasters.

For me its panic stations in RL at the moment and Im reluctant to pretend problems donÂ’t exist or can be swept away by spirious positivity because they cant. People calling out failure isnt negative, in fact it’s absolutely crucial to influence change in the right direction.
    Your points are made well eddie but the attraction of "taboo" buisness partners is a problem. Someone posted a brilliant ( I think it was Simonstylites) dissection of blue chip companies a while back when this same topic was being discussed. I agree these companies are not vogue but they are money deals especially the Betfred one.
    The analogies often given with soccer are unfair as that is a world sport, a poor viewing sport but a world one nonetheless.
    We are a unique niche sport that needs to be sold on that, the on field rule changes have been ongoing for many years, the scoot from dummy half does not encourage ball handlers, the two markers to not give the defensive side the edge, these are adaptations to try to give a better spectacle. Whether it works is debatable but it is part of progression that certain players adapt styles for.
    We need grassroots and community involvement, this has to be our plan acroos the sport, it has to be done in all areas not isolated heartlands. Are the present incumbents doing this I don`t think so, there has to be change and it needs to be shortly.

Banned

Great reply!

Go away and argue with your lawn about how green it is.

Learning All The Songs

Great reply!

Similar frustration with that, have granite cobble lock that is green with moss.

Learning All The Songs

Great reply!

My lawn is very bad. Needs root and leaf transformation. Not sure the Cornish Lawn Recuperation team are up to the job. They are all incompetent. The CLR probably need a better marketing team. Still Holbrook is soooo good I plan to give him a better offer, if he brings Luke Thompson with him. Cornwall is nearly as nice as Thatto Heath at this time of year and way better than anything Aus has to offer.

I could go on at massive length but I'm boring myself

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    My lawn is very bad. Needs root and leaf transformation. Not sure the Cornish Lawn Recuperation team are up to the job. They are all incompetent. The CLR probably need a better marketing team. Still Holbrook is soooo good I plan to give him a better offer, if he brings Luke Thompson with him. Cornwall is nearly as nice as Thatto Heath at this time of year and way better than anything Aus has to offer.

I could go on at massive length but I'm boring myself
    So does my head.

Upside
    Non Members

[QUOTE=Belgian Saint;776197]
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post

The highlighted portion is an understatement. You express every one of you opinions as though it's fact You challenge virtually every post you comment on, and then you write the parliamentary equivalent of a filibuster so no one can be bothered reading it and contradicting you.
    Not really, I often start or end a statement with 'I believe' or 'IMO'

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    We need grassroots and community involvement, this has to be our plan acroos the sport, it has to be done in all areas not isolated heartlands. Are the present incumbents doing this I don`t think so, there has to be change and it needs to be shortly.
    Fully agree with this, if you look at Newcastle and London it's a great example of generating grass roots rugby league and engagement. For every young player who comes through the system we gain several fans as their parents, siblings, cousins, friends etc all come to watch, this builds a solid fan base. Newcastle use a system of video at youth training giving points for creative play, a brilliant engagement tool.

Coventry are equallyntrying to engage the community and have been doing it with wasps , I think that's the union team in the area, showing good collaboration.

These are great methods of building your fan base, increasing player pool and community engagement all through the professional clubs

Starting A Programme Collection

A good way to increase fan base is get topless darts at half time! Worked in the Duke of Cambridge !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    A good way to increase fan base is get topless darts at half time! Worked in the Duke of Cambridge !
    Be a bit parky in the early season games. The darts wouldn't be the only thing with sharp tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Who wants to see fat drunk blokes playing darts with no shirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    Who wants to see fat drunk blokes playing darts with no shirt?

Bit sexist that is ����������
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holbrook has been a breath of fresh air to Saints, both on and off the pitch. I wish him well and only hope Woolf can improve on things? Big ask is that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I think we might play a more aggressive style under woolfe
    I'm not too sure of that at the start of his tenure at Saints? But now that the Tongan Prime Minster is asking for him to return, again, to also coach Tonga, he may have the opportunity to attract some of the real big guns from the NRL who are attached to Tonga?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

And with all things Tongan they've just had the RLIF licence suspended

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    And with all things Tongan they've just had the RLIF licence suspended
    Nigel Woods, now the RLIF Chairman, met the Tonga Prime Minster last week who asked the RLIF to recognise a new governing body in Tonga.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Nigel Woods, now the RLIF Chairman, met the Tonga Prime Minster last week who asked the RLIF to recognise a new governing body in Tonga.
    Can you imagine the buffet at that pow-wow, big Nige in a grass skirt, inhaling suckling pigs one after the other.

Can you imagine the buffet at that pow-wow, big Nige in a grass skirt, inhaling suckling pigs one after the other.
    Hahah, I must admit Dave that I was tempted not to come back with my reply to paulscnthorp, when I realised I had to mention Mr Creosote!!!!!!