Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: And so its Pie time

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Both teams know they have Salford or Cas at home next week if they lose, and I think if we can get a decent start and a lead that plays into it. It's a bigger game for us IMO as we need to prove we can win the big games, and even though I would expect us to win next week if we lose, I think we'll go into the GF under loads of pressure knowing Wigan had done us two weeks previously. Wigan on the other hand will still think they can beat us at OT if they lose on Friday, and may well start thinking of next week if we get off to a fast start and have a good lead at HT.
    Agree with all this. The only thing that worries me a bit is the fact that we've had a week off, and although I agree we need to beat them for the confidence factor, we are renowned for suffering after a week off, so another one next week may not necessarily be an advantage. On the flip side, assuming we get no injuries this week, if we won we'd be going into the final with no real knocks or niggles you'd hope. But add to that Coote, Roby and a couple of others haven't played much in the last couple of months and it is a concern. Catch 22 situation really.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Agree with all this. The only thing that worries me a bit is the fact that we've had a week off, and although I agree we need to beat them for the confidence factor, we are renowned for suffering after a week off, so another one next week may not necessarily be an advantage. On the flip side, assuming we get no injuries this week, if we won we'd be going into the final with no real knocks or niggles you'd hope. But add to that Coote, Roby and a couple of others haven't played much in the last couple of months and it is a concern. Catch 22 situation really.
    I think we are in a lot better place then we were in the build up to Wembley though Claire. All those you mentioned should be up to speed by now & match fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I think we are in a lot better place then we were in the build up to Wembley though Claire. All those you mentioned should be up to speed by now & match fit.
    That's true, I just think we go better when we have continuity than stop start. Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I've no concerns at all about friday, might sound over confident but really can't see us losing
    I hope the players have learnt more from Wembley than you!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Weve had these discussions before Prez, I understand your point and accept teams make errors when playing catch up. Had we been awarded a try it would have been different, but how much different we will never know. I still feel we cannot excuse the high amount of errors purely on the ref or the failure to go to the screen, we still had lots in our control and didn't do it well enough to get the win IMO. I think wire were better on the day and deserve their win, what we have to do is to use this experience to drive us to win the SL, it could be the experience that sets up the win
    As you say, we've had this discussion before, and neither of us will change our perceptions, so we'll have to agree to disagree, no problem.

Banned

I've no concerns at all about friday, might sound over confident but really can't see us losing
    Really? Inclement weather? Foul language? Lack of gender neutral toilets?

Wembley I'm sure was just a blip, you and i both know we are miles better than that
    I honestly don’t know if we are miles better than what we showed at Wembley. It was a very similar performance to what we’ve done in the league all year. Made loads of metres and a quite a few errors. Maybe one or two more errors than normal but you’d expect that with the greater amount of tension

It was a pretty standard Saints performance against a team prepared to do anything to win - something you don’t see every week

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Wigan are built around their defence and how they constantly turn up. They have enough quality to gain a few scores and in knockout football it can win you silverware as they've shown over recent years. They've never really looked the best team in the comp for a few years now but they've done well when the pots are handed out. Much better than ourselves.

My concern with them is their defence and us being unable to break them down, once doubt sets in the tide turns and they catch a score or 2 and grind it out of us.

I wonder if everyone who's saying they aren't worried about Wigan were the same people who weren't worried about wire? I mean there's short memories but we're literally a couple of weeks from the last one. Always respect the enemy, it will be an interesting end to the season as we've not played them for a while now, they seem better with their forwards since they got rid of some puddings and that smithies is having some really good form, where as we've got weaker with loosing Lees. We've also been a bit off the boil for a while with quite a few errors in games.

We've had some great performances against them this year I'm hoping we've just got too much for them and that scramble they have can only take them so far. I think it will be a close game myself.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I hear what you're saying, but i think wigan will be more worried about us than we will be about them
    One thing's for sure we're going to find out one way or another about our sides mental toughness when it comes to big games. If we come away from this year empty, after being miles ahead in the league for 2 seasons you'll know who's really worried about who

I honestly don't see why we should be "worried"
    I'm not saying it is going to be easy or a foregone conclusion and we should prepare to tough it out in golden point if that's what it takes but worried? No.
    Maybe they should be worried about coming to the ground where the home team are undefeated and 8 wins better than them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I take great heart from our form post wembley,, Castleford and hull threw the kitchen sink at us, but if my memory serves me right, we only conceded 6 points in total
    We've got the best defence in Superleague but in the big games its overworked, and all that is down to errors in the wrong part of the pitch, the goons strength is on the edges so I can't see them wanting to work too much down the middle.

The way we play is always going to be inviting errors in our game, we just need to work the percentages and compose a bit better, for me if we can keep errors to single figures then we are very much in the game. The fact that is the big derby match will eradicate any complacency, if we can make this an energy sapping battle and win then the goons could overcooked for their final play off next week.

Learning All The Songs

I expect Grace to be peppered with a few high ones. I hope our tactical kicking has been sorted out, and Roby tells the players when he’s going to kick it. I’m very confident and i think we’ll wipe the floor with them, so Saints by 20. I’d love a Cas v Saints final.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Really? Al dropped the ball so much I didn’t believe it and Thommo didn’t have the go-forward I’m used to seeing......

They were average imho based on the fact that they are usually fantastic, and an average game looks worse
    That may be the crux of the matter RJM25R they were not brilliant, just very good. Alex put down two (that I remember) but the important one was centre field in their half on the second tackle when we were mauling them. In fairness he had just set up the roll for the break with Tommy and Kev that nearly led to a try. I did not think our pack was to blame for the defeat (unlike Catalan last year) the ball players lacked composure and were off with their timing. I firmly believe we will not have that many play makers having bad days together again in the same match.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Both teams know they have Salford or Cas at home next week if they lose, and I think if we can get a decent start and a lead that plays into it. It's a bigger game for us IMO as we need to prove we can win the big games, and even though I would expect us to win next week if we lose, I think we'll go into the GF under loads of pressure knowing Wigan had done us two weeks previously. Wigan on the other hand will still think they can beat us at OT if they lose on Friday, and may well start thinking of next week if we get off to a fast start and have a good lead at HT.
    This post bring on some really depressing thoughts, but can't argue with it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    At times over the past few years we have looked like we needed a week off. but most time after a break we look like a well oiled machine gone rusty. My biggest concern is if we don't win the GF, which I think we will, what does that do for our mentality next season?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I think we will win comfortably on Friday. That doesn’t win us a trophy though. Heaven knows what will happen at Old Trafford.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

We’ve got a speed and an athleticism advantage over them IMO, I think we’ve got better ball carriers across the field. We’re capable of playing the game quicker than they are. When Walmsley and Thompson are on the field, that advantage is more significant so we need to start the game well.

None of that will count for anything though if we continue to make the errors or the number of errors that we have been. It has and will continue to cost us big games if it isn’t addressed.

If we keep hold of the ball for long enough, opportunities will come off the back of it. Stick to the game plan and be patient.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think we will win comfortably on Friday. That doesn’t win us a trophy though. Heaven knows what will happen at Old Trafford.
    I think it will be close. The weather looks to be raining all week and will be raining Friday night so that will be a leveller and will slow the game down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I think it will be close. The weather looks to be raining all week and will be raining Friday night so that will be a leveller and will slow the game down.
    If that’s the case we’ve got a problem IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Wembley I'm sure was just a blip, you and i both know we are miles better than that
    In the truly big games we've played in recent years Wembley wasn't a blip, it was the norm.

We have to hope we have two big performances in us to destroy that recent record of not performing on the highest stage.

Referee is Kendall.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Yeh thats a possibility mate. Wigan usually get a win over us at our place late in the year but i can’t see it this Friday. Im not sure the weather will hurt us any more than it does Wigan. If its a forward battle we are well equipped in that department too.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Referee is Kendall.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Referee is Kendall.
    I wonder if he’s been to the DW for tea and biscuits yet?

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I wonder if he’s been to the DW for tea and biscuits yet?
    Surely they'd ask him round for a pie and pea wet?