Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: And so its Pie time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Saints are also excellent in defence.
    To be honest, though Wigan slid well I was encouraged by how easily Salford earned good field position. The key will be to remain patient inside the 20, play off rugby is much tighter and defence orientated than league games. Hopefully we respect the ball because i think outlr forwards will create opportunities all game.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    17 errors
    All made by Hicks, or were his errors just the game changing ones?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    All made by Hicks, or were his errors just the game changing ones?
    17 errors by the team

Warrington were better than us on the day, it may be hard for some fans to accept but it's what happened

Learning All The Songs

Sam Powell has apparently got over his broken arm and will play this week as does Tony Clubb who went in late on Jackson Hastings whilst scoring his try at the weekend but because they kissed and made up will be free also to play this Friday?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Every time I've seen them this season I've thought Wigan look terrible. Absolutely terrible. Their pack is just awful, even the senior players. O'Loughlin is obviously a former world class player but he's not the force he was, the others aren't anything to be concerned about. Their backs are the same bar Williams and French going on their own. But Wigan's style, very conservative with the ball and ultra aggressive in defense is perfect for 'big game' rugby. It ensures that games will always be tight and if you stay in games and apply pressure eventually you'll score from a mistake, a defender falling asleep or from a kick.

We've got to counter their aggression somehow. We've got to give it back to them and stand up firmly to anything that happens early on in games. We need to be more composed than we have recently and actually take our chances. We should be on top generally against Wigan and need to exploit any chances, as they will when they get them.

It'd be mighty nice to actually see players like Lomax and Coote turn up in a big game and we should have a real go at the first semi, no holding back. If we lose I'd write the season off personally, if they beat us at home they'll beat us at Old Trafford. This season is 95% certain to end with nothing won again but I'd just like to see us have a real go for once. Really give it to them and leave nothing out there.
    We had Warrington battered in the first 25 mins at Wembley. Roby, Lomax and Coote had bad days, they will not do that again, we will win easily against Wigan this week. This will not help us at OT where nerves could play a part, this my only concern but I think we are better for the Wembley defeat, we played simple smothering rugby in the first few ganes of the season, we can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    We had Warrington battered in the first 25 mins at Wembley. Roby, Lomax and Coote had bad days, they will not do that again, we will win easily against Wigan this week. This will not help us at OT where nerves could play a part, this my only concern but I think we are better for the Wembley defeat, we played simple smothering rugby in the first few ganes of the season, we can do it.
    If we’d taken that early lead it would likely have been different....

It’s unlikely for Coote, Lomax and Roby to all have a bad game again on Tte same day and Thompson/Walmsley to be ineffective So I see us winning a tight game by 6 points or so.

Wigan’s defence will keep them in it but the reality is they struggle going forward at the moment.

Going up the middle with a kick to the corner needs to be utilized and Coote needs to be careful with that cutout pass because Wigan have got the wingers who love an intercept......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Sam Powell has apparently got over his broken arm and will play this week as does Tony Clubb who went in late on Jackson Hastings whilst scoring his try at the weekend but because they kissed and made up will be free also to play this Friday?
    Powell is shit anyway so I couldn't care less.

Noooobie

Worth remembering that Wigan are hitting form and getting decent results against teams who might as well be in a league below us this year. This weeks result will be entirely down to attitude. I dont believe the pies can match saints in any single position on the pitch and are entirely reliant on a strong defence to keep them in a game. They are a very one dimensional team. Saints undoubtedly have the strike to score and I think if saints get two scores in front, then I think its game over and wigan will have an eye on next weeks game. If saints lose this after the CC defeat, for me you would have to ask some serious questions about the mental robustness of the team. That said, I think we have enough class to beat them by 12+

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

It’s unlikely for Coote, Lomax and Roby to all have a bad game again on Tte same day and Thompson/Walmsley to be ineffective So I see us winning a tight game by 6 points or so.

Wigan’s defence will keep them in it but the reality is they struggle going forward at the moment.

Going up the middle with a kick to the corner needs to be utilized and Coote needs to be careful with that cutout pass because Wigan have got the wingers who love an intercept......
    I thought Walmsley/Thompson were good at Wembley, the only player in our pack who was not at their best that day was Peyroux (not been since) and Roby put the worst handling display he has ever done in a Saints shirt.
    It will not happen again that our ball promoters will all be off together on the same day.
    As said earlier the rustiness from lack of games is my only worry, Jonny is usually "clunky" after a week off, his timing goes awry for some reason, the following week he is almost always MOM after that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St Dave of Sutton Village View Post
    Worth remembering that Wigan are hitting form and getting decent results against teams who might as well be in a league below us this year. This weeks result will be entirely down to attitude. I dont believe the pies can match saints in any single position on the pitch and are entirely reliant on a strong defence to keep them in a game. They are a very one dimensional team. Saints undoubtedly have the strike to score and I think if saints get two scores in front, then I think its game over and wigan will have an eye on next weeks game. If saints lose this after the CC defeat, for me you would have to ask some serious questions about the mental robustness of the team. That said, I think we have enough class to beat them by 12+
    The player I'd recommend needs keeping an eye on is Gildart. Looks in good form and is an elusive runner of the ball.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

It's going to a be a tough game on Friday because Wigan's defence is very resilient and will be tough to crack. We need to be patient, kick well, be aggressive and put them under pressure. If we do that, they will crack because we've got so many attacking weapons that can cause problems.

Our systems have worked all season, so for Saints its about believing in ourselves and doing what has worked so well for us. I'm not sure how the week off will have worked for us its difficult to say, we'll know quite early because I think that's where Wigan will try and catch us to test whether we're battle hardened or not. If anybody recalls the last league game against Wigan, they flew out the traps early on but we handled everything they had and then punished them. We'll probably have to do similar this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

If we play as a team like we have most of the season then we won’t have a problem. But if we play as individuals like at Wembley then it’ll be a painful sight.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I still think Wigan are overrated.
    Man for man I think we are better.
    16pts clear and 100% at home all season.
    Played 3 won 3 v Wigan this season.
    I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion but I can't think for a minute why we should be anything but confident.
    Despite your facts which give me optimism, abysmal displays when the pressure has been on us against Catalan, Warrington (2018 home semi), Halifax and Warrington (CC Cup Final) will mean people are, rightfully imo, concerned about this team's ability to keep composed and win when it matters. I can just as easily see us making silly errors and being ground down as I can winning by 12-18. No idea what's going to happen as you never know with us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
    Despite your facts which give me optimism, abysmal displays when the pressure has been on us against Catalan, Warrington (2018 home semi), Halifax and Warrington (CC Cup Final) will mean people are, rightfully imo, concerned about this team's ability to keep composed and win when it matters. I can just as easily see us making silly errors and being ground down as I can winning by 12-18. No idea what's going to happen as you never know with us.
    It adds to the excitement then. Who wants to go knowing we're going to win? It defeats the object of supporting a club if you already know the result. I don't really like or agree with the play offs but this is what our season comes down to, and after a long and sometimes boring season it is quite exciting.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    17 errors by the team

Warrington were better than us on the day, it may be hard for some fans to accept but it's what happened
    Probably 71 by Hicks. Saints made errors because appalling officiating ensured they had to play catch up rugby. Rather similar to the way Warrington made errors when playing catch up against Castleford (Wire had to leave their hugely entertaining five drives and a kick style and give the ball some air). What I find hard to accept is the appalling standard of officiating by Robert Hicks, who can apologise to teams for getting the put in at the scrum wrong, yet remain stoically silent upon glaring errors made in a showpiece final. I'm probably just a deluded Saints fan though!

Banned

Probably 71 by Hicks. Saints made errors because appalling officiating ensured they had to play catch up rugby. Rather similar to the way Warrington made errors when playing catch up against Castleford (Wire had to leave their hugely entertaining five drives and a kick style and give the ball some air). What I find hard to accept is the appalling standard of officiating by Robert Hicks, who can apologise to teams for getting the put in at the scrum wrong, yet remain stoically silent upon glaring errors made in a showpiece final. I'm probably just a deluded Saints fan though!
    Yes mate, those are facts but Upside won't let something as trivial as that get in the way of him defending a referee.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 23rd September 2019 at 17:13. Reason: RG using a mobility scooter

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I think wire did a good job on those players rather than the playing badly there were snuffed out. I'm sure we will learn from that day and the tactics to be better in the GF should we get there

I'm confident in the boys to do the job

Upside
    Non Members

Weve had these discussions before Prez, I understand your point and accept teams make errors when playing catch up. Had we been awarded a try it would have been different, but how much different we will never know. I still feel we cannot excuse the high amount of errors purely on the ref or the failure to go to the screen, we still had lots in our control and didn't do it well enough to get the win IMO. I think wire were better on the day and deserve their win, what we have to do is to use this experience to drive us to win the SL, it could be the experience that sets up the win

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

My only fear regarding the play offs is if we we are able to beat Wigan on friday , can we back it up by beating them at Old Trafford should they win play off eliminator the following week.

An entire season undeafeted against wigan. Rub what ever lucky trinkets you have folks, its gonna be a fun ride!!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    My only fear regarding the play offs is if we we are able to beat Wigan on friday , can we back it up by beating them at Old Trafford should they win play off eliminator the following week.

An entire season undeafeted against wigan. Rub what ever lucky trinkets you have folks, its gonna be a fun ride!!
    Our best possible chance of winning SL again is to beat them on Friday and have them beaten by Cas or Salford the week after. That would be like a dream, unlikely to happen but you never know.

Got A Season Ticket

On paper we should win easily but we all know it won’t be. They have a knack of being allowed to slow us down, getting away with being offside and generally putting us off our game. Never a given playing them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nutgrovesaint View Post
    On paper we should win easily but we all know it won’t be. They have a knack of being allowed to slow us down, getting away with being offside and generally putting us off our game. Never a given playing them.
    There's no knack to if they're allowed to slow us down and play offside. It's •••• poor refereeing.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 23rd September 2019 at 21:18. Reason: RD looking like he really likes kebabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I thought Walmsley/Thompson were good at Wembley.

Really? Al dropped the ball so much I didn’t believe it and Thommo didn’t have the go-forward I’m used to seeing......

They were average imho based on the fact that they are usually fantastic, and an average game looks worse
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Thompson made 150m and 50 tackles at Wembley. He was probably the best player from either side in terms of output

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Both teams know they have Salford or Cas at home next week if they lose, and I think if we can get a decent start and a lead that plays into it. It's a bigger game for us IMO as we need to prove we can win the big games, and even though I would expect us to win next week if we lose, I think we'll go into the GF under loads of pressure knowing Wigan had done us two weeks previously. Wigan on the other hand will still think they can beat us at OT if they lose on Friday, and may well start thinking of next week if we get off to a fast start and have a good lead at HT.