Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Richardson

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Very true, but you can’t keep players stockpiled for every eventuality. I think losing a key playmaker for any team is as good as season over, it’s just a big slice of bad luck
    Give over, explain 2014 then.

Warrington have Ratchford, Widdop, Austin and Patton for next season. That's good depth in the playmaking positions as Ratchford is covered by Widdop and Mamo, Widdop and Austin by Patton.

We've got Coote, Lomax and Fages now to last all season. Welsby for Coote would be okay for the majority of the regular season, but would make it hard to win big Cup and Play off games. We really need some proper cover in the halves, madness to go into a season with only two players in that position. That is if the kids coming through aren't ready. If they are then fine.

I really don't see why we didn't keep Danny for next season and use him to incentivise Theo and keep him on his toes. Keep Danny motivated by telling him the shirt would be his and a big new deal awaits if he wins the shirt. Sure he may have signed elsewhere when he was able to, but now we've got two halfbacks who are unchallenged and guaranteed a game and three main playmaking positions with no real cover.

Starting A Programme Collection

Thank God it is official & he is now a Cas player . Can't wait for next season when we play Cas . Hope it is televised .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Its nice to have depth but we had plenty depth under Cunningham but the quality was diluted. Plus in a salary capped sport its important to get right the blend between quality and quantity. We seem to have been pretty lucky with injuries over the past 2 years (touch wood) compared with some teams. We should now be throwing Richardsons money at the likes of Lees and Ashworth or using it to keep Thompson. Apparently money isn’t an incentive for Thompson but its nice to be able to offer him more if we need to. I wonder how much wasted money we have tied up in Paulo?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

Warrington have Ratchford, Widdop, Austin and Patton for next season. That's good depth in the playmaking positions as Ratchford is covered by Widdop and Mamo, Widdop and Austin by Patton.
    Wire want rid of Patton and there is talk he is off to Union. They need to improve their forwards so they won't be able to keep all their backs together to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened!
    I really don't see why we didn't keep Danny for next season and use him to incentivise Theo and keep him on his toes. Keep Danny motivated by telling him the shirt would be his and a big new deal awaits if he wins the shirt. Sure he may have signed elsewhere when he was able to, but now we've got two halfbacks who are unchallenged and guaranteed a game and three main playmaking positions with no real cover.
    https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...9-2019-behind/

I think this interview is quite telling. He states in there he wants to be playing every week therefore he can't have had the assurances from Saints that he was a guaranteed starter. I imagine he's made the decision to leave once Cas showed interest and Saints have let him go as a result. It's a risk from us but Saints must have faith in Welsby and Dodd to step in should we pick up an injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    He should have been introduced like welsby. He was thrown in as starting 7 at a title contending team. He's going to get criticism, were not in a position to carry someone till their ready at scrum half. Its too important, you can't have it both ways unfortunately. Cas could be playing the long game with those 2 and it could pay off in the long run but can you see them winning silverware with 2 young lads at the helm these next couple of years? He's had a taste of first team, we can't keep him as backup anymore, the lad wanted to move on.
    Wasn't it Cunningham who said Richardson is ready for Superleague and when he left that direction was accelerated by Longy. He had a great 15 game spell but started to get targeted by the opposition, what really was needed was a couple of games out of the first team and use Smith or Fages for a spell. You could say Holbrook showed indecision to change things and kept plodding away with the first 17, you might get away with it with experienced players but not with a player who had only played 30 super league games at the time.

It wouldn't surprise me if that Richardson has a good starting spell at Castleford then maybe lose form will Powell do things differently if that situation arises. The Cas v Saints game is going to be interesting.

In The West Stand

Currently our 25 man squad for next year will probably look like

Coote
    Makinson Naiqama Percival Grace
    Lomax Fages
    Thompson Roby Walmsley
    Bentley Peyroux
    Knowles

Smith Taia LMS Lees

Welbsy Simm Costello Dodd
    Eaves LMS Paulo Amor (Batchelor, Ashworth)

Yes the cover for the backs are very young, but highly rated, and will do the job for the all but the most serious of injuries imo. There would be no point bringing in a Jack Owens style cover option at halfback just to stop the kids being thrown in at the deep end, as we’ve all seen where that would lead to. Competition in the forwards next year will already be pretty intense.

A marquee halfback would be great though harsh on Fages (and it’s easy to forget he’s only 1/2 years ahead of Richardson in terms of development), it’s really the only way forward we could go, cap space permitting.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I'd offer Thompson, Richardson's or swifts cap space in a heartbeat

In The West Stand

I'd offer Thompson, Richardson's or swifts cap space in a heartbeat
    Assuming Thompson is earning over 75k, it will be far more down to our marquee situation rather than cap.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Assuming Thompson is earning over 75k, it will be far more down to our marquee situation rather than cap.
    Don't we already have 2 marquee spots, Al & Coote?

I'm sure I remember hearing at some point mid-season that there was going to be a third marquee slot introduced. Thompson would be the obvious use for that if it does come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I'm sure I remember hearing at some point mid-season that there was going to be a third marquee slot introduced. Thompson would be the obvious use for that if it does come in.
    Is that confirmed or just talked about?

Is that confirmed or just talked about?
    I can’t remember. I have a feeling it hadn’t been announced but was being talked about as if it was going to happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I can’t remember. I have a feeling it hadn’t been announced but was being talked about as if it was going to happen.
    It was discussed in January but nothing since

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/46898121

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I was just about to say he still doesn't like running the ball and he nearly scores.

Banned

Dave we all know he is a bit yellow and always has been. Not at the right level for Saints that was proven in 18. Last year Lomax chose his half back partner and they delivered Champions and run away league leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Exactly. Some people want a player to be the finished product within a few weeks. Some mature physically and mentally earlier than others.

I remember many on here slagging of Fages. Probably the same now praising him and ripping into Richardson.
    Fages began his career as a 7, i don't remember him starting in that position under cunningham or the second part of the season under Holbrook. He has looked far more at home playing his original position.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

We've got Coote, Lomax and Fages now to last all season. Welsby for Coote would be okay for the majority of the regular season, but would make it hard to win big Cup and Play off games. We really need some proper cover in the halves, madness to go into a season with only two players in that position. That is if the kids coming through aren't ready. If they are then fine.

Richardson is bang average and afraid to take on the line. Coupled with his total failure to learn from mistakes it was good business to let him go. Also agree with something Cyprus said. Seemedeasily intimidated and could whiff at making tackles. Not Saints standard.
    The way you bang on you'd think he was Alex Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Richardson is bang average and afraid to take on the line. Coupled with his total failure to learn from mistakes it was good business to let him go. Also agree with something Cyprus said. Seemedeasily intimidated and could whiff at making tackles. Not Saints standard.
    The way you bang on you'd think he was Alex Murphy.
    Steady Eddie, Richardson and Sir Alex Murphy in the same breath surely not..