Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Richardson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    This is a twisted narrative.

He was not dropped, he was injured at the start of the season and so could not play.
    Fages was the next in line and earned the right to keep the shirt. (which I have no issue with)

Similarly in 2018 Richardson got the shirt and kept it as he had earned the shirt.
    If he was going to be dropped because he was not good enough then at any stage in 2018 Holbrook could have took that decision and he didn't.

Life in sport does not work on the basis of someone being top class one week and the worst player ever the next, which seems to be your narrative.
    There is a huge amount of ground in the middle where players form peaks and drops, team combinations work and break down.

In this instance you have 2 players who are close in quality but you can't fit both in the same side, so the decision will always be in favour of the player who has earned the shirt until their form drops or they get a substantial injury.
    Not saying it's true but was told Richardsons attitude in pre season training was poor

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Not saying it's true but was told Richardsons attitude in pre season training was poor
    I heard the same, questioning the coaches and turning up late for training. That was before the fages announcement.

Learning All The Songs

He was not dropped, he was injured at the start of the season and so could not play.
    Fages was the next in line and earned the right to keep the shirt. (which I have no issue with)

Similarly in 2018 Richardson got the shirt and kept it as he had earned the shirt.
    If he was going to be dropped because he was not good enough then at any stage in 2018 Holbrook could have took that decision and he didn't.

Life in sport does not work on the basis of someone being top class one week and the worst player ever the next, which seems to be your narrative.
    There is a huge amount of ground in the middle where players form peaks and drops, team combinations work and break down.

In this instance you have 2 players who are close in quality but you can't fit both in the same side, so the decision will always be in favour of the player who has earned the shirt until their form drops or they get a substantial injury.
    It’s not a twisted narrative. Firstly, you’re wrong. Richardson wasn’t injured at the start of the season as he played in the Lomax testimonial against Hull which was before the start of the season. So it wasn’t as if Fages played in Richardson’s absence and put in outstanding performances that made him undroppable, he was simply just chosen instead of him. You have to be extremely gullible to believe the stuff about Richardson missing some of pre season as the reason for him being dropped. Also, your last paragraph isn’t true either as Fages was injured and Richardson did get a run of games as a result but as soon as Fages was fit enough to return Richardson dropped back out.

It’s obvious he was simply dropped and rightly so because he was consistently poor throughout 2018 and his obsession with trying to come up with a try scoring play cost us, particularly towards the end of the season. Fages is a far better scrum half and I’ve never even rated Fages that highly.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Now official apparently

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Yeah been announced by saints too. Shame really, but I heard his attitude wasn't right and we know how that can affect the rest of the squad. Big risk but I trust in what we are doing.
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Banned

Not really that arsed to be honest.

Learning All The Songs

If Coote is injured next season, we won't have a long kicking game.

Danny's not as bad as some make out and he's not as good as others make out either. I think that time in the team last year didn't go well for his development. Like most players last season he rode the Ben Barba wave in the first part of the season (that's not to say he's a bad player but everyone looked good then). He also replaced a poor Matty Smith, I would probably look good after replacing him.

The middle to back end of the season when the team was struggling, Danny also struggled. He was caught out in defence a fair bit and I was told he was on his last chance before being dropped. He would show some superb bits of skill and also do some stupid stuff, especially on last tackle plays which is understandable for a young lad. He also had lads biting in trying to cover his defence which left us short out wide at times. His goal kicking won us some tight games.

Beginning of this year I heard about his attitude not being great and fages getting the 7 shirt which at the time I thought fair enough especially after Danny's up and down season the year before. As we all know it turned out well for us, Danny played a part in us getting the LLS and fair play I thought he was improved on the 2nd half of 2018 but not as good as his performances in the first part of 2018.

Also in 2018 we had a couple of egos at the club and fell short but this year we won the title on hard graft and for me the club has made the right choice. Danny's got the potential to be a great player but he's still got a lot of work to do, it was great to see him celebrate with all the lads at the final. I would have loved to see him be our 7 for years to come but sometimes things don't work out how you want. Wish him well, he seems like a good lad that just got a bit ahead of himself (I don't blame Danny for that he was being put forward for England and dream teams which I think was too much, he wasn't up to that standard yet) hope he goes well except when he plays against us.
    Last edited by The frenchman; 18th October 2019 at 16:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    If Coote is injured next season, we won't have a long kicking game.
    Very true, but you can’t keep players stockpiled for every eventuality. I think losing a key playmaker for any team is as good as season over, it’s just a big slice of bad luck

Banned

Another Jamie Foster. Good business by the club.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Not really that arsed to be honest.
    Yep, good luck to the lad, but I'm not overly fussed.

Noooobie

I think there's a player in there. But he's not shown that often enough to be the starting 7 for the Champions.

With the highly-rated Dodd snapping at his heels, this feels all the world like a deal that is best for all parties,

No hard feelings, and he's left us with a couple of special moments, so thanks Danny.
    Last edited by PopSider; 18th October 2019 at 17:55.

In The South Stand

Needs to improve his defence and decision making to be a top scrum half.

Hope he can, good luck Danny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Agree with that, Richardsons picked up a hip injury in the Hull (home) game and struggled with a groin strain, Holbrook kept playing him when he should have taken out of the firing line and used Fages instead.

Pre season he was 4 weeks behind most of the team and Fages grabbed the opportunity with both hands and became No1 choice which was a bid deal in Fages to sign for that new contract. Richardson showed the right temperament in getting a run of games but it was always going to be Fages and Lomax for the rest of the season.

Richardson was a bit miffed though with the Wembley game as he thought he could have had a better impact but we will never know with that one.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I don’t think outside influences have helped him particularly. It’s always felt to me that there is one group who defend him no matter how he’s played or no matter how poorly he’s played more specifically. Then there’s another group who are probably a bit too critical of him and go after him a bit too much and IMO that was reflected in his performances. The reality is/was probably somewhere in the middle. It all culminated in that Warrington semi-final performance where he was obviously pretty poor. IMO he should have been taken out of the team towards the back end of 2018 but I guess Holbrook didn’t see Matty Smith as an option and I don’t think anyone ever saw Fages as a 7 option.

Fages came in at the start of this year and straight away the team looked better balanced IMO. I just thought we looked more solid in that Wigan round 1 game. t felt like we had some control, some reliability and that complimented the brilliance that Lomax, Percival, Makinson, Naquima etc bring. Had he played for a Wakefield/Cas/Hull KR etc he’d probably have got away with it but Saints have to be ruthless now. The squad is at a good age, we’ve got some brilliant players, we’ve got to take advantage of this period and hopefully win as many trophies as possible over the next few years. We can’t be carrying players now in the hope that they improve. If Richardson wants to play SL rugby, he needed to go.

Watching from the side of the pitch at Old Trafford, Fages was brilliant. He didn’t stop talking all game, he controlled everything around him, he was rock solid defensively. With the likes of Percival, Naquima, Coote, Lomax etc there’s a good balance there. He’s set up/scored some brilliant tries this season as well and I’m really hopeful that he’ll in plenty more trophies with that 7 shirt on his back. He’s got loads of improvement in him but a 7 that can control his team and organise players around him will always have the advantage IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Another Jamie Foster. Good business by the club.
    I’ve been critical of Richardson and I think the decision to let him go is correct, but let’s be fair: he’s in a completely different league to Foster and will probably have a decent SL career.

Banned

He may well do so. However Jamie got ahead of himself and the club indulged him(image rights etc.) and upset the senior professionals in the group. Danny seemed to be going the same way in lets say his expectations and feeling defence was not his priority. Holbrook decided he knew best (thankfully) I get your point and he may well mirror image Lee Gaskell of Jamie Ellis.

In The South Stand

I thought with a new coach coming in that he might of wanted to prove himself. But I suppose if he has another season of being backup then his possible future earning will be less,the dream team selection is still in his favour right now. It's a short career so good luck to him.

Welsby is probably the first choice backup now so we will just have to wait and see how next season pans out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I think Richardson has potential and will have a good career at super league level. Unfortunately its the sort of potential that can only be let loose with a good kick up the arse. It wouldn’t surprise me if he has a good career at Castleford.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

There's a video interview for radio Leeds just been released that's worth a watch. Said he was feeling isolated this year at saints and he just wants to put 2019 behind him now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think Richardson has potential and will have a good career at super league level. Unfortunately its the sort of potential that can only be let loose with a good kick up the arse. It wouldn’t surprise me if he has a good career at Castleford.
    I think what people don't realise is that Richardson is the most inexperienced half back in Superleague, when Lewis Dodd gets his chance I hope we don't start to critique him in a similar manner.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    He may well do so. However Jamie got ahead of himself and the club indulged him(image rights etc.) and upset the senior professionals in the group. Danny seemed to be going the same way in lets say his expectations and feeling defence was not his priority. Holbrook decided he knew best (thankfully) I get your point and he may well mirror image Lee Gaskell of Jamie Ellis.
    Is this fact or conjecture. Too much said about attitude etc on this topic. Do you really know the facts or is it bull poo.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think what people don't realise is that Richardson is the most inexperienced half back in Superleague, when Lewis Dodd gets his chance I hope we don't start to critique him in a similar manner.
    He should have been introduced like welsby. He was thrown in as starting 7 at a title contending team. He's going to get criticism, were not in a position to carry someone till their ready at scrum half. Its too important, you can't have it both ways unfortunately. Cas could be playing the long game with those 2 and it could pay off in the long run but can you see them winning silverware with 2 young lads at the helm these next couple of years? He's had a taste of first team, we can't keep him as backup anymore, the lad wanted to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Is this fact or conjecture. Too much said about attitude etc on this topic. Do you really know the facts or is it bull poo.
    What I've put about him earlier is directly from someone at the club.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Exactly. Some people want a player to be the finished product within a few weeks. Some mature physically and mentally earlier than others.

I remember many on here slagging of Fages. Probably the same now praising him and ripping into Richardson.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Exactly. Some people want a player to be the finished product within a few weeks. Some mature physically and mentally earlier than others.

I remember many on here slagging of Fages. Probably the same now praising him and ripping into Richardson.
    I don’t think that’s the case to be fair, I just think most people want the 17 players who best fill their particular roles in the team to be on the pitch. Obviously Justin Holbrook was never going to prioritise Danny Richardson’s happiness over the success of the club. You can’t risk losing out on trophies by selecting a player when you’ve got another half back in the club who is better than him or is better suited to the team than him. I personally think Fages is already a very good 7 for us and will keep getting better and better. In his first full season at scrum half, he’s won a Grand Final.

I think in terms of Fages, a lot of people questioned him as a 6 or a 9 because that’s where he’d been playing. Whether Richardson finds a position that suits him more than 7, who knows.

I get what you’re saying but you can’t keep hold of every player.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 18th October 2019 at 23:27.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V