Thread: Richardson

Noooobie

Default Richardson

Richardson to castleford??

Banned

Next.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...leford-3339723

There will be plenty of movement in Super League in the coming weeks and one player moving on is St Helens half-back Danny Richardson.

The talented youngster has found game time hard to come by this year and we understand Castleford Tigers have paid a significant fee to take him to West Yorkshire.

The Tigers were on the lookout for a half-back with Luke Gale heading back to Leeds Rhinos and have secured his replacement in Richardson.

The 23-year-old will partner Jake Trueman in the halves in an exciting partnership.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...leford-3339723

There will be plenty of movement in Super League in the coming weeks and one player moving on is St Helens half-back Danny Richardson.

The talented youngster has found game time hard to come by this year and we understand Castleford Tigers have paid a significant fee to take him to West Yorkshire.

The Tigers were on the lookout for a half-back with Luke Gale heading back to Leeds Rhinos and have secured his replacement in Richardson.

The 23-year-old will partner Jake Trueman in the halves in an exciting partnership.
    I think he will be a good fit for them, suits all parties

We seem to have given up very quickly with him.

He has the potential to be a very good player.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Not going to be good enough. He's ••••ing 23 not 17 and still looks a player playing his first game. If he could learn from mistakes as quickly as he gets miffed then his potential might start to release itself. He's little more than another Lee Gaskell and the club have a better 'potential' player waiting in Dodd.

In The South Stand

I had heard he was moving on. How old is this Dodd? Is he realistically going to be able to play 3/4 of the season if we get an injury? Or would we need to be signing a replacement if Danny left?

A swap with Trueman would be nice.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Dodd is 17, watched him rip sides apart since U7s - he's an excellent player. I suppose the way to find out if he's ready for SL is to give him a game in a less high pressure match to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintdancer View Post
    Richardson to castleford??
    IF (big if) it’s true, you’ve got to say it’s a good move for him and also it tells us about his ambition.

Leaving a team that regularly challenges for honors to go to a club that scraped into the top 5 (again) is only a step down and of course has less pressure.

Staying at Saints, with a new coaching team as well, fighting to be part of the squad and it’s future successes will be much more difficult but ultimately more rewarding.

It’s up to Danny but if he was my lad I’d be telling him to give it another year under Woolf.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Noooobie

We also have jack welsby who will be wanting game time.
    Maybe coote to cover half back an welsby to full back with injury crisis. If the rumour is true.

Interesting. I know Dodd is highly thought of but if he’s only 17 I’m not sure how likely he is to be ready to step in if we get a long-term injury in the halves.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...9-2019-behind/

You can tell from that he’s not happy but he does say he wanted to see what the new coach thought.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

You can tell from that he’s not happy but he does say he wanted to see what the new coach thought.
    Very good goal kicker , Theo Fages is a better player . All the best danny lad .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Not going to be good enough. He's ••••ing 23 not 17 and still looks a player playing his first game. If he could learn from mistakes as quickly as he gets miffed then his potential might start to release itself. He's little more than another Lee Gaskell and the club have a better 'potential' player waiting in Dodd.
    I agree. Even when given his opportunity this year he never really did enough to pressure Fages return.

It's a bit of a Lee Gaskell situation, he'll have a career but I don't think he's good enough for a top side

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Buddy; 21st September 2019 at 03:35.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Dodd is 17, watched him rip sides apart since U7s - he's an excellent player. I suppose the way to find out if he's ready for SL is to give him a game in a less high pressure match to start with.
    Dodd is a good player but nowhere near ready yet for Super League, he hasn’t played against adults yet never mind step up to Super League. As you say give home some time in “easier” games but I wouldn’t be doing it next season, I would only start to look at it the following season.

Got A Season Ticket

Good luck to Danny!

Certainly has the potential to be a very good player to go along with his goal kicking and the fact he has put the red vee on he should always be welcomed back to the club by supporters and alike.

In The South Stand

I still would have thought that the new coach would have liked to see all players first.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

Writing was on the wall when he spoke at the CC final interval, it was always going to be a "bee in his bonnet" that wasn't going to go away. Truman + Richardson could be an exciting partnership, I,m glad he hasn't gone to the Goons or Wire to create that "Lee Briers" scenario, wish him well its a short career in super league.

Learning All The Songs

Maybe it depends on how close Dodds is to playing a part in the first team squad. If he is good enough he is old enough. In my view Fages is better than Richardson, Welsby could play at half back and Dodds sounds like he could be very good.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Maybe it depends on how close Dodds is to playing a part in the first team squad. If he is good enough he is old enough. In my view Fages is better than Richardson, Welsby could play at half back and Dodds sounds like he could be very good.
    If he is good enough he is old enough, he was good enough at 13 but not old enough, I have never agreed with that saying
    It suggests just throwing a player in based on promise, some players are ready and some are not, some need more nurturing than others.
    For me he is brilliant and will be a great player, I don't know if he is ready but he is certainly close and will soon be knocking on the door

Got A Season Ticket

Callum McLelland at Leeds (playing dual reg at Featherstone) is well ahead of Dodd in terms of skill, kicking game, experience, game management etc etc and he can’t get in a struggling Leeds team so why say Dodd should be looking to get game time in the best team in the league? Give him chance to develop his game in the Academy/reserves when ready then start to think about drip feeding him in AT LEAST 18 months time, no sooner.....I personally don’t think Dodd will look to stick around after the next few years.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Spot on, he was a protest vote because we had Matty Smith at the time and as a result was vastly overrated along with him being a goal kicking scrum half who often took headline moments despite doing nothing for the rest of the game. Nothing more annoying than when people say he’ll learn with experience. 53 Super League games and he hasn’t improved at all. I said within the first two months of last season he wasn’t good enough and I got slated by half the forum. He’ll go on to struggle at Cas.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Spot on, he was a protest vote because we had Matty Smith at the time and as a result was vastly overrated along with him being a goal kicking scrum half who often took headline moments despite doing nothing for the rest of the game. Nothing more annoying than when people say he’ll learn with experience. 53 Super League games and he hasn’t improved at all. I said within the first two months of last season he wasn’t good enough and I got slated by half the forum. He’ll go on to struggle at Cas.
    I won’t particularly miss Richardson. Having said that, it wouldn’t surprise me if he goes on to have a good career at top level. Daryl Powell does seem to know how to get the best out of players and he doesn’t make dud signings.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

His comments in the St Helens Star basically say that he wants to play regular rugby and will have to see if he’s in the new coaches plans.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I won’t particularly miss Richardson. Having said that, it wouldn’t surprise me if he goes on to have a good career at top level. Daryl Powell does seem to know how to get the best out of players and he doesn’t make dud signings.
    I ve usually supported Richardson to balance out some of the critique, but from a neutral point of view he is no longer a youngster being 24 next year so a change of club is the best course of action. The only problem we have is that Lewis Dodd is probably 2 seasons away from transitioning into a super league half back player and if he is rushed then he might inherit the critique that Richardson had of having no mentor on the pitch.