Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grounds You Miss Visiting.

Banned

Default Grounds You Miss Visiting.

Following on from the generic thread around Swinton that then included Station Road, I was pondering which grounds I miss visiting. Obviously super league and clubs either moving grounds or even going to the wall have had an adverse effect on our away day rambles across the north and further afield.

Number 1. For me was Borough Park Blackpool. Only an occasional fixture in the days of one division and for one season only in the two division era. Just going to Blackpool was in that era was always for most a good day out and the stadium was actually quite tidy and encompassed a dog track to earn the RL club some extra money. The club was shafted by the council and left town to a nomadic slow death.

Number 2. Keighley. This was even more of a rarefied event and my first recollection was 1971 and us winning 24-4 I can still remember how tiny the ground seemed and the views over what I now know as Ilkley Moor and sitting in what seemed like a huge shed eating hot pork pies, not the nine by Roy Litherland at Swinton but certainly two.

Number 3. Barrow. They are a club who really suffered from the creation of super league. Throughout the eighties especially at home they were a match for anyone with good knowledgeable crowds who loved the game and Saints to be honest. Roy Heggarty was the man the Barrow crowds loved to hate in a nice way, so much so they signed him. They had a guy called Eddie Sysmala who was as hard as nails. Another benefit was Hartleys beer brewed then in Ulverston for a pit stop going and returning home.

Mc Laren Field, Bramley was a hoot.

It didn't used to happen all that often, but winning at Central Park used to feel good (when you could see past the pillars).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It didn't used to happen all that often, but winning at Central Park used to feel good (when you could see past the pillars).
    I think the fact that it always had the largest crowds and the local rivalry always made Central Park special.
    I remember going to Wakey and Cas in the 60's and their grounds being packed. Always remember one time at Cas when they had a fire in a 44 gallon drum and women drying their washing around it while the game was in progress.

Banned

Yep, along with Thrum Hall which was the first away ground I went to, the Boulevard and the Willows. Not sure why but those 3 always stick in my mind.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Yep, along with Thrum Hall which was the first away ground I went to, the Boulevard and the Willows. Not sure why but those 3 always stick in my mind.
    Thrum hall was a place and a half , it was always cold especially in the fog lol.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Crown Flat, Dewsbury - bitter cold wind no matter what time of year.
    Hilton Park, Leigh - short drawing & usually a tough venue.
    "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy".
    General Helmuth von Moltke

Starting A Programme Collection

No1 for me has to be Huddersfields Fartown. Steep uncovered terracing of sleepers the full length of the field. Plus I can't ever recall seeing us lose there.

Agreed, Central Park on Boxing Day always a highlight of the year, a pint and a scotch to warm you at the pub I can't recall it's name, on the corner, halfway up the hill then walk down that entry to the turnstiles, an orderly queue to get in, and then a jostle to find a spot where you could actually see all four corners. Then a quick car journey over the hill home for Boxing Day cold turkey and chips. Entirely the opposite, Knotty Ash STADIUM to watch Liverpool City, before they moved to Alt Park at Huyton, when the little lads really meant it when they offered to look after your car for a tanner, heroic efforts by the players there to keep it going, there was a story that even the opposition players paid at the gate!

Quote Originally Posted by dr death View Post
    Crown Flat, Dewsbury - bitter cold wind no matter what time of year.
    Hilton Park, Leigh - short drawing & usually a tough venue.
    Crown Flat with a bigger slope than Smithy Brew you could only see the crossbar on the sticks from one end of the ground.

Learning All The Songs

Can I say Knowsley Road? Fartown was a cracker. That big, steep, open and cold bank of terracing. I used to like the Boulevard too, very err, passionate fans and exciting hunt for your coach that had parked in S••••horpe so it didn't get trashed.

Learning All The Songs

I can't believe it's edited Scun thorpe and won't let me change it.

Cumbria for the weekend craic.
    workington/whitehaven - stop over in maryport/cockermouth and Barrow - stopover in Blackpool/Cartmel.

Always enjoyed the Boulevard.

As one offs Charlton and Paris in 96.
    At the time felt like saints on tour and the start of something new and big.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Hilton Park
    Watersheddings - snow in May?
    Blackpool Borough when they played at what is now Stadium Avenue off St. Annes Road.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Got A Season Ticket

I remember going to Chorley one winter in the challange cup we went for a walk on the sea front at Blackpool I've never been as cold in my life
    We were stood on the half way line right next to the pitch Kevin Ward went down injured and the man with the bucket of cold water and magic sponge came running on
    Has he got near Kev he jumped up and said If tha thinks thas using that on me you can think again mate

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    i remember going to chorley one winter in the challange cup we went for a walk on the sea front at blackpool i've never been as cold in my life
    we were stood on the half way line right next to the pitch kevin ward went down injured and the man with the bucket of cold water and magic sponge came running on
    has he got near kev he jumped up and said if tha thinks thas using that on me you can think again mate

Got A Replica Shirt FW de KLERK's Avatar

You're joking aren't you? We won plenty of times at Central Park and up until the late 80's more often than not in league fixtures Wigan would win at Knowsley Road and Saints would win at Central Park.

Banned

I do remember losing 53 - 11 Saints players on strike and Green Vigo scored seven tries. I also remember Stuart Evans destroying the pies. Anyone go to Maidstone and Kent Invicta.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I do remember losing 53 - 11 Saints players on strike and Green Vigo scored seven tries. I also remember Stuart Evans destroying the pies. Anyone go to Maidstone and Kent Invicta.
    I’m sure I remember us beating them 53-11 once at CP.

Banned

i think you have snookered me pal. Yes 53 - 11 was the late sixties before they signed Green. I now think the seven tries by Green and us on strike was later years. Not as late as the floodlight failure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Yep I went to Kent Invicta who played at Maidstone United FC. Mark Elia played for them that day.

Been to all of the stadia mentioned by everyone above bar Knotty Ash ( I'm not quite that old!!)
    Got to say dont miss most of the grounds. Whilst they had plenty of history and character much more than the many souless new places they were pretty tired with poor facilities ( see Wakefield for details)
    I have grown to quite like our new ground especially the facilities and location but definitely DO miss the spec and atmosphere of Knowsley Road. Quite miss the away games at Central Park as well. Boxing Day 87 will always be one of my favourite memories of following Saints.

At one point I had been to every RL ground in all divisions. There are now a few not visited with teams moving and new entrants.

Anyone remember New Hunslet at Elland Road Greyhound Stadium? They had American Football type posts with a single central upright. May have been 1978 when I went and pretty sure we drew away.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Not many who miss the visit to Post Office Road I see

Pitch always seemed to be frozen and 3000 Fev fans all from the same gene pool who considered Peter Sutcliffe to be misunderstood

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FW de KLERK View Post
    You're joking aren't you? We won plenty of times at Central Park and up until the late 80's more often than not in league fixtures Wigan would win at Knowsley Road and Saints would win at Central Park.
    Okay - let's say that it didn't happen very often when I used to go there (from '92 onwards).

Station road. Watching the mud water come rolling into the terracing and around ya feet was memorable as a 9 yr old !

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Yep I went to Kent Invicta who played at Maidstone United FC. Mark Elia played for them that day.

Been to all of the stadia mentioned by everyone above bar Knotty Ash ( I'm not quite that old!!)
    Got to say dont miss most of the grounds. Whilst they had plenty of history and character much more than the many souless new places they were pretty tired with poor facilities ( see Wakefield for details)
    I have grown to quite like our new ground especially the facilities and location but definitely DO miss the spec and atmosphere of Knowsley Road. Quite miss the away games at Central Park as well. Boxing Day 87 will always be one of my favourite memories of following Saints.

At one point I had been to every RL ground in all divisions. There are now a few not visited with teams moving and new entrants.

Anyone remember New Hunslet at Elland Road Greyhound Stadium? They had American Football type posts with a single central upright. May have been 1978 when I went and pretty sure we drew away.
    Yes I remember going to Elland Road. It was one of the coldest days ever watching Saints.