Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grounds You Miss Visiting.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Not many who miss the visit to Post Office Road I see

Pitch always seemed to be frozen and 3000 Fev fans all from the same gene pool who considered Peter Sutcliffe to be misunderstood

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I only went to Post Office Road once. A mid winter match with the pitch white not green - not snow but frost. The match should never have been played. At half time Fev had a very handy lead with Saints seemingly disinterested. At the start of the second half Saints did not come out for what seemed an eternity. We began to pull things back and all the locals who had given us earache all the game were now shouting for the ref to blow for full time. We won. It was the coldest I have ever been in my life and it took me all the way home to thaw out.
    My favourite match was always Central Park on Boxing Day. A bite to eat and a few pints at the Brocket Arms Hotel up the road beforehand. Always a full house and a fabulous atmosphere with no trouble, just banter with fierce rivals showing mutual dislike but respect. It epitomised what it was to be a Saints fan, win or lose

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by the priest View Post
    Can I say Knowsley Road? Fartown was a cracker. That big, steep, open and cold bank of terracing. I used to like the Boulevard too, very err, passionate fans and exciting hunt for your coach that had parked in S••••horpe so it didn't get trashed.
    Ray French tells a good story about playing at Fartown on a really frosty pitch, both sides only agreed to play because there was a big crowd on. They compromised by agreeing to play on the side of the ground that had thawed, and every time they strayed onto the frozen side the referee gave a free kick to one or other of the sides to get them back onto the sunny side. A bit like Knowsley Road on Boxing Day sometimes when the popular side was always the last part of the ground to thaw

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Okay - let's say that it didn't happen very often when I used to go there (from '92 onwards).
    I honestly cant remember winning at Central Park 88-99 the period i started to it closure. seen us draw once 8-8 i think in the CC . I recall some 30k plus attendances in those good Friday games.

I was lucky to have been at the world club challenge 87 wigan V manly i was sat on the old tunnel in a dark damp night under the floodlights . Incredible atmosphere . Great ground but it wont trump knowsley Rd in that popular terrace

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    Yes I remember going to Elland Road. It was one of the coldest days ever watching Saints.
    They also played at Elland Road - Leeds United. That was the Meninga season.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

I spent a lot of time at Thrum Hall in the late '70s, as my dad was their physio when Maurice Bamford was coach and Mick Blacker captain. Went to all home and away games with him for a couple of years, so experienced most grounds. I remember Oldham's ground being perishing cold and Odsal too. Thrum Hall had a good atmosphere, close to the pitch and it was compulsory for everyone to swap ends at half time. The toilets, and I use the word in it's loosest sense, were bloody Dickensian. I'm surprised people didn't contract cholera or something.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    I honestly cant remember winning at Central Park 88-99 the period i started to it closure. seen us draw once 8-8 i think in the CC . I recall some 30k plus attendances in those good Friday games. The 8*8 draw was good friday 1993 drew 16*16 in the cup in 1995

I was lucky to have been at the world club challenge 87 wigan V manly i was sat on the old tunnel in a dark damp night under the floodlights . Incredible atmosphere . Great ground but it wont trump knowsley Rd in that popular terrace

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    I only went to Post Office Road once. A mid winter match with the pitch white not green - not snow but frost. The match should never have been played. At half time Fev had a very handy lead with Saints seemingly disinterested. At the start of the second half Saints did not come out for what seemed an eternity. We began to pull things back and all the locals who had given us earache all the game were now shouting for the ref to blow for full time. We won. It was the coldest I have ever been in my life and it took me all the way home to thaw out.
    My favourite match was always Central Park on Boxing Day. A bite to eat and a few pints at the Brocket Arms Hotel up the road beforehand. Always a full house and a fabulous atmosphere with no trouble, just banter with fierce rivals showing mutual dislike but respect. It epitomised what it was to be a Saints fan, win or lose
    I was at that game, I was amazed they played the second half

Last edited by Buddy; 20th September 2019 at 03:45.

Banned

I honestly cant remember winning at Central Park 88-99 the period i started to it closure. seen us draw once 8-8 i think in the CC . I recall some 30k plus attendances in those good Friday games. The 8-8 game was Good Friday 1993 the CC game finished 16-16 in 1995

I honestly cant remember winning at Central Park 88-99 the period i started to it closure. seen us draw once 8-8 i think in the CC . I recall some 30k plus attendances in those good Friday games.

Who remembers the game (86ish) when the floodlights went out?

Who remembers the game (86ish) when the floodlights went out?

Yeah was there for that. Sure we were winning when they went off too!

Nobody mentioning the HJones? Nobody is going there again this season......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    We were. IIRC it was Pat Jarvis debut after arriving that day and he was on fire early on

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I seem to recall it was a Lancashire Cup game, either semi or quarter final, we were in the lead and camped on their line at the Kop end and suddenly the lights went out. Uncle Maurice had either forgot to put a shilling in the meter or had a word with the electrician. I'm betting on the latter

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Nobody mentioning the HJones? Nobody is going there again this season......
    The only thing missing from there was the home fans last night.

Got A Season Ticket

Post Office Road and Thrum Hall..... spit n sawdust but some great memories

Learning All The Songs

I was at that game, I was amazed they played the second half

Did Connolly get the winner very late on?

Learning All The Songs

I always used to enjoy the Willows. Miraculously my car remained unscathed every time I went there. The Railway End at Wilderspool was great if Saints were winning. And from a personal note, because it was my home ground and the first place I saw live RL, Clarence Street

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I’m sure I remember us beating them 53-11 once at CP.
    I’d agree with you. The 53-11 was in our favour.

Upside
    Non Members

Do you have a link to one of the 30k plus matches?

Default Grounds You Miss Visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Do you have a link to one of the 30k plus matches?
    I remember us getting hammered there Boxing Day ‘93 - I could have sworn there were over 30k there that day, but according to Saints Heritage it was 29100.

There was a big crowd at CP in the ‘95 World Cup as well - England v Fiji. Not sure if that was up to 30k but I remember it being very busy.

Upside
    Non Members

I remember us getting hammered there Boxing Day ‘93 - I could have sworn there were over 30k there that day, but according to Saints Heritage it was 29100.

There was a big crowd at CP in the ‘95 World Cup as well - England v Fiji. Not sure if that was up to 30k but I remember it being very busy.

I've been there when it's been rammed but would be surprised if there was o er 30k

Everyone always claims the numbers were huge when it is busy and the atmosphere is excellent. IME the old ground had a great atmosphere with 10k on as you were on top of the pitch and all rammed together. I don't believe it needs great numbers to be s great atmosphere, Wembley this year was an example of that it was brilliant, well until we fell behind

Default Grounds You Miss Visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I've been there when it's been rammed but would be surprised if there was o er 30k

Everyone always claims the numbers were huge when it is busy and the atmosphere is excellent. IME the old ground had a great atmosphere with 10k on as you were on top of the pitch and all rammed together. I don't believe it needs great numbers to be s great atmosphere, Wembley this year was an example of that it was brilliant, well until we fell behind
    The derby at Central Park was just shy of 30k in 92-93 and 93-94. That Fiji match I was thinking of had about 26k and there were a few other derbies round the 26-7k mark around that time. They definitely had 36k in for the WCC in 1987, too.

Learning All The Songs

The 1972 cup semi final replay at Central Park against Warrington had 32,000 on. I was their with my old dad. Won 10-6. Absolutely crammed on the Douglas side and i remember being swept along in the tide coming off with my feet not touching the ground for about 250 yards.
    Last edited by Houghwood Saint; 22nd September 2019 at 17:59.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    The cup semi final replay at Central Park against Warrington had 32,000 on. I was their with my old dad. Won 10-6. Absolutely crammed on the Douglas side and i remember being swept along in the tide coming off with my feet not touching the ground for about 250 yards.
    Similar experience at the ‘title decider that decided nothing’ in the 92/93 season (?). There must have been 30k plus on for that game but the official attendance was a ‘surprise’

Highlight of Wigan away back then was a pint in The Swindley Labour club. Got very raucous in there for the 1995 Challenge Cup game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Boxing day 1959. Just under 48,000 on that day.