Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: And so its Pie time

Got A Season Ticket

Default And so its Pie time

Our friends are not exactly licking their lips for next week and are very critical of their heroes performance against Salford. Are we right to feel cautiously optimistic? Anyone see anything tonight to worry us?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Our friends are not exactly licking their lips for next week and are very critical of their heroes performance against Salford. Are we right to feel cautiously optimistic? Anyone see anything tonight to worry us?
    The biggest worry is how will saints perform in a big game against a team that knows how to win at this time of year.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    The biggest worry is how will saints perform in a big game against a team that knows how to win at this time of year.

This. It's ultimately whether Saints hold their nerve or not over the next few weeks. If we play in a composed manner and get a bit of luck we will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

How hard can it be to believe in yourselves after the season we have had?
    Learned comment from The Don

As above, it depends whether we become headless chickens again or not. Man for man there is no comparison, especially in the pack

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I thought the Salford v wigan game was an excellent game and very intense.

That worries me.

We have been so effective this year are we able ready for intensive playoff rugby?

I think all the grand finals I've been to no matter how good the saints were during the season, the final was a close affair. The only final I felt comfortable at was the one against Hull, which I thought we controlled from start to finish.

Next week should be a step up in intensity, just wonder if we have that plan B, if we are under pressure with our normal game.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I thought the Salford v wigan game was an excellent game and very intense.

That worries me.

We have been so effective this year are we able ready for intensive playoff rugby?

I think all the grand finals I've been to no matter how good the saints were during the season, the final was a close affair. The only final I felt comfortable at was the one against Hull, which I thought we controlled from start to finish.

Next week should be a step up in intensity, just wonder if we have that plan B, if we are under pressure with our normal game.
    This is it really. Lomax and Coote may not get the same space as they have all season. We need to be ready to play up the middle too where we are much stronger than them but my worry is will the ref allow a quick ruck?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    How hard can it be to believe in yourselves after the season we have had?
    This. The lads have earned the right to be champions this year. They need a big pre game talk from Holbrook if we get to Old Trafford. If they approach these next two games in the right frame of mind theirs no reason they can’t be champions.

My message would be

Theirs gonna be hard times in this 80 minutes lads. If the ref bends us over you don’t dwell on it! You take it and use it as motivation! You take adversity and feed off it. F*** the doubters, f*** the ref, f*** the opposition! Its YOUR trophy! Its YOUR trophy! You’ve had one hand on it all season! Its YOURS! GO OUT AND CLAIM IT! BRING IT HOME! CLAIM WHATS YOURS!!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post

Yes. Constant offside and never square at play the ball. We seem to struggle against these tactics. Hope Justin as got something up his sleeve.

Two penalties given for offside last night,one to each side and both within 2 mins. I don't want the ref to whistle all night but 78 mins without an offside decision. Come on.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Saints form over the rest of the season doesn't matter now.
    This is a separate competition and on current form there is little to choose between Saints and Wigan.

But this game doesn't really matter, win or lose this either way its pretty much odds on a Saints v Wigan final that's the one that matters.

It would be good to win on Friday then have a week off

Got A Season Ticket

The only thing that worries me is the performance of the referee anything else I feel like we can handle

In The South Stand

Wigan provide a threat, of course they do. They’re one of the form sides in the comp so definitely offer problems to us. They may not be the most expansive side but they’re a great side at peaking at the right time. We offer as many problems to ourselves as Wigan do to us.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Hope we mix it up a bit in the play offs, the better teams have done their homework on us.

Default And so its Pie time

Wigan will probably complete their sets and defend very well. The key to winning is not panicking when a) we find it difficult to break them down, and b) we face inevitable spells stuck in our own half. If we keep our cool I think we’ll win well. Unfortunately we have an abysmal record of keeping our cool when the chips are down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Wigan will probably complete their sets and defend very well. The key to winning is not panicking when a) we find it difficult to break them down, and b) we face inevitable spells stuck in our own half. If we keep our cool I think we’ll win well. Unfortunately we have an abysmal record of keeping our cool when the chips are down.
    Agreed. If it takes 79 minutes to win then so be it. Composure, patience and calm belief

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Salford created enough last night to win. They pinned wigan back at times and made easy metres. Our defense is better and we should take our chances. Saints win for me

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Agreed. If it takes 79 minutes to win then so be it. Composure, patience and calm belief
    Agree. Just got a feeling if we can post a score or two early on we will keep our composure for the game. When we are chasing the games we tend to forget how to engineer opportunities.

Starting A Programme Collection

Bang on

I still think Wigan are overrated.
    Man for man I think we are better.
    16pts clear and 100% at home all season.
    Played 3 won 3 v Wigan this season.
    I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion but I can't think for a minute why we should be anything but confident.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    This. The lads have earned the right to be champions this year. They need a big pre game talk from Holbrook if we get to Old Trafford. If they approach these next two games in the right frame of mind theirs no reason they can’t be champions.

My message would be

Theirs gonna be hard times in this 80 minutes lads. If the ref bends us over you don’t dwell on it! You take it and use it as motivation! You take adversity and feed off it. F*** the doubters, f*** the ref, f*** the opposition! Its YOUR trophy! Its YOUR trophy! You’ve had one hand on it all season! Its YOURS! GO OUT AND CLAIM IT! BRING IT HOME! CLAIM WHATS YOURS!!
    I think you should join Holbrook in the pre match dressing room!
    I don't think, however, we have earned the right to be champions. You only earn that right by winning the Grand Final.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post

It would be good to win on Friday then have a week off
    Think those days have well gone in the modern game, too often teams after having a week off does not always pay off!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion but I can't think for a minute why we should be anything but confident.
    Hope our players not thinking like that or we are in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Think those days have well gone in the modern game, too often teams after having a week off does not always pay off!
    I think you only know after the event ultimately. It could help in the fact that we’ve played every weekend since the end of January and also the more play off games you have in consecutive weekends the more the fatigue catches up with you. If we win next week we’ll condemn Wigan to 3 hard weeks on the bounce and if we lose we’ll be playing Salford or Cas who will have encountered the same. This must be a factor in 1st v 2nd playing each other every single time under the top 5 system

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Everything points to us but you can't help having doubts. As someone else mentioned, if we can score a couple in the first 20 mins we'll be well set from there.

Got A Replica Shirt

Saints win by 16+ points.