Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coote and his kicking

Learning All The Songs

Default Coote and his kicking

1/5 only one kick from 5 against Hull very worrying could be another Achilles heal for us this season?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    1/5 only one kick from 5 against Hull very worrying could be another Achilles heal for us this season?
    It’s Grace and Makinson’s fault they keep scoring at the corner flag, Coote hasn’t had too many easy pot shots at goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Think you make a good point.

We've already been caught out once at Wembley with that. I could have kicked that 10 cans down

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

I must admit I've been thinking the same all day just didn't want to admit it and start this thread but it is a serious worry, maybe him and Percy could share the kicking he did well when he covered kicking when Coote was injured, but we do need to be thinking about a sure fire kicker for next season I fear its to late for this one, we are just going to have to go with what we have or win on tries alone.

Banned

Or tell Percival to have a word with himself as he's a highly paid professional.

He kicked them from everywhere last week so hopefully he can get back to that.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Think you make a good point.

We've already been caught out once at Wembley with that. I could have kicked that 10 cans down
    Better kickers than Coote have missed easier kicks at Wembley. Yes he had a bad night with the boot last night but as mentioned in this thread he has had nights when he hardly missed at all. If the other players don't want to kick then barring playing Richardson he's our kicker and we have to get used to it.

I always thought it was a strange decision by Holbrook to make Coote our kicker when he isn't one.

Coote in his 10 years in the NRL has only kicked 10 goals, Coote in the 1 year in Superleague has kicked 105 goals yet is the 2nd best kicker in super league mainly because we have scored an enormous amount of try's.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I always thought it was a strange decision by Holbrook to make Coote our kicker when he isn't one.

Coote in his 10 years in the NRL has only kicked 10 goals, Coote in the 1 year in Superleague has kicked 105 goals yet is the 2nd best kicker in super league mainly because we have scored an enormous amount of try's.
    From memory I don’t think Holbrook picked him as such, more so Percival kicked in the first game then almost immediately didn’t want to do it anymore

I didn’t go to Hull last night but having seen the highlights it is clear that 4 of the 5 kicks were from the touchline so it seems a bit harsh to criticise Coote too much. Match Centre suggested he wasn’t far off with the missed attempts although if anyone who went thinks that his efforts were poor that’s probably a better insight. On the basis of the evidence last week, however, and his kicking prior to Wembley, I’d rather Coote have the responsibility as I think he’s better than Percival and much less likely to be put off his general game if he misses.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I didn’t go to Hull last night but having seen the highlights it is clear that 4 of the 5 kicks were from the touchline so it seems a bit harsh to criticise Coote too much. Match Centre suggested he wasn’t far off with the missed attempts although if anyone who went thinks that his efforts were poor that’s probably a better insight. On the basis of the evidence last week, however, and his kicking prior to Wembley, I’d rather Coote have the responsibility as I think he’s better than Percival and much less likely to be put off his general game if he misses.
    He also slipped in the CCup, that could happen to anyone. He's gone better than I imagined so far this year considering he's not kicked for so long.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    He kicked them from everywhere last week so hopefully he can get back to that.
    This. He might have missed 4 out of 5 tonight but all were very difficult. The important question is how much did he miss by? If they were fairly close then he's probably still striking the ball ok.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

I'm not a stat man but over the season he's been pretty consistent I suspect.
    Percival is a much poorer kicker.
    Danny Richardson is our best kicker but need to factor in other aspects of his performance.
    For me Coote is the best bet.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I don’t want Percival kicking in big games. He doesn’t have the mental strength to shrug off any that he misses. He misses one, he misses the lot, like he did at Castleford.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I'm not a stat man but over the season he's been pretty consistent I suspect.
    Percival is a much poorer kicker.
    Danny Richardson is our best kicker but need to factor in other aspects of his performance.
    For me Coote is the best bet.
    Its Richardson, Percival and then Coote on percentages. Richardson was in the mid 80's Percival high 70's and Coote mid 70's percentage wise. I think we have scored around 145 tries when Coote has played (163 tries total) but he has only converted around 100 of them for 70%, the rest were likely penalties.

Upside
    Non Members

Its Richardson, Percival and then Coote on percentages. Richardson was in the mid 80's Percival high 70's and Coote mid 70's percentage wise. I think we have scored around 145 tries when Coote has played (163 tries total) but he has only converted around 100 of them for 70%, the rest were likely penalties.

I like stats, but is thee a way of knowing percentages when more than 45 degree angle?

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Richardson can kick goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I like stats, but is thee a way of knowing percentages when more than 45 degree angle?
    A very rough estimate would be tot up the number of tries scored by the centres and wingers of the 164 we’ve scored in super league, those would be highly likely a more acute angle than 45 deg.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    Richardson can kick goals.
    It's a shame we can't just bring him on like American football

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I think we’re possibly forgetting how long he was actually out for, he was injured for a good few weeks and wasn’t even deemed fit enough to play at Leeds the week before Wembley. I can’t imagine he’d have done much kicking in that time so it’ll take him some time.

He’s the best we’ve got in our best 17 so there isn’t much else that can be done about it. I’m sure he’ll be putting the hours in over the next couple of weeks.

I feel a bit for him to be fair because he plays full back which is a challenge in itself physically, he’s one of our main field kickers and he’s our goal kicker as well. That’s a lot of work for one player.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think we’re possibly forgetting how long he was actually out for, he was injured for a good few weeks and wasn’t even deemed fit enough to play at Leeds the week before Wembley. I can’t imagine he’d have done much kicking in that time so it’ll take him some time.

He’s the best we’ve got in our best 17 so there isn’t much else that can be done about it. I’m sure he’ll be putting the hours in over the next couple of weeks.

I feel a bit for him to be fair because he plays full back which is a challenge in itself physically, he’s one of our main field kickers and he’s our goal kicker as well. That’s a lot of work for one player.
    He also stepped up when we needed a kicker, after Percy said he didn't want it. It's not as if we signed him to be our kicker. I realise missed kicks could cost us. but I don't think we can blame someone that has been shoehorned into the role.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post

What was actually up with Coote? Im assuming it was a knee issue. Was it a general clean out of the knee? I can’t recall any details at the time.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

2019:
    Coote 73% - 95/130
    Percival 65% - 13/20
    Richardson 83% - 23/28

Hardaker 78%
    Ratchford 80%

2018: Richardson 75% - 132/176
    2017: Percival 76% - 95/124

So over the course of a season there's not a massive difference between the three. But without doubt Richardson is the one you'd want if it matters

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    2019:
    Coote 73% - 95/130
    Percival 65% - 13/20
    Richardson 83% - 23/28

Hardaker 78%
    Ratchford 80%

2018: Richardson 75% - 132/176
    2017: Percival 76% - 95/124

So over the course of a season there's not a massive difference between the three. But without doubt Richardson is the one you'd want if it matters
    but other than his kicking he (DR) offers nothing

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Think of the song, he sets up Tommy and Reagan, so where are a fair percentage of his kicks being attempted from. If playing in a team with barge over tries by the forwards down the middle then his percentage would be higher. Coote for kicker for me.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.