Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    So my fellow saints, is having a week off now a good or bad thing? I've mixed thoughts myself
    Not good. We’ve rested players adequately and all the players who were injured need games

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Not good. We’ve rested players adequately and all the players who were injured need games
    We should send Thommo, Roby, Walmsley, Percival, Grace and Makinson on loan to Salford for a week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Prediction

Week 1 - (2) Wigan beat (3) Salford, (4) Wire beat (5) Castleford - Cas eliminated
    Week 2 - (1) Saints beat (2) Wigan, (4) Wire win at (3) Salford - Salford eliminated
    Week 3 - (2) Wigan beat (4) Wire - Wire eliminated
    Week 4 - God knows

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

So my fellow saints, is having a week off now a good or bad thing? I've mixed thoughts myself
    Not good imo. Its never been much of an advantage imo. If we win in two weeks time we don’t then play for another 2 weeks. We go into the final having played only one game over the previous three weekends. Having said that im not keen on us losing our first attempt to get to the final. After being so strong at home this season a loss at home in the play offs could really hurt the players confidence.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Not good at this time. We have rotated enough and should be able to go through to the final with no break and no fatigue concerns

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Cas will do them , no doubt in my mind , and if we don't come across each other us and cas in the final .
    Really? Cas look terrible, 1-7 they’re dreadful and they’ve got no chance of getting to Old Trafford. The standard in SL is bad but I don’t think it’s reached the point where it’s bad enough for a team with the likes of Rankin, Clare, Minikin, Eliis (and so on) to be getting to the Grand Final.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Prediction

Week 1 - (2) Wigan beat (3) Salford, (4) Wire beat (5) Castleford - Cas eliminated
    Week 2 - (1) Saints beat (2) Wigan, (4) Wire win at (3) Salford - Salford eliminated
    Week 3 - (2) Wigan beat (4) Wire - Wire eliminated
    Week 4 - God knows
    I agree with you on week one but I don’t see Wire beating Salford. I don’t think Cas can beat Wire but after Leeds beating them, who knows?

Depends what you do with the time. Not the time for city or beach breaks for the first week.

A good time to practice goalkicking.

Just need to pace both the physical and mental training slightly differently to a 6/7 day turnaround.

It's the time of the season for topping up and working on a specific parts of gameplan
    ie wet weather kick chase ,drop goal drills etc.

So Mr mander,, what's your gf prediction? I mean which 2 teams will get there?my initial prediction was Saints v Hull FC lol
    Head says Saints V Wigan. Heart wants Saints V Salford.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Impressed with wire coming 4th in a two horse race.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Not good imo. Its never been much of an advantage imo. If we win in two weeks time we don’t then play for another 2 weeks. We go into the final having played only one game over the previous three weekends. Having said that im not keen on us losing our first attempt to get to the final. After being so strong at home this season a loss at home in the play offs could really hurt the players confidence.
    The main advantage of a week off is that it could allow someone to be fit to play as in 2000, when it was said that Cunningham would not have been able to play but for having had an extra week to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    The main advantage of a week off is that it could allow someone to be fit to play as in 2000, when it was said that Cunningham would not have been able to play but for having had an extra week to recover.
    Or it could backfire and they could go into the final technically fit but underdone and not match fit. It can go both ways.
    I think i have more concerns of Holbrooks ability to prepare us for a big game following a 2 week break

I think where it can work to our advantage is if we beat say Wigan in week 2 then they have to play again in week 3. Four weeks of intense play off/GF rugby can often be too much for a team at the end of a long season

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Salford have shook things up to be fair. Huge ask for Warrington now, winning 4/4 at this time of year is tough.

I expect us to play against Wigan twice.

Interesting game this weekend between Wigan and Salford though. Salford have got a performance in them, not sure they’ve got more than one but I think they’re capable of causing an upset somewhere with Hastings on the field.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

A friend of mine who plays for Saddleworth Rangers thinks the gf will be any 2 from Saints, Wigan or Salford ,,,, I'm inclined to agree
    He’s not exactly mystic meg coming up with that prediction though is he? Its the safest bet to rule out Cas and Salford.
    Personally, ive got a feeling that Salford will shake up these play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Salford have got a performance in them, not sure they’ve got more than one but I think they’re capable of causing an upset somewhere with Hastings on the field.
    Salford have two bites. They have not sweaked into 5th.
    I think they have a good shot at OT.

As a fellow saint,, who would you rather we face in a fortnight.?
    Im not really arsed to be honest. Maybe im stubborn and unwilling to give the opposition any credit but i honestly think we are the only team that can beat us. If we play to our best we will beat anyone. Folk think im cynical at times. Im not. I reckon this Saints team can achieve anything they want to despite our flaws here and there.
    If we get to Old Trafford we may well lose. Theirs equally enough chance that we stick 40 points up the opposition, regardless of who that is.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Salford have two bites. They have not sweaked into 5th.
    I think they have a good shot at OT.
    They’ll have to win more than one game in the play-off’s if they want to win the Grand Final, that was my point. I personally think it would be a big ask for them to win 2 or more games.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

History tells us it'll be Saints Wigan, under the top five it was 1st Vs 2nd on all 4 occasions, winning it is 50/50

Noooobie

So how about...we lose the first semi against the goons, then give the wire scum a cheeky lesson, then back to the goons at old Trafford, this way everyone is match fit for the final and upto speed, and wire scum get a new arse hole given to them... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by twinwillow View Post
    So how about...we lose the first semi against the goons, then give the wire scum a cheeky lesson, then back to the goons at old Trafford, this way everyone is match fit for the final and upto speed, and wire scum get a new arse hole given to them... thoughts?
    My thoughts are - get there at the earliest opportunity and let the others worry about the following week.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

Upside
    Non Members

Not a chance of going into a game hoping to lose

Banned

You're an idiot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

This may sound strange, but I've spoken to some Wigan fans recently and they all said while they love beating us, they hate Warrington even more,,, seens to a mutual respect between us and Wigan fans
    Not strange at all. Wigan are the enemy, our oldest and most important rival, but there is history there and a mutual respect about what the other club means in the game. We both want to pulverise the other, but neither of us would want the other not to exist and not be there to pulverise!

Warrington on the other hand were always a local irritant, further down the pecking order of glamour games in the 80s-90s than Widnes and Leeds, and even Hull at times. Then they started punching their weight and started provoking rivalries that only existed at a low level. They have succeeded though, because the rivalries they now have with us and Wigan have grown, but unlike the Saints-Wigan rivalry there is no respect at all on any side. Wire don't have the class and the history to back the rivalry up, and for their fans it's all about getting one over on us now because there is nothing historic that they can throw at us, whilst Saints and Wigan fans both look at them as johnny come lately's who aren't really on our level historically.

So, there is something far more annoying about losing a Cup Final to Wire, even though they aren't our biggest and most famous rival. They'd love to be, they'd dearly love to have the history and the gravitas to be, but their stature and size simply don't stand up to the scrutiny. If they had 5-10 years of mediocrity we'd look at them as a local irrelevance. Look at how irrelevant Widnes became to us, and they actually have a history of winning league titles, world club championships etc in the last 30 years. Wire would follow in the same guise, but have a few more loud mouthed fans still trying to provoke us long after we'd moved on.

But, when Wigan were crap a while ago and we were winning everything we still treated them as the enemy. Wigan have earned the hatred we have for them. Wire haven't. Big difference

This may sound strange, but I've spoken to some Wigan fans recently and they all said while they love beating us, they hate Warrington even more,,, seens to a mutual respect between us and Wigan fans
    If we were to lose the Grand Final it would be more painful for us to lose to Warrington imo. I can’t bare the thought of them ending their Championship drought at our expense.