Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Playoffs

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    If we were to lose the Grand Final it would be more painful for us to lose to Warrington imo. I can’t bare the thought of them ending their Championship drought at our expense.
    I would say if our completion rate is over 80% and our defence plays to par we would be very difficult to beat and we don't fear anyone, composure is the main factor to become super league champions.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I would say if our completion rate is over 80% and our defence plays to par we would be very difficult to beat and we don't fear anyone, composure is the main factor to become super league champions.
    I agree but we don’t show any composure when it comes to big games (even regular season games), instead we try to score off every play. If we stop overplaying in the wrong areas of the pitch then we’ll win the Grand Final but our big game performances under Holbrook suggest that’s unlikely.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    I agree but we don’t show any composure when it comes to big games (even regular season games), instead we try to score off every play. If we stop overplaying in the wrong areas of the pitch then we’ll win the Grand Final but our big game performances under Holbrook suggest that’s unlikely.
    "We don't show any composure in big games (even regular season games)"...………………………...remind me, how did we get on in the following big games in the regular season; Wigan, Wire, Hull FC, Salford, Castleford, Leeds (okay almost a "big game"!). I think there was at least a hint of composure in the regular season my friend!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

We've only had one Super Leaguegame in the last 12 (yes I'm aware of Wembley) where we've conceded more than two tries..

If our composure and set completion is anything like, we'll be fine

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Just thought, if it's a Saints/wire final at old Trafford, would wire fans getting a train to Manchester pass through St Helens first? That could be amusing
    The answer is no they wouldn't, but jeez, you ask some weird questions!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Not strange at all. Wigan are the enemy, our oldest and most important rival, but there is history there and a mutual respect about what the other club means in the game. We both want to pulverise the other, but neither of us would want the other not to exist and not be there to pulverise!

Warrington on the other hand were always a local irritant, further down the pecking order of glamour games in the 80s-90s than Widnes and Leeds, and even Hull at times. Then they started punching their weight and started provoking rivalries that only existed at a low level. They have succeeded though, because the rivalries they now have with us and Wigan have grown, but unlike the Saints-Wigan rivalry there is no respect at all on any side. Wire don't have the class and the history to back the rivalry up, and for their fans it's all about getting one over on us now because there is nothing historic that they can throw at us, whilst Saints and Wigan fans both look at them as johnny come lately's who aren't really on our level historically.

So, there is something far more annoying about losing a Cup Final to Wire, even though they aren't our biggest and most famous rival. They'd love to be, they'd dearly love to have the history and the gravitas to be, but their stature and size simply don't stand up to the scrutiny. If they had 5-10 years of mediocrity we'd look at them as a local irrelevance. Look at how irrelevant Widnes became to us, and they actually have a history of winning league titles, world club championships etc in the last 30 years. Wire would follow in the same guise, but have a few more loud mouthed fans still trying to provoke us long after we'd moved on.

But, when Wigan were crap a while ago and we were winning everything we still treated them as the enemy. Wigan have earned the hatred we have for them. Wire haven't. Big difference
    Exactly.

Why is it weird? Perfectly normal geographical question to anybody
    Probably considered weird as St Helens does not lie between Warrington and Manchester..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernard View Post
    The answer is no they wouldn't, but jeez, you ask some weird questions!
    Doesn't he just. He's petrified of the big bad Warrington fans.

No worries. I just thought both towns may have been on the same rail line,,, and i am right as direct trains go from Warrington to St Helens Junction,,,, sorry to disappoint you st bernard
    They do but that would be in the opposite direction (I live near the Junction).

Liverpool to Warrington Bank Quay runs on same line but is a different route after Earlestown. Next stop & last stop is Bank Quay. And vice versa

Manchester trains go Junction, Earlestown, Newton, Patricroft, Eccles, Victoria. And vice versa

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Doesn't he just. He's petrified of the big bad Warrington fans.
    By all accounts knows some ladies though

Ah right,,, i believe the junction is quite far from central?
    We'll yeah. It's a bus ride/car ride. Probs take you half hour to 40 mins to walk it

Esp my Norwegian ladies,,, will be their first time in Manchester
    Hope they can drink

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    By all accounts knows some ladies though
    Aye, we've heard, he's probably scared of them too.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Cas will do them , no doubt in my mind , and if we don't come across each other us and cas in the final .
    I was spot on though Fishy , Salford to do the other shower , and here we go lol.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would