Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swinton Lions petition

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Two superb cover tackles from Gary Connolly that day kept us in the game, the best youngster I had ever seen play at Saints until KC.
    I think Gary was only 17 though KC may have been a year older.

Think KC was also 17

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Think KC was also 17
    Honestly don`t know and trying to rely on memory instead of Google
    I think Gary had just gone 17 and Keiron may have been close to 18 but quite happy to be wrong, as both were very good and stand out then, they both went on to be World Class with one being arguably the best ever in his position.

Banned

I remember going to Station Rd once as a kid but only remember it being a crap game and a cold, miserable place. If I had to guess it was around 30 years ago.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    They have nothing to lose as they have nothing. The game at junior level is fast disappearing from these former bedrock places. Sadly neglected by the super league clubs and the RFL in general. They used to hold the Lancashire cup final and many of the Challenge cup semi's there. Have attended on many occasions but so long ago.
    Been to some great Saints V Swinton games at Station Rd. A great atmosphere. Makes you wonder where the game has gone wrong.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Been to some great Saints V Swinton games at Station Rd. A great atmosphere. Makes you wonder where the game has gone wrong.

I think this is a great insight to where the game has gone wrong, insular people scared to embrace change when society has grown and clubs have stayed static

Manchester v Newcastle is something that sells
    Gateshead v Swindon less so

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Honestly don`t know and trying to rely on memory instead of Google
    I think Gary had just gone 17 and Keiron may have been close to 18 but quite happy to be wrong, as both were very good and stand out then, they both went on to be World Class with one being arguably the best ever in his position.
    I'm sure i remember him playing at 17 but could be wrong

Yes both world class

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    While I do feel for the few loyal fans who are upset by this, the text of that petition basically reads like an explanation of why a change of this nature is absolutely necessary. As the petition says, they are perennial strugglers with no geographical base and a core support of 3-400.
    It's a tough call, isn't it?
    I can see the boards point of view, but I can also understand why some of the fans are against it.

It does raise the interesting question of 'how much can a club change before it becomes a different club and not the one you'd continue to follow'?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Unfortunately I think the actions of what I am sure are passionate fans may have actually signed the death warrant for their own club.

Echo some of the above. Think my first Saints cup final was the 1976 Premiership at Station Road against Salford.
    Think my last visit there was Gary Connolly's debut in a Challenge Cup game?
    8oó
    Didn't he make his debut v Hull Kr?

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    8oó
    Didn't he make his debut v Hull Kr?
    You may be right but I seemed to recall that cup game was his first outing but I'm no statto! Have to consult the Heritage site when I get a minute.

Banned

You may be right but I seemed to recall that cup game was his first outing but I'm no statto! Have to consult the Heritage site when I get a minute.
    Allready looked it was Hill Kr can't beilive it was 30 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Allready looked it was Hill Kr can't beilive it was 30 years ago
    I stand corrected.

I'm still relatively pleased with my memory though as the Swinton game was the following week! -

22nd Jan 1989

W
    1 Hull K.R. L 1988~89 H 29 0 VIEW

29th Jan 1989

W
    1 Swinton CC1 1988~89 A 16 5 VIEW

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    This just in.

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/news/board-statement/

Swinton diehards probably need to can the petition and open up a justgiving page , having chased off their benefactor.

The fans do seem to have shot themselves in the foot, but what would our reaction be if a new chairman took over at Saints and wanted to re-brand us as Liverpool??

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    The fans do seem to have shot themselves in the foot, but what would our reaction be if a new chairman took over at Saints and wanted to re-brand us as Liverpool??
    We play in St Helens - different

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    We play in St Helens - different
    Agreed. I don’t think for a second that it’s straightforward but given that they’ve been Swinton in name only for 27 years now it’s not quite the same as a club like Saints or Wigan suddenly rebranding.

I would be up in arms to be honest. I was when they tried to re brand us as "Saints RL" a few years ago.
    Difference is a club that's been in the Doldrums for possibly half a century down to a hardcore of couple of hundred fans who's had a nomadic existence.
    It's very sad but I think it was a last throw of the dice by Andy Mazey and it's been rejected.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I would be up in arms to be honest. I was when they tried to re brand us as "Saints RL" a few years ago.
    Difference is a club that's been in the Doldrums for possibly half a century down to a hardcore of couple of hundred fans who's had a nomadic existence.
    It's very sad but I think it was a last throw of the dice by Andy Mazey and it's been rejected.
    Agreed we're not in the same sorry state as Swinton so its unlikely to ever happen but the fans emotions would be the same.

I don't think there's anything down for Swinton, it's a relatively small area and hasn't got an Independent I.D like Salford.

Upside
    Non Members

12,000 attending fans would be up in arms as opposed to 300

Upside
    Non Members

It reminds me of a pub I used to live near

It was a medium to large pub with a real strong cohort of mature drinkers. The pub wanted to modernise and bring in food, there was uproar, claims of never going in again, ruining a good old pub, upsetting the locals etc.

They changed and the pub became very popular and profitable. Many of the drinkers who claimed they'd never set foot came back. Another pub about 500 yards away remained the same, tried to cater for the drinkers, that ones now shut down as all the old drinkers have passed away or returned to the Busy pub

Point is, cater for small numbers you will eventually have none

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    It reminds me of a pub I used to live near

It was a medium to large pub with a real strong cohort of mature drinkers. The pub wanted to modernise and bring in food, there was uproar, claims of never going in again, ruining a good old pub, upsetting the locals etc.

They changed and the pub became very popular and profitable. Many of the drinkers who claimed they'd never set foot came back. Another pub about 500 yards away remained the same, tried to cater for the drinkers, that ones now shut down as all the old drinkers have passed away or returned to the Busy pub

Point is, cater for small numbers you will eventually have none
    Which pub had the best looking barmaids?

Banned

Saints v Wigan at Station Road 1971 in front of a crowd given of 20 000 add 5 onto that in reality and we won the Championship in the last minute thanks to William Benyon. It was in my opinion at that time a bit classier than Central Park and seemed bigger as well. RL own goal not buying it and making it a Twickenham of the north "not in Yarkshire though eh.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Saints v Wigan at Station Road 1971 in front of a crowd given of 20 000 add 5 onto that in reality and we won the Championship in the last minute thanks to William Benyon. It was in my opinion at that time a bit classier than Central Park and seemed bigger as well. RL own goal not buying it and making it a Twickenham of the north "not in Yarkshire though eh.
    Yep I was there and won the "pie-eating" contest in the pub organised by the landlord of the pub over the road , cant think of the name of the place = owing to the alcohol consumption. PS 9 meat and potato , and no i didn't throw up.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Yep I was there and won the "pie-eating" contest in the pub organised by the landlord of the pub over the road , cant think of the name of the place = owing to the alcohol consumption. PS 9 meat and potato , and no i didn't throw up.
    You beat the Wiganers. eating pies?? Hard to believe .

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You beat the Wiganers. eating pies?? Hard to believe .
    Wigan only win when it's humble pie

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    I remember two great Premiership finals; 1976 and 1977 at the old Station rd. I think the last time i went there with my old dad was in the Murphy coaching era when fans were listening to one of his half time team talks in the changing rooms under the old stand. It involved loads of expletives and not much else. Happy days though!
    expletives very good word for effing & blinding lol...

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    My God I wish I had been there . One thing I miss in Thailand is a Pimmies meat & potato . Couldn't have ate 9 tho'.