Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Academy

Banned

Is the game played at the home of the team that finishes the highest ?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by johnno65 View Post
    Is the game played at the home of the team that finishes the highest ?
    Yes.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

As a Wigan fan I will be disappointed if it is played as the curtain raiser as I struggle to get to the DW on time for the 7:45 kick-off after work so have no chance of making it. If I miss it it will be the only U19s home game I will have missed all season. I feel sorry for the Saints fans if they do have to pay full price. I took time off work a few years ago to watch a final at the DW and it was attended by two men and a dog as people can't get there in time for a 5:30 kick-off

Main blame is the RFL saying that it should be played on a (first team???) ground decided by the highest placed team in the final with appropriate facilities for sponsors etc. We didn't have that at Orrell but we may have it at Robin Park if we're lucky.

Maybe LSV on a Saturday and a stand alone match would have been a better solution. Nice little ground, good facilities, neutral venue etc. would make it a bit more of an occasion. Only drawback would be that it's in Leigh.

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    As a Wigan fan I will be disappointed if it is played as the curtain raiser as I struggle to get to the DW on time for the 7:45 kick-off after work so have no chance of making it. If I miss it it will be the only U19s home game I will have missed all season. I feel sorry for the Saints fans if they do have to pay full price. I took time off work a few years ago to watch a final at the DW and it was attended by two men and a dog as people can't get there in time for a 5:30 kick-off

Main blame is the RFL saying that it should be played on a (first team???) ground decided by the highest placed team in the final with appropriate facilities for sponsors etc. We didn't have that at Orrell but we may have it at Robin Park if we're lucky.

Maybe LSV on a Saturday and a stand alone match would have been a better solution. Nice little ground, good facilities, neutral venue etc. would make it a bit more of an occasion. Only drawback would be that it's in Leigh.
    Good call and I could see that drawing a couple of thousand. Trouble is who is responsible for footing the costs of staging the game? If it’s Wigan you can understand them putting it on as a curtain raiser as opposed to paying out additional rent, stewarding costs etc

Got A Season Ticket

Went to the saints Wigan academy grand final a couple of years ago at saints ( stand alone event) and it was great.
    Good crowd, very good rugby.
    Play the game on its owne for me cheap tickets big crowd
    Last edited by Saintfryer; 14th September 2019 at 11:02. Reason: Spell checker

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Announced after our 50:22 win over Warrington today that it will be the curtain raiser for next weeks play off game.

In The South Stand

Well Warringtons ground is neutral.

In The South Stand

I have just read that 5 lads have been promoted to the academy , one of them is Tommy Martyns lad I will be the first to be pee Tommy off by saying I hope his lad is as good as him .

Saints fans can watch the game on Friday for £5 and £3 when using a certain turnstile (P5) in the North Stand according to the club’s Instagram page

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hZ-hcg...d=nljlwxekbns3

Banned

Both Wigan Warriors and Saints have agreed the Academy Grand Final will go ahead at the DW Stadium this Friday with kick off at 5:30pm. ��

Saints fans can gain access via Turnstile P5 of the North Stand with match tickets priced at £5 for Adults and £3 for all concessions on the gate ��️

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Both Wigan Warriors and Saints have agreed the Academy Grand Final will go ahead at the DW Stadium this Friday with kick off at 5:30pm. ��

Saints fans can gain access via Turnstile P5 of the North Stand with match tickets priced at £5 for Adults and £3 for all concessions on the gate ��️
    Can we stay and shout for Salford or will they send us home after the match? LOL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by palval View Post
    Can we stay and shout for Salford or will they send us home after the match? LOL
    I can't see them sending us home when we'll at least double the amount of Salford fans.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 17th September 2019 at 21:48. Reason: RG wears tenalady

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post

Glad to see there has been some common sense applied to Saints fans attending the game. Managed to get the afternoon off work after a bit of negotiating with my boss. Looking forward to it.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I have just read that 5 lads have been promoted to the academy , one of them is Tommy Martyns lad I will be the first to be pee Tommy off by saying I hope his lad is as good as him .
    I could answer that, but I won’t.
    Hopefully they will all go on to play for the first team, good luck to them.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Saints fans can watch the game on Friday for £5 and £3 when using a certain turnstile (P5) in the North Stand according to the club’s Instagram page

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hZ-hcg...d=nljlwxekbns3
    At least some sort of common sense has prevailed but it's still really difficult to get there for a 5.30 start, for both sets of fans. It's an insult to them and the players as they'll be playing the biggest game of the season in front of a virtually empty 25k seater stadium.

It would have been so much better to have this as a stand alone game on Saturday or Sunday afternoon at Orrell. That place is just about the right size and it would be a great atmosphere with 1-2,000 packed in there.

Somebody has mentioned the final at Saints a couple years back (when Richardson kicked the winning goal). It was a great match and a great atmosphere from a sizeable crowd.

But insisting it's played at JJB and, therefore, as a curtain raiser shows, once gain, the incompetence of Rimmer and his cronies at the RFL and their amazing ability to continually shoot themselves in the foot and discredit the game. It's another example of them alienating the players and fans and just generally cocking things up.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    At least some sort of common sense has prevailed but it's still really difficult to get there for a 5.30 start, for both sets of fans. It's an insult to them and the players as they'll be playing the biggest game of the season in front of a virtually empty 25k seater stadium.

It would have been so much better to have this as a stand alone game on Saturday or Sunday afternoon at Orrell. That place is just about the right size and it would be a great atmosphere with 1-2,000 packed in there.

Somebody has mentioned the final at Saints a couple years back (when Richardson kicked the winning goal). It was a great match and a great atmosphere from a sizeable crowd.

But insisting it's played at JJB and, therefore, as a curtain raiser shows, once gain, the incompetence of Rimmer and his cronies at the RFL and their amazing ability to continually shoot themselves in the foot and discredit the game. It's another example of them alienating the players and fans and just generally cocking things up.
    A little off topic but continuing from the above: Do we know if anyone else was considered/interviewed for Rimmer's job or was it just that he was next in line for the buffets.

Learning All The Songs

They seem to be announcing five each week that have signed. I think it is 15 signed now from the 16 year old.

Upside
    Non Members

Is it the rfl who control the start time? Isn't it super league academy?
    I'm pretty sure the hosting team set the time and date

In The South Stand

I was at the Academy final you speak about and it was a very good game played in a good atmosphere and it doesn't do justice to the way the young lads have played all season for the final to be played when nobody has had time to get their . There are clubs not involved in anything who could have played it as a game on its own.

Upside
    Non Members

I was at the Academy final you speak about and it was a very good game played in a good atmosphere and it doesn't do justice to the way the young lads have played all season for the final to be played when nobody has had time to get their . There are clubs not involved in anything who could have played it as a game on its own.
    I would prefer it on its own, I think Wigan planned this as it's their home advantage and could pick the day time. I guess they see it as giving their fans an extra game to watch and if they win they get to share it with a good crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I would prefer it on its own, I think Wigan planned this as it's their home advantage and could pick the day time. I guess they see it as giving their fans an extra game to watch and if they win they get to share it with a good crowd
    My take on the rationale behind this, and I stand to be corrected by our crust munching friends, is that it had to be at a SL standard ground and, as Wigan were the higher placed team, they were the ones to host it. As Wigan RL don't have a ground the cost of playing it stand alone at JJB, assuming there was a slot in the calendar with no football, would be prohibitive as the crowd and subsequent revenue wouldn't be worth it. So, other than forfeit home advantage, Wigan's only option was to play it as a curtain raiser.

If Wire had won the semi there would have been no issue as it would have been played at LP.

It's the RFL insisting it has to be at a SL ground (why?) and then Wigan's fault for not having one that are the issues.

Got A Season Ticket

Right for a fiver I'm off to the pie dome on Friday night , might even dust me wedding dress off

Upside
    Non Members

My take on the rationale behind this, and I stand to be corrected by our crust munching friends, is that it had to be at a SL standard ground and, as Wigan were the higher placed team, they were the ones to host it. As Wigan RL don't have a ground the cost of playing it stand alone at JJB, assuming there was a slot in the calendar with no football, would be prohibitive as the crowd and subsequent revenue wouldn't be worth it. So, other than forfeit home advantage, Wigan's only option was to play it as a curtain raiser.

If Wire had won the semi there would have been no issue as it would have been played at LP.

It's the RFL insisting it has to be at a SL ground (why?) and then Wigan's fault for not having one that are the issues.
    Would it be the rfl ? Do they run the academy or SL? It's a SL academy. I think it's a pure guess that somebody has told them they must play at a SL ground, there are minimum requirements for normal rounds, I would imagine these are the same

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Other issue is what happens if there is a draw and extra time played. Will Wigan and Salford have to cut short their warm up or will the match on Sky have a delayed kick off?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Would it be the rfl ? Do they run the academy or SL? It's a SL academy. I think it's a pure guess that somebody has told them they must play at a SL ground, there are minimum requirements for normal rounds, I would imagine these are the same
    I think it would be the RFL, yes. They were the ones involved in the Reserve Grade issues and the decision to bring that back, and that comp includes non-SL teams. So I'm pretty sure they have the same jurisdiction over the 19's, which is a similar set up. Bit weird, I admit, as the top tier of the SL clubs is run by SL but the lower levels, it would seem, by the RFL. But, as I always say, this is Rugby League where common sense is a rarity.