Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: Chairman in the Mirror

  1. #26
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,884
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Ah yes, I forget. Warrington are the 11th most successful club in Rugby League history. The way their fans go on, you’d think they’d dominated.



    Hey wankey wankey, wankey wankey wankey wankey Warrington....


    Hey wankey wankey, wankey wankey wankey wankey Warrington....
    I think they like getting on the nerves of their more illustrious neighbours, Wigan, Widnes & Saints.

    Rubber Dinghy has been infuriating me since June.

    It is a bit stupid replying back but when they don't get the boot from the forum, you just end up giving it them back anyway.

    What he's doing is putting bait on here, then running back to his cyber friends on the Wire forum going: 'Look What I did, Look What I did.'

    He's like a rubbish version of Bart Simpson
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  2. #27
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,884
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Living in Leeds Fridays are just a killer for me to get to games. But I do find that catching the odd game live can be more enjoyable than it was when I went week in week out due to the routine.

    I think as you get older other things replace the sheer tribalism of sport. I know when my dad had kids he stopped attending as often. Same with myself, but always keep and interest and the bug starts to come back.
    I'd spend my Friday nights in Greek Street instead I'll be honest
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  3. #28
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Living in Leeds Fridays are just a killer for me to get to games. But I do find that catching the odd game live can be more enjoyable than it was when I went week in week out due to the routine.

    I think as you get older other things replace the sheer tribalism of sport. I know when my dad had kids he stopped attending as often. Same with myself, but always keep and interest and the bug starts to come back.
    That's probably what I miss more than anything although there's plenty of other factors too. I've never stopped caring apart from a short spell before KC got sacked (did care I just wanted him sacked) and even then I still watched games. My Dad and Brother still go but sit in the North stand, I couldn't do that every week though. As mentioned work had took over my life but I'm taking steps to change that, going again next season will be one of those things.

  4. #29
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    As chair of the economy board he is in position to make a difference together with like minded people. The town needs this commitment because the Council will not take a lead. It will take time but at least he's moving things in the right direction.
    I think the Council has recently taken out a low interest loan of £26m to purchase St Maryís market so that it can lead the re-development of part of the town centre. At least itís going to try to improve things, hopefully in conjunction with other initiatives throughout the borough.

  5. #30
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think the Council has recently taken out a low interest loan of £26m to purchase St Mary’s market so that it can lead the re-development of part of the town centre. At least it’s going to try to improve things, hopefully in conjunction with other initiatives throughout the borough.
    That's the thing though, they just seem to get so much wrong. They've already driven plenty of businesses out of the town, both large and small. They're incompetent, greedy and don't appear to have the first clue where the issue's lie.

  6. #31
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Yes mate Oldham won it around 1958 and the mighty Wire in 1955. This side of the hill only Rochdale Hornets lag behind the might Wire. I just find it a bit odd and a bit sad that regular posters are talking of not going. The only reason we have our own stadium and are doing OK finance wise is fans going through the turnstiles and buying a pie and a pint. We dont have much in the town lets not lose basically our strongest asset.

    I do agree re comments on the council they are a pretty clueless lot.

  7. #32
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    That's the thing though, they just seem to get so much wrong. They've already driven plenty of businesses out of the town, both large and small. They're incompetent, greedy and don't appear to have the first clue where the issue's lie.
    Given that private landlords set rents and central government determines business rates, I’m not sure that the Council has had much control over retaining/attracting business. I do know that they attempted to get Primark to open a store where The Range is currently but Primark demanded an annual payment of at least £1m to come to St Helens. At least getting ownership of St Mary’s Market gives the Council some say while they have been quite active in getting industry to come to the borough by using green belt land. I’m not a supporter of the Council, by the way, but at least they seem to be trying to do something positive.

  8. #33
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Given that private landlords set rents and central government determines business rates, I’m not sure that the Council has had much control over retaining/attracting business. I do know that they attempted to get Primark to open a store where The Range is currently but Primark demanded an annual payment of at least £1m to come to St Helens. At least getting ownership of St Mary’s Market gives the Council some say while they have been quite active in getting industry to come to the borough by using green belt land. I’m not a supporter of the Council, by the way, but at least they seem to be trying to do something positive.
    Fair enough, you seem more up to speed than me on the issue.

  9. #34
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Well those last few posts were a real breakthrough, politicians take note!

  10. #35
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chiang Rai Thailand
    Posts
    589
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Nothing to with rugby this i know, but can anyone recommend a good pub in St Helens town centre? Its been 8 years since i last had a night out there and the mrs and myself are having a few hours there on Saturday night. Some people have said the town centre is crap and others say its good, just thought I'd ask on here? Thanks in advance
    Last time I was in England I stayed for 6 weeks in a flat near the Cricks . I am not a big drinker but went in there to watch the rugby on the big screen . It is friendly & sells a crackin' pint but I would call it a mans pub . I am sure someone will recommend a better place to take your mrs.

  11. #36
    Got A Season Ticket jaybs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Newton-le-Willows
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, you could always pull down the one that's already there, it should have been Voll anyway
    Was the Vote Fixed? it did not reflect our Club History fully.

  12. #37
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,407
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Was the Vote Fixed? it did not reflect our Club History fully.
    In these kind of votes, it always happens that more contemporary choices get more support than older ones (you see it in 'best songs ever' type polls). Partly as more recent choices are more in people's memories; partly because the younger section of voters won't have built an appreciation for the older choices.

    Personally, in terms of ability and impact I think Murphy. But he doesn't exactly have a good track record of behaving like a true Saint towards the club.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  13. #38
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,304
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Cunningham the player was a great choice, he's from St Helens, he is synonymous with our recent success and he was an incredible player in his own right

    I'm glad he got the statue despite his struggles as coach

  14. #39
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Was the Vote Fixed? it did not reflect our Club History fully.
    I very much doubt it and I voted for Cunningham at the time but wouldn't care in the slightest now if it was torn down. As far as I'm concerned it's tainted and that was his own doing.

  15. #40
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,407
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I very much doubt it and I voted for Cunningham at the time but wouldn't care in the slightest now if it was torn down. As far as I'm concerned it's tainted and that was his own doing.

    Tearing it down would send a really shoddy message.

    As Retro-man says, he was a superb player, one of the best of the modern game. Given his one-club credentials and the fact his time with us coincided with our most consistently successful period, it was fitting. Regarding his coaching, it quickly turned into an utter shambles. But for me it was his pigheadedness and attitude towards/comments about the fans that really left a sour taste.

    Still, I wouldn't remove the statue


    PS - although not on the scale of the Ronaldo/Niall Quinn bust, does anyone else think the statue is a bit 'not very good'?
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  16. #41
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Cunningham the player was a great choice, he's from St Helens, he is synonymous with our recent success and he was an incredible player in his own right

    I'm glad he got the statue despite his struggles as coach
    Take anything from Jaybs with a huge pinch of salt.

    He is at the very best a disaffected Saints fan with a grudge against the club and particularly Eamon.

    He recently commented on an article in the Guardian were "my club" related to London and he ended up with the hope that Wigan win the Grand Final.

    Higher class of troll but troll all the same....

  17. #42
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    954
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Tearing it down would send a really shoddy message.

    As Retro-man says, he was a superb player, one of the best of the modern game. Given his one-club credentials and the fact his time with us coincided with our most consistently successful period, it was fitting. Regarding his coaching, it quickly turned into an utter shambles. But for me it was his pigheadedness and attitude towards/comments about the fans that really left a sour taste.

    Still, I wouldn't remove the statue


    PS - although not on the scale of the Ronaldo/Niall Quinn bust, does anyone else think the statue is a bit 'not very good'?
    I agree, I didn't say it should be torn down, just that I wouldn't be bothered if it was. Yes, he was a fabulous player, one of the best I've seen live and had the privilege to do so for years but there's no argument that there's bad feeling towards him now. Sad really because we all wanted him to succeed but he made his own bed in the end.

  18. #43
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,783
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Tearing it down would send a really shoddy message.

    As Retro-man says, he was a superb player, one of the best of the modern game. Given his one-club credentials and the fact his time with us coincided with our most consistently successful period, it was fitting. Regarding his coaching, it quickly turned into an utter shambles. But for me it was his pigheadedness and attitude towards/comments about the fans that really left a sour taste.

    Still, I wouldn't remove the statue


    PS - although not on the scale of the Ronaldo/Niall Quinn bust, does anyone else think the statue is a bit 'not very good'?
    I'm with you in that he got the statue as a great player rather than a failed coach.
    Like another poster, If I could I would have voted for Vollenhoven, Murphy was a great player, but I played under him after he left, and at that time he hated Saints. KC held Saints to ransom over his contract. As it was limited to local players, I voted for Wellens, who to the best of my knowledge was a great clubman as well as a great player.

  19. #44
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,793
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Yeah mate itís been a gradual thing, probably since the Salford game a few years ago when people around me were booing Paul Wellens when his name was read out. Didnít even go to Wembley.
    FWIW the mood about the place has changed a lot in the last couple of years.

  20. #45
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,884
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Still plenty available with the George tonight. 4pm departure £13.00. PM me if interested only sold 25
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  21. #46
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Was the Vote Fixed? it did not reflect our Club History fully.
    I seem to have been castigated by a few people for light heartedly suggesting that the statue could be pulled down to make room for one of the chairman or in my opinion Vollenhoven He called Saints fans sheep, who had no knowledge of the game. He was a great player but his attitude afterwards was awful. The most important thing was he lost the true value and ethos of the club by his vision of the type of Rugby he wanted us to play, as soon as Holbrook came, the shackles came off and we started to play the type of Rugby that Saints are renowned for.It was noticeable that none of his former team mates came out with any meaningful supportive comments when he was released Sincere apologies if I upset people, but I STILL go every week like I have done for the last sixty plus years and support the Saints and we all are entitled to have an opinion
    Last edited by Woolyback; 13th September 2019 at 13:03.

  22. #47
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,793
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I seem to have been castigated by a few people for light heartedly suggesting that the statue could be pulled down to make room for one of the chairman or in my opinion Vollenhoven He called Saints fans sheep, who had no knowledge of the game. He was a great player but his attitude afterwards was awful. The most important thing was he lost the true value and ethos of the club by his vision of the type of Rugby he wanted us to play, as soon as Holbrook came, the shackles came off and we started to play the type of Rugby that Saints are renowned for.It was noticeable that none of his former team mates came out with any meaningful supportive comments when he was released Sincere apologies if I upset people, but I STILL go every week like I have done for the last sixty plus years and support the Saints and we all are entitled to have an opinion
    Jonah Cunningham looked a decent prospect at one point so I don't think that's a stick to bash KC with. And that thing about Jack Owens being his daughter's fella turned out to be nonsense as well.

    KC was clearly out of his depth as a coach and responded to pressure in a regrettable manner. Personally I don't think that it's worth holding a grudge over and it doesn't negate his achievements as one of the greatest players ever to play for the club.

  23. #48
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    In town
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Councillors, politicians are all corrupt, incompetent and greedy. They're also hypocrites, immigration suppresses wages. This is why the biggest fans of opening our borders are multinational and British corporations. So much for Labour helping the working classes.

  24. #49
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Living in Leeds Fridays are just a killer for me to get to games. But I do find that catching the odd game live can be more enjoyable than it was when I went week in week out due to the routine.

    I think as you get older other things replace the sheer tribalism of sport. I know when my dad had kids he stopped attending as often. Same with myself, but always keep and interest and the bug starts to come back.
    I live in Cornwall now with my very young children so I only saw one live match last year. Iím still proud of my home town and itís great team and our chairman does and fantastic job

  25. #50
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    This man is a visionary, we would not have our club as we have it now without him. He said he wanted to be around to build the stadium, he now wants to redevelop the Town, he is a pillar of all things St. Helens.
    We have a Stadium that is in the town centre, across the bridge and you are in Church Square, not some faceless corporate retail park or inside an industrial estate.
    Long may he continue but do not join any political parties stay on the outside you are more effective Eamonn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •